Parking Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V6BOY

Car
C220
Hey guys, the parking brake on my W204 is very slack i have adjusted it at the wheels is there an adjuster on the cable at all? It seems like the cable has stretched a fair bit.

I believe there is an adjuster under the rear seat squab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I see will have a look on the weekend,not looking forward to fitting a new cable.

Just remove the rear seat squab, have a feel around for the plate below the stuck on sound deadening, cut with a Stanley knife , pop the cover off and adjust away. Did it recently on a W203. Handbrake off, take up some slack with the nut, try it a few times, don't go too mad with the spanner. I believe 6 'clicks' is what you are aiming for. Spray a bit of lube on the mechanism . All good

There is probably an official way which means having the rear wheels off the ground at exactly 37.52 cm @ 34 degrees Celsius and STAR plugged in and the moon aligned with Uranus.

Just don't be silly taking all of the slack out and this will work. :thumb:

How did this go? Ive got a problem with mine. Brakes work fine. Just wont release enough to stop the brake light beeping on ? Where is the middle connection somewhere between the pegal cable and the release handle. The cable coming off the pedal release to the pull handle handle seems loose ? Anybody shine some light on this? Its nothing to do with the splitter adjuster under the back seat, thats all fine and working as it should. It appears to be between the pedal cable and the handle release :(

Maybe it just needs a bit of lubrication so that the mechanism returns more freely?

Brakes working fine has nothing to do with the handbrake.

This is still a little job still to sort. No more input ? Back Brakes working fine work in sync with the shoes and the parking brake. But cheers for the negative bit of input OneForTheRoad even if it was last year lol. Completely pointless comment. Like I said Ive checked the mechanism under the seat, seems ok. Seems there is too much slack at pedal end. Even when its all tightened up to point of just starting to hold wheels the cable is still loose and the pedal has still to come up about 2 inches in order to put off the parking brake light and buzzer. Adjustment at the wheels with that adjuster cog is a joke and always was as its not exactly been proved and tested to work in reality. I will need to have a look at this again since ive got access to WIS/ASRA/EPC now. Any input/advice I would most kindly appreciate it.

Adjustment of the shoes within the drum is the first thing that needs to be 100% correct before commencing with any adjustment with the cable. It is not easy with the silly set up, but it has to be right. You may also need new cables?

This is the old school method
Jack it up, Apply park brake 1 click, adjust shoes until they bind the drum.
Adjust slack out of cable(s)
Release the park brake, check wheels rotate freely.

Yeah the only thing to try is adjustment at the shoes. This stupid so called tightening cog wheel thingy does my head in with all cars. It just never ever ever ever ever ever has worked for me attempting to adjust. They are almost impossible to access with the brake disk on. Some advice on best way forward doign this process. Apart from patience and lots of coffee lol

This is the old school method
Jack it up, Apply park brake 1 click, adjust shoes until they bind the drum.
Adjust slack out of cable(s)
Release the park brake, check wheels rotate freely.

Yeah the only thing to try is adjustment at the shoes. This stupid so called tightening cog wheel thingy does my head in with all cars. It just never ever ever ever ever ever has worked for me attempting to adjust. They are almost impossible to access with the brake disk on. Some advice on best way forward doign this process. Apart from patience and lots of coffee lol

I don't know how the current method describes adjusting these star wheels but on my 190e it used to say adjust until the wheel binds and then back off 6 clicks or some similar number. I found that method to be hopeless and used to back off only enough to prevent the brake shoes binding which seemed to work much better. I never had a problem with turning the star wheel once you knew which direction to turn them. It wasn't the same direction for both sides. I've yet to do the adjustment on the W204 but the first thing I'll do is get out the old manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom