Park on drive , or not ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Much depends on your area

If you're wealthy in a poor area, you'll attract attention.

But if you're just one of many in your area, you're a far less attractive proposition.

Glance around London, the place is has more insanely expensive cars than Cheshire. Relax, it may seem valuable to you, but the streets are full of more nickable cars: X5's, Range Rovers, Evoques, etc etc.

Obviously basic security rules should also be followed: CCTV, no keys in the hall etc etc.

Good advice but yes Done all that , had a new front door and frame built (extra thick ) and had three lock fitted to it and two shoot bolts and we also have a door entry system so we do t have to open the door to see who's there !

Well with those precautions park it on your drive,you might think of getting a recording of one of those guard dogs barking,a bit cheaper than feeding and owning a dog,and do not for get autowatch well worth the £400 fitted.

As someone else suggested get Autowatch Ghost installed - completely disables the car until you press a button combination in the car or have your phone or something with you.

But then again, you seem more concerned about break in rather than it actually going. Your house seems very secure, so I'd just leave it on the drive - maybe have a pole installed as a deterrent etc but I never know whether those things attract more attention anyway (ie. someone may overlook it as a basic C class when glancing past rather than, "Oh that must be worth something if he's going to those lengths to protect it")

I think that parking in the street would be a sensible move if you are (rightly) concerned sbout your family's safety - yes, a persistent thief will follow you and find-out where you live, but why make life easy for them?

The harder they have to work to get your car, the more likely they are to choose another target.

So yes, I think that parking the car away from your front door will statistically reduce the risk of having your house burgled (or worse) for the kyes :thumb:

On another note, parking in the street inevitably means scratched bumpers due to the old-banger drivers brigade who think that you are supposed to actually bump into other cars' bumpers..... :(

Main deterent to burglars are: CCTV, security flood lights, dogs, reinforced doors and/or bars on windows.

If they see those then they are likely to choose a 'softer' target.

Personality I think cctv is a waste of time,
1-people put the cameras too high thus you can't see their faces
2-unless you spend a fortune the night picture quality is poor
3-only takes a hood and a scarf and the cctv is useless.
If they want it then they will get it, put it on the drive and be done with it

You're right it's pretty useless as a means to identify individuals, but useful to know retrospectively what actually happened, which way they went, how many there were, maybe catch an accomplice's number plate, etc.

Also if you did end up in a scuffle with them, and in self defence you seriously hurt them, CCTV could prove it was an act of self defence.

We are not dealing with people (thieves) that inhabit our world where rules, decency and laws apply.

These people dont care about CCTV (masks + scarves), industrial strength doors or alarms as they will wait until you park the car and get the keys or follow and car-jack you in the supermarket car park.

These people only understand one language - violence - either giving it out to get something or as a deterrent to move them on to a weaker / softer target.

Scare them off without getting the car and they will return until they do.

Sad days indeed and not worth the potential hassle IMHO.

Kenny

Also if you did end up in a scuffle with them, and in self defence you seriously hurt them, CCTV could prove it was an act of self defence.

Or it could show you used unreasonable force? These things are always a double edged sword...

How's that going to help if the only way they can steal the car is to kick your door in and put a knife to your throat? You're going to hand over keys to the car and the lock.

All a big stupid yellow disc lock is going to do is encourage them as they'll think you're likely very old and sticking to old habits.

If I were a car thief I would be looking for the easiest car to get in and get away with .
If I saw one with a disklok on I would be thinking that is extra time needed to get the car away when having to unlock it. And obviously more time for the owner to phone police or get some attention from neighbours passers by etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The subject isn't the opportunist thief more those targeting specific model, stolen to order. A different breed of thief all together

It was a suggestion you clown.
keep ur comments to yourself if you have nothing to offer the OP.

Here we go again, I seem to attract replies from illiterate people who's only retort is to be personally abusive. :doh:

We are not dealing with people (thieves) that inhabit our world where rules, decency and laws apply.

These people dont care about CCTV (masks + scarves), industrial strength doors or alarms as they will wait until you park the car and get the keys or follow and car-jack you in the supermarket car park.

These people only understand one language - violence - either giving it out to get something or as a deterrent to move them on to a weaker / softer target.

Scare them off without getting the car and they will return until they do.

Sad days indeed and not worth the potential hassle IMHO.

Kenny

This ^^^.

Sad, frustrating, but true :(.

NJKMR.

It was a suggestion you clown.
You clearly have all the answers though... oh no you didn't suggest any help... keep ur comments to yourself if you have nothing to offer the OP.

One more remark like that and you're gone. KAPEESH?

Last edited:
The only effective deterrent is dogs. We have lived in rough areas most of our lives and when we have not had a dog have been victims of burglaries. Get a metal key cabinet to help prevent keyless theft, fit a tracking device to help get the car back and maybe catch the thieves and always answer the door with a well trained adult large dog.
a3a96a7812925d2f15d2627e9fa6f934.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hi

I have a c63s coupe on the way for 1st September

I live in London , I have a driveway on quite a busy road, house has CCTV and alarm which we put on at night etc
If your car will have Keyless go, I would make sure you keep your key in some Faraday Cage pouch so signal is not boosted and car taken from your driveway.

I think it depends on the area, whether to keep the car on a street or at driveway. Busy street works both ways, easy to run away with stolen car but there's always someone driving and it may stop burglars/thieves from targeting you.

If your car will have Keyless go, I would make sure you keep your key in some Faraday Cage pouch so signal is not boosted and car taken from your driveway.

I think it depends on the area, whether to keep the car on a street or at driveway. Busy street works both ways, easy to run away with stolen car but there's always someone driving and it may stop burglars/thieves from targeting you.

A quick double press of the lock button disables the keyless function until you unlock it. I would guess that the people who use the equipment to activate your keyless would not break in to get the keys but then again I don't have the mentality of these low life people.

The only effective deterrent is dogs.

Colleague of my wife's went home at lunchtime as usual to let the dog out - found the front door open and the house burgled.

She called the Police and went off looking for the dog. Police found it asleep on the bathroom floor, having been fed doped meat. Police told her it's very common as so many people have dogs.

I guess having multiple dogs lessens the chance of that happening!

Colleague of my wife's went home at lunchtime as usual to let the dog out - found the front door open and the house burgled.

She called the Police and went off looking for the dog. Police found it asleep on the bathroom floor, having been fed doped meat. Police told her it's very common as so many people have dogs.

I guess having multiple dogs lessens the chance of that happening!
Probably although i suspect the noise of the fighting to get the doped meat would be a good deterrent

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom