Park Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kelvyn

Car
W202 C200, Saab9000 lpt
The park brake on my 99 C200 wont stay on. I arrived home from work today, pulled onto the drive, put my foot on the park brake and it just sprung straight off again. After a bit of fiddling around I noticed that the release handle feels disconnected.
Could it be that the release cable has broken? Does anyone have a link to a diagram that shows the mechanism and its operating cables
Thanks in advance Kelvyn

ask cars with stars.

Danny has all the diagram database etc..

He is in Muswell Hill area

If it was anything like my C270, you'll have to get under the back seat, take the plate off and see if the cable has come detached. This is generally due to lack of adjustment.

If it was anything like my C270, you'll have to get under the back seat, take the plate off and see if the cable has come detached. This is generally due to lack of adjustment.
Thanks for the reply but I think you may have mis-understood. The brake works OK it just wont ratchet on. It must be something to do with either the ratchet mechanism on the pedal or the cable that runs from the release handle to the pedal.
I guess on the plus side it would be easy to do handbrake turns at the moment.

The plastic gear that makes up the ratchet will be broken or the spring come off.

After investigating earlier today I spotted a small tension spring dangling. The bottom end appears to have broken off, not that I would know where to re-attach it if it was intact.
Have to say I am impressed by Dieselmans online diagnostic skills, he was spot on. Thanks again

very late reply but my 8 year old fixed a similar problem it's very easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom