Parked in front of my driveway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Asked already, sixty-something pounds.

There's the answer then.

There's the answer then.

What a bunch of *****. NO that is NOT the answer. The question was is it legal to paint white lines, myself?

I'm not paying the council ~£60 for a fivers worth of paint.

Why does everyone here think they're so clever and everyone else is an idiot?

What a bunch of *****. NO that is NOT the answer. The question was is it legal to paint white lines, myself?

Man hours costs, as does you're time I guess. £60 seems good value to me for an easy life. I suppose you could paint the line yourself if you could get hold of the paint heat it up and apply with out being seen. You then risk a potential fine and perhaps a criminal record?

I can't even fill up my cars tank full of fuel for £60, but then you won't be able to if someone is blocking the exit from you're driveway.

No offence intended.

Last edited:
Simon ,the guy doesn't want help , he just wants to moan on a forum , and its pretty bloody boring now .

Get it sorted and shut up .

EDIT : It's not emulsion like you paint your hallway with , it's high temperature epoxy paint , cost a bit more than a fiver.

Last edited:
Have a look back for yourself :)

You'll notice from the drawing that the other car was parked to one side of the drive not overlapping it. Even if there was a car parked there I don't see how there was no room to get out - it may have been tight but it should have been possible.
Tight - depends how close the car on the right actually was. But and S class is 1870mm wide and standard keb stones 800mm - the rear bumper of the 4*4 looks to be in line with one of the drip kerb stones so allowing for the overhang of the spare tyre that leaves 1500mm to the start of the ramped kerb stone, 1870mm probably takes you to the a line projecting from the OPs wall - which the OP can't get up tight against so he'd have to thread himself through at an angle. The angle would proably need the rest of the ramped kerb sone to be clear to stand even the slightest chance of swinging round without taking the car opposite out.

Obviously without an original "before" photo we'll never know - you may be right - but we are taking about an S class here. I actually did a 100mm either side reverse, at an angle, reverse off a driveway at lunchtime, because of some prat buying their Sunday paper who had to park as close as they could to the shop.

Last edited:

I can sympathise with your situation, but getting upset with people on the forum who are mostly here to help is not the way to get your problem solved. I understand that some peoples views/opinions may not be to your liking but it's their opinion regardless if it's perceived by you as a pile of rubbish. What work do you do my friend? I do a lot of Consultation in the Security industry. Mainly Door supervisors/ close protection. Now most of my consultations require 15-30 sheets of A4 paper per consultation, how much is that worth £2??? What I'm saying Is that it costs a client a lot more money than £2 for my expertise... It's not the materials, it's the people involved. I worked for a security company a good few years back and because of the unlit company car park they decided to have bays done in reflective white paint as the car park was used 24/7. We were given a price by a company and worked out at about £130 for 1 litre of paint.
I hope you get your problem solved. Good luck.:thumb:

Last edited:
I suspect that you aren't an idiot , but your post makes you seem so.

The answer to the overall question , about problems getting on your driveway is to get the council to put the white lines down. Hence my answer.

I don't think i'm particularly clever , but even i know that you can't go painting white lines on the road yourself. I suspect , being that you have a nice car , you must be fairly successful and therefore that you are fairly smart yourself , so i would have thought that this may have occurred to you ? perhaps i was wrong.

So , if you wish to split hairs, that answer is 'no' to painting the lines yourself , but the answer to your main question , over a hundred and fifty posts ago , about sorting out your driveway , is to get the council to paint white lines.

£60 is about a tank of petrol , a small price to keep your blood pressure ( and perhaps your online aggression ) down ?

Hope you get it sorted .

Best wishes

sorry, but it gets harder and harder to believe your posts

A 'BIG' 4x4 turns out to be quite a small one, parked all the way across your drive meant just the rear end overhanging, getting white lines painted goes from

Just got off the phone to the council. Apparently there's a charge of £47.50 for a white line!

to this over the weekend

Asked already, sixty-something pounds.

Now, both of those are direct quotes from your posts, they can't both be true

The drawing and the photograph are completely different - they can't both be true

I would have thought that paying either 60 quid or 47 quid, depending upon which post you believe, is pretty small money to effectively prevent the stress of this problem of small tonka toys or corsas parking in the non-space between the driveways.

I that situation I would simply pay up and move on to something else. Good value, I would have thought

Gings....can you imagine the next post if he pays for white lines then gets blocked in again......:doh:
I'll hear him from Scotland..............:D

I don't think the council markings are legally enforcable.

I don't think the council markings are legally enforcable.

thats correct, when i looked into getting a dropped kerb, they said i could have white lines painted also, but its only to warn others of the access, and they wont ticket anyone parking on them

I had to have white lines painted by Birmingham Council (£75) after I'd had the drive widened to allow the pimpmobile to be parked on the drive. It alleviated some of the problems but I still get idiots parking well past the dropped kerb so my solution has been to leave a note stuck to the screen with brown parcel tape, it leaves a nice brown line where it sticks to the screen. :rolleyes:

Recently the council have applied for and have received permission under the Traffic Management Act to fine or remove cars parked over dropped kerbs with warning notices posted up to September followed by action from that date. I'm hoping that several commuters, office and shop workers are going to return to their cars after that date to find them gone.

So in answer to glojo's question then yes they are enforceable if the local council has applied for the power.

I had to have white lines painted by Birmingham Council (£75) after I'd had the drive widened to allow the pimpmobile to be parked on the drive. It alleviated some of the problems but I still get idiots parking well past the dropped kerb so my solution has been to leave a note stuck to the screen with brown parcel tape, it leaves a nice brown line where it sticks to the screen. :rolleyes:

Recently the council have applied for and have received permission under the Traffic Management Act to fine or remove cars parked over dropped kerbs with warning notices posted up to September followed by action from that date. I'm hoping that several commuters, office and shop workers are going to return to their cars after that date to find them gone.

So in answer to glojo's question then yes they are enforceable if the local council has applied for the power.
Thanks, but mine was a generalised response and reading your reply it reads like the order is for vehicles parked between dropped kerbs and not these white line markings that are being discussed?

Could you please publish the oreder so that we can clarify that statement? :)

I don't think there is any excuse for folks parking across someones driveway and as I keep saying.... Wedo not have a right to park on the public highway and neither do we have the right to pretend to own that piece of highway just outside our property

Unless

The council has authorised designated parking areas

A road fund licence allows us to use the public highway, not obstruct(park) on it :)

My pet hate is peoplethat park opposite our driveway as it makes my wife drive over the kerb when we go out in our stretched limo

You could always put a large sign at the bottom of the drive " Anyone parking across this drive will have the air let out of their tyres" .

I'm not suggesting that you actually carry out this action , but just the threat of it ought to be enough to deter most people from parking there .

An old colleague of mine had repeated problems with a neighbour or a friend of a neighbour who used to park opposite his driveway on a cul-de-sac such that he couldn't get out of the end of his drive.

He sorted this problem by moving his project landrover defender closer to the end of his drive and fitting an unpainted steel bumper to the front of it. Looked fearsome from the front (dispite being undrivable)! The cul-de-sac was mostly clear of random parking after that :) .

You could always put a large sign at the bottom of the drive " Anyone parking across this drive will have the air let out of their tyres" .

I'm not suggesting that you actually carry out this action , but just the threat of it ought to be enough to deter most people from parking there .

Might not be the best idea.

There was a neighbour of a friend who used to put notices on our cars when we parked ( completely legally ) outside his house , there were no driveways , no dropped kerbs , no lines or anything , he just liked to keep the space outside his house .... the notices used to read ' I have your number plate ! '

It all ended when one of our friends put a note through his door saying ' You may know my number plate , but i know where you live ... '

An old colleague of mine had repeated problems with a neighbour or a friend of a neighbour who used to park opposite his driveway on a cul-de-sac such that he couldn't get out of the end of his drive.

He sorted this problem by moving his project landrover defender closer to the end of his drive and fitting an unpainted steel bumper to the front of it. Looked fearsome from the front (dispite being undrivable)! The cul-de-sac was mostly clear of random parking after that :) .
:devil::devil:Definitely tempting but our neighboursjust apologise and will always move any vehicles.. It is just so blooming annoying especially as they have a large driveway to park their vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom