Parking Brake Movement Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz76

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus Saloon
My E350 is my first MB. I have driven a number in the past but never enough to get a feel for things.

Any way, in my old car I would put the handbrake on hard and the car wouldn't move one little bit.

In the E350, I park up and put it in park before depressing the parking brake as far as it goes (never got more than 5 clicks). When I then release the footbrake the car moves a couple of inches in the direction of roll.

Is this normal for the parking brake?

It otherwise holds the car extremely well, and the movement is nothing like just using park.

Even more "normal" is the ability to drive off with the parking brake still on.. accidentally.

Mine holds quite well on the first notch. I've used the second notch on hills but never had to use any more than that.

Is it not a function of the "Park", the car always rolls and inch when put into "P".

Is it not a function of the "Park", the car always rolls and inch when put into "P".

I mean the parking foot brake, not the park on the auto box. I assumed the parking foot brake was as good as a hand brake.

Even more "normal" is the ability to drive off with the parking brake still on.. accidentally.

indeed! i started to set off my drive with it on, the v6 3.0 grunt didnt think much of the brake :) mind you I never really apply it hard as the drive locks when in park anyway.

I mean the parking foot brake, not the park on the auto box. I assumed the parking foot brake was as good as a hand brake.

It's one and the same thing, better actually as you can probably put the "foot" parking brake on harder than a "hand" brake.

indeed! i started to set off my drive with it on, the v6 3.0 grunt didnt think much of the brake :) mind you I never really apply it hard as the drive locks when in park anyway.

The nice beeping sound soon slows you down though lol

I think that its made as a basic pass the rules brake, as was said earlier, you can drive off with it on. Not much good as a brake, in real terms

I disagree, I can really feel the car lurch when I accidentally set off with mine. That's the E55 AMG so its a strong engine, might be a stronger park brake??

I do wonder how good the park position on the gearbox is at holding the car still. I always use the parking foot brake when parking for any duration, but otherwise used park on the auto box.

My understanding is that the park on the box is just a pin that engages and so is of little use on a steep hill as it liable to give. Is this correct?

This is my first auto box as well as my first MB!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom