Park between the white lines dear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another bugbear in Supermarkets is the 10 items or less queue.
FFS it's quite simple, if you have more items than you have fingers then **ss off to another till

Another bugbear in Supermarkets is the 10 items or less queue.
FFS it's quite simple, if you have more items than you have fingers then **ss off to another till

What about if you've got half a dozen apples plus nine other items?

I love these threads. How did we get from piss-poor parking to Grannie Smiths in the space of a couple of pages?

As an aside, it's a private car park (Asda) so what law if any has been broken?

A policeman recently told me that if a shopping centre car park has been marked out with parking bays, left & right lanes, give-ways etc, then it is subject to motoring laws. Surprised me too.

Never understood why so many people take their children to the supermarket for the express purpose of shouting & screaming at them and from time to time smacking them.

Perhaps they are afraid that they will be grassed up to the Social Services if they do it at home.

I quite often take my four year old son to the supermarket ; I am generally going in for something or other , but Harris loves to come for a look at the toy department , or to get either a kids' magazine or some sweets .

I have to say I cannot remember him ever throwing a tantrum in any supermarket and I have certainly never had occasion to scream at him . I may occasionally raise my voice in a controlled manner ( no loss of temper on my part ) if he misbehaves , or even give him a measured slap across the wrist if he has done something that might result in harm coming to him ( such as going near a hot stove , or running around near traffic - but he knows the rules about such things these days so it tends not to happen ) and I need to make the point ( it hurts me more than it hurts him if I do that , and I can't remember doing it in months , so I am not a parent who goes around slapping children constantly ) .

If children are behaving badly in supermarkets and other places , I would blame it on bad parenting rather than the children themselves . I have a grown up daughter by a previous relationship who turned out allright , and my youngest seems to be doing just fine too .

When I take my two kids I have to walk up to the door of the supermarket holding the 1 year old and holding hands with the 3 year old, and carrying shopping bags, to get to where the suitable shopping trolleys are kept, so it is a lot safer and more convenient if the parking is not too far off. Also there is a difference between the parent spaces and disabled bays: in the latter case the supermarkets are fulfilling a statutory obligation, in the former they are catering to a core customer demographic - if they didn't they would hand a competitive advantage to another chain.

The real competitive edge would go to the first supermarket to provide bigger spaces for EVERYONE . Very few supermarket car parks are ever anywhere near full , so it would not hurt to provide bigger spaces at the expense of having a few less . It would still be right to have disabled and P&C spaces nearer the doors , but if the normal spaces were larger then you might not get so many people misusing the special ones , not people with 'special' cars parking selfishly across two bays .

The only place which seems to provide decent sized spaces is Costco , which is more of a 'cash & carry' than a normal supermarket .

A policeman recently told me that if a shopping centre car park has been marked out with parking bays, left & right lanes, give-ways etc, then it is subject to motoring laws. Surprised me too.

Indeed , RTA applies on any land with public vehicular access , regardless that it may be privately owned .

The question is what applies exactly...

I can understand that the general speed limits for example apply, but I doubt that the private land owner has the authority to put up legally binding road signs and marking...

So if the land owner puts-up a sign limiting speed to 10mph, then I would expect speeding above 10mph (but below 30mph) to be a civil dispute (i.e. breach of contract by the motorist) rather than a traffic offense that can be pursued by the authorities?

And the same would apply to parking and stopping, presumably - all civil matters?

Of course other offenses such driving without due care or talking on your mobile would be prosecutable, but not anything relating to road signs or marking put-up by the private land owner?

If children are behaving badly in supermarkets and other places , I would blame it on bad parenting rather than the children themselves.
100% correct. It's only bad parents who think otherwise.

The question is what applies exactly...

I can understand that the general speed limits for example apply, but I doubt that the private land owner has the authority to put up legally binding road signs and marking...

So if the land owner puts-up a sign limiting speed to 10mph, then I would expect speeding above 10mph (but below 30mph) to be a civil dispute (i.e. breach of contract by the motorist) rather than a traffic offense that can be pursued by the authorities?

And the same would apply to parking and stopping, presumably - all civil matters?

Of course other offenses such driving without due care or talking on your mobile would be prosecutable, but not anything relating to road signs or marking put-up by the private land owner?

For a start , vehicles still have to be road legal ( taxed , MOT'd , insured ) and you could be prosecuted if found with a defect just the same as on the public highway .

Your comments on speed limits are probably spot on , but other offences such as drink driving , DWDCA etc can be dealt with just the same as on public roads .

While 'road markings' and signage may not have much legal standing , in the event of a collision , or a pedestrian being knocked down , these would be taken into consideration by insurance , and possibly by police if someone was injured .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom