Parking brake warning light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

normanr

Hi All
Just started,when I release the parking brake I am having trouble getting the warning light to go out,the brakes are releasing fine but I have to keep pulling on the release lever before I can get the light to go out.

Thanks
Norman

I don't know what car you have so I'll assume it has a foot operated parking brake.

The operating pedal isn't returning to the fully off position which is where the warning switch is located. Pulling hard on the release lever will not help the pedal return, more likely it'll cause its little spring or the cable itself to pop out of position.

If the rest of the parking brake system is OK, just help the pedal to return with your left foot. Hook it under the pedal while (gently) pulling the release handle and lift it all the way up.

Sorry about that the car is a 2005 C-Class 220CDI with as you say foot operated brake.

I have a Haynes manual for the car but mentions nothing about the foot operated brake mechanism inside the car.

These are notoriuosly unreliable? One option is to not use it but that doesn't help come MOT time as it may fail in being inop. There are plenty of threads on here about it but adjusting it involves removal of the rear seat. Have a search and see what you can find.

Hi Matt
Spot on with what you suggested just tried it and it works every time when I help the pedal up.

Mot not due till April so I have plenty of time to sort it.

Have a good Christmas and New year

Norman

Here's a thread on the parking brake.

It's more about what to do when it doesn't latch or when it fails to release at all, but there are plenty of pictures to give you an idea of what's what and where things are.

I have a theory, as yet uninvestigated, that the pedal failing to fully return is caused by the main spring rubbing against the pedal. If you do stick your head under there take a look for any rubbing marks.

Happy Christmas to you too.

I had the same problem a while back. Removed the rear seat cushion and access plate underneath it, lubricated the mechanism with oil, sprayed the pedal mechanism and release mechanism cable top end with spray lubricant (not WD40 - that's a water displacement fluid) worked the footbrake on and released a few times and hey presto, all ok.

If you do spray the pedal mechanism, place some sort of covering over the carpet to stop any drips falling onto it.

I used GT85 spray lubricant, contains PTFE and is available from any good motor factors and Wilkinsons (I think).

I occasionally have the same problem with my '03 W211. I wonder if it's likely to be the same cure? It releases satisfactorily, but the light does not always go out. WD40 will do the job OK, by the way, though I have some GT85 somewhere as well.

The parking brake on the W211 is pretty punk, though; the W210 before it was much better. Is this normal, or do I just have a dud?

I occasionally have the same problem with my '03 W211. I wonder if it's likely to be the same cure? It releases satisfactorily, but the light does not always go out. WD40 will do the job OK, by the way, though I have some GT85 somewhere as well.

The parking brake on the W211 is pretty punk, though; the W210 before it was much better. Is this normal, or do I just have a dud?

WD40 is basically a water displacer and is fish oil based hence the 'WD', not the best for use as a lubricant or penetrating oil.

grumpyoldgit said:
WD40 is basically a water displacer and is fish oil based hence the 'WD', not the best for use as a lubricant or penetrating oil.

It's name is actually Water Displacement 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom