Parking Brake, do you use it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
I just wondered how many people use their parking brake?

I always do (although I keep forgetting to release it - never had an auto before) but when I test drove the car the dealer told me most people don't use it they just put it in park.

Obviously only applies to an auto.

Only ever use my parking brake when parking up on a noticeable gradient - have done this in both of my C Classes and neither ever displayed any problems as a result of this (about 50000 miles in each)

Alsways use mine,learnt the hard way,i had a Granada before and never used the parking brake, therefore after a while they wouldn't work, the pin in the calipers had seized and had to have complete new rear brakes at £ 168 +vat a side so now i always use them as a matter of habit.

Always use it whenever I am parked anywhere, can't see the point in Mercedes putting one on it if we weren't meant to use it.
CK500

The transmission is only locked by a smallish pin when its put in park.

The strain on this pin if you dont use the parking brake is rather big. Eventually it will let go which at the least means a gear box strip down and at worse loss of live!

So yes I always use the parking brake.

I have a regular handbrake. Even though my car's an auto I still use it.

I always use the handbrake. I learned the hard way when my a class started to go backwards in reverse as i got out to close the gates as i was leaving...

I am strong enough to hold an A160 auto in idle from moving backwards :D

Quick call on the mobile and it was put back into park:bannana:

I have used it twice and that was when I picked it up from the Stealership.
I have heard that not using it will result in an expensive bill. Something to do with it rusting up.

Cheers
Ian

Always use it when parking a car.

swl

I never use it to park the car (never have done on any of the autos I've owned) but I tend to apply it once a week (or when I remember) just to stop it from seizing up.

Replacing a caliper for a seized pin????? eek that sounds a bit drastic surely stripping it down and freeing the pin would be a whole lot cheaper.

Andy

I like the fact that its hidden out of the way, leaving more room for goodies in the centre console.

I use it regularly when I park the car on an incline.

I can't stand the way that it "Thunks" when you pull the release lever in a very un-damped, un-mercedes, way, and that if you try to put your foot on the pedal as it releases to stop the "Thunk" it results in your foot getting stuck between the pedal and the carpet, and the thing not dis-engaging properly- causing another "Thunk" when you pull the lever for a second time !!

S.

I still can't get used to it and keep forgeting to use it. My missus always uses it and catches me out when I get in to drive the car.
I jump on the brakes after the red light flashes and the beeps start, thinking its the parktronic and I'm gonna hit something.

Greg

Yeah - it works if you put your foot carefully on the pedal, and follow the travel upwards ... but if you're in a hurry........ "Thunk" !!

..... maybe its just my clumsy flat feet !!

S.

do you guys use your parking brake for hill starts, or just use the foot brake?

use it all the time.I get around the thunk by pressing on the parking brake then relesing the handle,No thunk!

I use mine because of all the above reasons.

The transmission lock is only a small pin and I don't like to rely on that.
The parking brake mechanism, shoes and cables are all prone to seizing if not used.

What thunk ?? The new ones are really damped :D

Originally posted by sym
I like the fact that its hidden out of the way, leaving more room for goodies in the centre console.

I use it regularly when I park the car on an incline.

I can't stand the way that it "Thunks" when you pull the release lever in a very un-damped, un-mercedes, way, and that if you try to put your foot on the pedal as it releases to stop the "Thunk" it results in your foot getting stuck between the pedal and the carpet, and the thing not dis-engaging properly- causing another "Thunk" when you pull the lever for a second time !!

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom