Park on drive , or not ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Much though i hate to say it... Why get a car that your going to loose sleep over or be terrified your family is going to be held up potentially at knife point ( or worse ) I would if i were you and had to live in London buy a skoda superb or the like or better still escape the hell that is London.

surely this simple question doesn't warrant a new thread :D

As with some of the comments, if they want it, doesn't matter where you leave it, it will be gone. And if they can't get in, they will break into your house.

I realise this is an old thread, but going back to the original question, parking on drive or road, don't insurance companies prefer drive parking? Certainly they ask the question, and for a car that is perceived to be a thief magnet, I think I would ask the insurers for their opinion/advice.

(Might I ask the OP which he chose, drive or Road?)

Much though i hate to say it... Why get a car that your going to loose sleep over or be terrified your family is going to be held up potentially at knife point ( or worse ) I would if i were you and had to live in London buy a skoda superb or the like or better still escape the hell that is London.

Mmm - don’t remember saying that I was terrified ! And I definitely never loose sleep! But concerned that I was plonking a fairly expensive car outside my house and had been reading lots of car jacking stories - mostly to be fair from the midlands...And was canvassing some advice.

London’s a fantastic city , I was born here and I can’t see me leaving , yes there is crime but buy and large it feels very safe to me.

And I would never buy a skoda superb. (I’d lease that bad boy) ...

surely this simple question doesn't warrant a new thread :D

As with some of the comments, if they want it, doesn't matter where you leave it, it will be gone. And if they can't get in, they will break into your house.

This , in a nutshell , was my take on it - if I look out my window I can see a new m3 , a slk55, a Sl55 and a lovely Aston. None of these cars have been stolen - the only car I know locally that’s gone since I lived here was a 5 year old freelander ....

I realise this is an old thread, but going back to the original question, parking on drive or road, don't insurance companies prefer drive parking? Certainly they ask the question, and for a car that is perceived to be a thief magnet, I think I would ask the insurers for their opinion/advice.

(Might I ask the OP which he chose, drive or Road?)

Ultimately the more you have the more of a target you become, where ever you live... ... whether that's a nice house full of gadgets, nice cars, etc, etc. Why oh why do we put up with members of society that don't warrant the air they breathe is beyond me.. It is absolutely not acceptable to believe you have a right to take something you've not paid for. and you should be prepared to met with force if you try.... CCTV, alarms, dogs, baseball bats, where does it end... And I'm someone who has all of these and more...

Drive !! It was just new purchase anxiety .. I have cctv and an alarm and my house is secure as it can be . What else can I do. Cars Are a passion I have , And I didn’t want to not indulge that passion because of what might happen. Next step I was going to be sitting inside wearing a tin foil helmet !! I’m terms of insurance the drive thing made little Difference - about £20 from memory so i just tell them that it’s on the street that way I can park away from my house if I want without worrying. I also got gap insurance for three years so if the worst does happen I’m getting a brand new motor ! My car may we’ll get stolen one day , who knows, but I definitely don’t worry about it And it’s parked on the drive every night (And driven every day as a daily driver )

I understood that the risk of your car being taken is less if you park in the road, because the toe-rags don't know what house to break into to get the keys.
The insurance companies seem to agree because they will increase your premium if you park on your own drive.

Having read through the whole of this thread - all very interesting.
I agree with the majority - if they want it, they'll take it. I do think it's a case of "suck it and see" to be honest. But equally, you/we can't live life thinking "What if?" We'd never have anything nice and live out of charity shops.
with the parking issue - I do know that, with my insurance it reduces my premium if the car is on the drive as opposed to my garage. More claims have been made from bikes falling from walls and scuffed bumpers when putting our cherished little number away at night. Bizarre but true.
OP - what spec and colour di you opt for? Pics (taken on the drive of course) would be nice. Brighten the thread a little

I understood that the risk of your car being taken is less if you park in the road, because the toe-rags don't know what house to break into to get the keys.
The insurance companies seem to agree because they will increase your premium if you park on your own drive.
Makes sense - but you would of thought less dings , key marks etc

you/we can't live life thinking "What if?" We'd never have anything nice and live out of charity shops.

Grum71- exactly this comment is what I have come to think - my mum passers away a couple of years ago and I vowed to try and live my life with as much joie de vivre as possible, Easier said than done but I’m trying !

Having read through the whole of this thread - all very interesting.
I agree with the majority - if they want it, they'll take it. I do think it's a case of "suck it and see" to be honest. But equally, you/we can't live life thinking "What if?" We'd never have anything nice and live out of charity shops.
with the parking issue - I do know that, with my insurance it reduces my premium if the car is on the drive as opposed to my garage. More claims have been made from bikes falling from walls and scuffed bumpers when putting our cherished little number away at night. Bizarre but true.
OP - what spec and colour di you opt for? Pics (taken on the drive of course) would be nice. Brighten the thread a little

Here you go Grum 71 - on the drive as requested !!

Attachments

• C8B22307-EF7C-4F51-AA5F-8FBB317A1A4D.jpeg
    C8B22307-EF7C-4F51-AA5F-8FBB317A1A4D.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 30
Very nice. Suits the drive ;). Hope it's creating smiles with every turn of the key :D

Makes sense - but you would of thought less dings , key marks etc

You wouldn't claim for these though as they would more than likely not exceed your typical excess.

Even if not, I wonder how many would claim on the basis of their premiums going up.

Unless this is not what you meant...

I wound't go as far as saying that I would not buy an AMG or other performance car for fear it will be stolen.

But I will say that having a lowly C180 I am very happy that I don't have to worry about it being stolen.

Hope this makes sense.

6 weeks after I got me cla 45 we were taregetted at 4pm when our elsdest could have been home alone! I had the keys with me house is alarmed with 4 cameras at the front car was on drive we have a big dog. 4 big blokes went round the back and popped the patio door! Thankfully they didn’t hurt the dog, couldn’t see the key on the key rack and ran off but it shook us up!
I hid the car for a while and had big fences, gates erected at considerable cost. Still the wife was nervous so I sold it after about 5 months. I’ve had 3 expensive cars since and thankfully no issues but am again considering an AMG. Camera doorbells by ‘ring’ are really good you can set exact trigger areas which notify your phone straight away and give sound and vision instantly. They also trigger internal alarms to warn you of someone approaching. Try to enjoy your fantastic purchase just be vigilant and leave keys on show downstairs just in case!

Drive !! It was just new purchase anxiety .. I have cctv and an alarm and my house is secure as it can be . What else can I do. Cars Are a passion I have , And I didn’t want to not indulge that passion because of what might happen. Next step I was going to be sitting inside wearing a tin foil helmet !! I’m terms of insurance the drive thing made little Difference - about £20 from memory so i just tell them that it’s on the street that way I can park away from my house if I want without worrying. I also got gap insurance for three years so if the worst does happen I’m getting a brand new motor ! My car may we’ll get stolen one day , who knows, but I definitely don’t worry about it And it’s parked on the drive every night (And driven every day as a daily driver )

Good Man. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom