Parking Brake, do you use it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine seems to thumk when I release it! Although its not too bad. I never forget to apply it, I do it automatically, its remembering to release it that I frequently forget till it bleeps!

My drive is on a slight hill, and I notice when applying it and then taking my foot off the brake it rolls back slightly as though its really the gearbox holding the car.

Originally posted by sym
Greg

Yeah - it works if you put your foot carefully on the pedal, and follow the travel upwards ... but if you're in a hurry........ "Thunk" !!

..... maybe its just my clumsy flat feet !!

S.

Obviously, I use my hand brake a lot with the car being manual.

The clunk really does annoy me and is not what you would expect is it? One thing I would like different. Definately don't have enough feet to have foot covering that pedal too when releasing!

Whilst on the subject, does the parking brake operate just the rear brakes or all 4?

I know it bleeps in protest if you put on whilst moving!

The park brake operates rear shoes inside the back of the rear discs via cables. There is a self adjuster under the rear seat cushion.

It is a good idea to drive with the parking brake lighlty on for a few yards every few months, this will clean up the shoes and drums from any rust and shite.:bannana:

I have noticed on my current W211 the pedal is also damped, so no bangs.

If parking on a hill I suppose you should put car in neutral, apply the hand brake so it is holding the car, then put it in park.

This will stop any strain on the single pin in gear box.

I use the park brake whenever I am going to get out of the car. It never "thunks" because I now instinctively pull the handle with my foot over the pedal and release it slowly, if you pull the handle while depressing the pedal you can get it to go on without the ratchet clicking sound too! :)

It is a good idea to drive with the parking brake lighlty on for a few yards every few months, this will clean up the shoes and drums from any rust and shite.

How about every few days! I frequently forget to release it:eek:

Robbo

mine only buzzes after a few meters so it gets cleaned quite often.

I have only had the car for about 4 weeks now and it is my first auto. The buzzer goes of after a few metres which reminds me to release the brake!

I always use the foot operated parking brake, well if I am about to park that is.

I love the design, athough mine being elderly is undamped and has no warning buzzer, that said I do not forget to release it before driving off.

Not sure how I would cope with this excellent design coupled with a manual box though!

I have to use mine being that it is a manual. It did take me a while to get used to it too, but now its second nature. My wife on the other hand makes massive detours in her journey to avoid having to ever stop on a hill. :rolleyes:

I wonder what would happen if you took your driving test in one of these as by rights, you have to put the handbrake on *before* putting it in neutral - which of course is impossible. Automatic fail I wonder??

When I lived with my folks and didn't have my own car, my dad would lend me his E 250D (W124 and W210) both manual - usually to give him lifts to and from the pub - I'd always forget how to get home :D

The parking brake did take a while to get used to, but as you say spike, it became second nature.

Going back to a regular handbrake is wierd as well - going for that fourth pedal and the release lever - both of which don't exist!

*Edit*: RE: driving test, I reckon if you explained about the parking brake you'd be fine. You would be on an advanced test.

Last edited:
I use the parking brake all the time. I also keep my foot on the pedal when releasing the brake to stop the 'clunk' and also pull out the dash handle when setting the brake to stop the clicking ratchet noise.

S.

Parking brake?............... they have one?...........Wow, wondered what the other pedal was for.

I have a manual C180 @ the moment so I do always use the parking brake, I agree that the "clunk" when releasing, is very annoying and so un-mercedes like.

......following Steve's advice above Joe, I no longer "clunk" ... (unless I forget, of course !!) :rolleyes:

Originally posted by sym
......following Steve's advice above Joe, I no longer "clunk" ... (unless I forget, of course !!) :rolleyes:

Joe, unless your have 3 feet, don't try it!

That makes 5 manual drivers on this forum that I can think of.

Myself
Maz
Simon
Sp!ke
Joe

I'm thinking there may be a few manual A-Class owners that I have missed.

lol.........Yes Graham I have often thought another leg would be handy in mastering the parking brake.I still have to put my brain into gear when taking off on a hill (so much hand and foot cordination)
I recently hired a Vectra in Ireland and kept reaching towards the dashboard to release the brake....well it made me smile.

My next car is automatic....what will i do with my spare limbs?

Originally posted by GDC200
5 drivers , 15 legs .Should be able to find you ok at the GTG then. LOL

I don't usually take compliments about my 3rd leg from other blokes, but if you insist, call me tripod. :bannana:

minitripod.jpg

tee hee

andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom