Park between the white lines dear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do supermarkets insist on putting these parent and child bays right in front of the entrance, disabled bays I can understand, but if you need a wider bay for baby, could they not be put round the corner, once out the car it's either in a buggy or shopping trolley.

When I take my two kids I have to walk up to the door of the supermarket holding the 1 year old and holding hands with the 3 year old, and carrying shopping bags, to get to where the suitable shopping trolleys are kept, so it is a lot safer and more convenient if the parking is not too far off. Also there is a difference between the parent spaces and disabled bays: in the latter case the supermarkets are fulfilling a statutory obligation, in the former they are catering to a core customer demographic - if they didn't they would hand a competitive advantage to another chain.

When I take my two kids I have to walk up to the door of the supermarket holding the 1 year old and holding hands with the 3 year old, and carrying shopping bags, to get to where the suitable shopping trolleys are kept, so it is a lot safer and more convenient if the parking is not too far off. Also there is a difference between the parent spaces and disabled bays: in the latter case the supermarkets are fulfilling a statutory obligation, in the former they are catering to a core customer demographic - if they didn't they would hand a competitive advantage to another chain.
Of course that's why. It's just more fun for me to complain about the supermarkets pandering to noisy brats!

I still can't understand why children with two parents have to be carted around supermarkets. Why not leave them at home with one parent whilst the other does the shopping? Work schedules may SOMETIMES make this inconvenient for some people, but wake up - children are inconvenient. Why inflict your inconvenience on others? If there's never a time when neither parent is working, how the *&%$ did you get the kids in the first place? ;)

Of course there are exceptions when there are no alternatives (such as a single parent or one parent away from home for a long period). But if you want a day out together (as you should), take the sprogs to the park! Much better for everyone.

Of course that's why. It's just more fun for me to complain about the supermarkets pandering to noisy brats!

I still can't understand why children with two parents have to be carted around supermarkets. Why not leave them at home with one parent whilst the other does the shopping? Work schedules may SOMETIMES make this inconvenient for some people, but wake up - children are inconvenient. Why inflict your inconvenience on others? If there's never a time when neither parent is working, how the *&%$ did you get the kids in the first place? ;)

Of course there are exceptions when there are no alternatives (such as a single parent or one parent away from home for a long period). But if you want a day out together (as you should), take the sprogs to the park! Much better for everyone.

As Lee says complain to the supermarket! As it happens I'm fairly sure that families with kids buy more from the supermarket, and hence from their point of view are more desirable.

My wife has always shopped with our daughter in the week. Why would we want to use any of our leisure time shopping apart.

If you really want to avoid children I'd suggest home delivery.

I think that Knighterrant is actually touting for a part on the programme 'Grumpy Old Men'.

This does not affect me as i always park in the furthest corner of the car park so i dont get a di..head park so close to my car i need a can opener to get in!

Tony.

View attachment 37290

This was taken in a petrol station in ashford. It's not that clear in picture but the car in front of the focus is facing direction of travel, not sure what this guy was thinking but at least he can have a straightforward exit by mounting the kerb and driving over pavement.

Have a bit of pity- the man is obviously suffering from " oh my god my fuel filler cap is on the wrong side of the car "--itis. People suffering from this complaint suffer the recurrent delusion the dispensing pump hose is only a couple of feet long. :rolleyes:

I think that Knighterrant is actually touting for a part on the programme 'Grumpy Old Men'.
I'm a founding member of that honourable organisation and still awaiting the recognition we deserve by being allocated our own individual 3m wide parking garages next to every supermarket door.

DP recommended "If you really want to avoid children I'd suggest home delivery." My youngest sister came into this world by home delivery, and very successful a birth it was too. So I agree that this is a good idea. The young lady who lives opposite us has two children under the age of 5 and the Ocado van visits them every week, so she has clearly already taken DP's advice on how to help clogging up the supermarkets with non-purchasers.

BTW, I love kids. I wouldn't give so much of my free time to working at a primary school filled with 460 of them if I didn't. I wouldn't look forward with a passion to spending time with my grandchildren if I didn't love kids. But there's a time and a place for everyone and everything.

He's not alone, as this contribution to the Pet Hates thread indicates...

Clumps. Amorphous clumps of humanity congregating everywhere - but most irritatingly in the space immediately in front of me that I wish to occupy.

Time was when people used to go shopping on their own and with a sense of purpose, but these days shops and supermarkets seem to have become the latest destination for a family day out. I've lost count of the number of times I've been prevented from getting to a shelf due to a mother and her brood of variously-aged children being gathered around it, or some indecisive Darby and Joan-type couple arguing over what they want for their supper. And then there are the lovey-dovey youngsters, wandering around in their own little dream world. Heavens above! I did my courting at the park, or the gallery, or the theatre - not in the local grocercy store. It seems romance is not only dead, but buried.

Why does it suddenly take more than one person to go shopping? How much smaller could these gargantuan temples to consumerism be if they didn't have to accommodate up to four or five hangers-on for every actual customer.

And just try taking a walk down a busy shopping street (as I ill-advisedly did this evening) without having your path continually blocked by tourists who tumble out of Tube stations and then seemingly find themselves glued to the pavement en masse. Or dizzy blondes tottering along, either with their eyes fixed on shop windows or engaged in the posting of some Earth-shatteringly important tweet, oblivious to the fact that they're walking straight towards me. And a simple "Excuse me!" no longer serves any useful purpose, as their hearing will undoubtedly be devoted to whatever trash is pouring forth from their iPod. Many's the time I have had to resort to the utter rudeness of clicking my fingers in front of them simply to avoid a collision.

Well, tonight I'd had enough, and adopted a new but inspired technique. I have, on occasions, made animated use of my arms to try and direct oncoming pedestrians to give me a sufficiently wide berth, or to indicate on which side I intend to pass them, but tonight I went for The Full Jesus and marched down Knightsbridge with my arms fully outstreched. While I have no doubt that this would have given onlookers reason to doubt my sanity and thus stay well clear, I would conversely argue that it actually preseved it, as up to that point I was of a mind that I ought to have brought a chainsaw with me to cut a swathe through the madding crowd.

^ you just have to love a fellow Grumpy Old Git. I haven't yet adopted the outstretched arms (nor indeed the chainsaw) approach to filtering through the madding crowds. At over 14 stone and 6ft tall I counter the "can't be bothered to look where I'm going because my phone is more important" and the "it's absolutely necessary for me to form an impenetrable path-wide group with my friends so you'll just have to walk into the road to get round me" aliens by standing stock still and not wavering a micron from my position. The most favourable reactions are from the welded phone brigade when they bump into me and the shock wave shudders all the way to their feet. But it's also pleasing to observe the sea of conjoined pedestrians part like the Red Sea faced with Moses. :devil:

Thats bit vague I would say.

You oversimplify what I would call lack of courtessy towards other fellow being.
To illustrate every possible combination of acts that are examples of people not demonstrating courtesy would take several volumes, not a few lines within this forum. Apart from winding up those who defend the special parking spaces for parents (a grumpy old git deserves some pleasure surely?) I wanted to explain to Simon that his response to the lack of consideration shown by someone parking in "his" space was a far more serious and inconsiderate act. Had that space been taken by another parent he would have had to find somewhere else to park. Instead he chose to cause maximum inconvenience by parking in an area that wasn't set aside for the purpose. That to me is a far greater example of a lack of courtesy towards a fellow being.

I was NOT defending the man who erroneously parked in a parent/child space. That's not as bad as parking in a disabled person's space without just cause, but it's still wrong. I may not agree with the need for parent/child special parking spaces, but if they're clearly marked for that sole purpose then the rest of us shouldn't use them. Personal retribution against those that do is, to my mind, a more serious misdemeanour.

With regard to the parent child parking places as far as i am aware it does not state anywhere that you actually have to have said children with you!.....:doh:

Tony.

With regard to the parent child parking places as far as i am aware it does not state anywhere that you actually have to have said children with you!.....:doh:

Tony.
That's good. I have two children so I can use the spaces. :D (Just don't tell anyone that my children are 39 and 41)

I still can't understand why children with two parents have to be carted around supermarkets. Why not leave them at home with one parent whilst the other does the shopping? .

Never understood why so many people take their children to the supermarket for the express purpose of shouting & screaming at them and from time to time smacking them.

Perhaps they are afraid that they will be grassed up to the Social Services if they do it at home.

BTW, I love kids. I wouldn't give so much of my free time to working at a primary school filled with 460 of them if I didn't. I wouldn't look forward with a passion to spending time with my grandchildren if I didn't love kids. But there's a time and a place for everyone and everything.
To be honest, I agree with your sentiments; my wife either sends me with a shopping list or she goes on her own (never together, she mooches, whereas I speed around the aisles which doesn't make a good combination)

He's not alone, as this contribution to the Pet Hates thread indicates...

Yes, you already know that I agree with the windmill technique, although I prefer the basketball block to the dippy daydreamers and the stop-dead-randomly-in-the-middle-of-the-path types.

Never understood why so many people take their children to the supermarket for the express purpose of shouting & screaming at them and from time to time smacking them.

Perhaps they are afraid that they will be grassed up to the Social Services if they do it at home.

They do it so the little treasures can push the trolley into everyone they can see or sit in a trolley where other people PUT THEIR FOOD

To be honest, I agree with your sentiments; my wife either sends me with a shopping list or she goes on her own (never together, she mooches, whereas I speed around the aisles which doesn't make a good combination)

Yes, you already know that I agree with the windmill technique, although I prefer the basketball block to the dippy daydreamers and the stop-dead-randomly-in-the-middle-of-the-path types.

If the good Lord had intended men to go shopping he wouldn't have invented queues

... my wife either sends me with a shopping list or she goes on her own (never together, she mooches, whereas I speed around the aisles which doesn't make a good combination).
I used to think that was just a factor of Mars and Venus, but we're now getting plagued with mooching males too. :eek: I say males, but of course that may be an erroneous assumption on my part. The sexual freedom that we now "enjoy" allows a lot to happen in the 75 million miles between the two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom