Parking Brake ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

t4hir

Car
E240 W211
Just got myself an E240 auto, lovely car ... my drive is on a slight slope and when parking facing up the slope, there is a slight 'roll back' when engaging the parking brake with the auto in park mode.
What is the best way to test the 'strength' of the parking brake?

Going by what my C43 does that's pretty normal, I think it's a combination of the parking pawl settling into a groove and the swap between the foot brake which operates the rear pads and the parking brake which operates the rear shoes. If you want to test the parking brake I would suggest parking on a very steep hill and engaging the parking brake with your foot ready on the foot brake just in case.

MOT stations can test a parking brake and put a figure on it for you as there is a minimum spec to pass the MOT. It's not hard to pass though so anything that fails or barely passes has a very poor parking brake. MB's are up against it by having very small brake shoes inside the rear disc hub so correct adjustment of the shoes is essential.

Just got myself an E240 auto, lovely car ...

You may also want to check SBC hold mode if you're not already aware of it.

The W211 E240 will be pre-facelift so still have the SBC brake system.

Gents - I’ve got this Same issue, press hard on the foot/parking brake pedal, 5 clicks, still rolls back as if it’s doing barely anything. How far down should the pedal go? 3 clicks to me sounds about right?
If I’m going to adjust the shoes is it easy to poke a screwdriver through the wheel bolt hole? Seen avideo on YouTube, just doesn’t look straight forward. Going to have look this weekend if it stays dry (Manchester so unlikely)

If I’m going to adjust the shoes is it easy to poke a screwdriver through the wheel bolt hole?

It can be done by removing one of the wheel bolts, but particularly for the first time, it's easier if you remove the wheel. Visibility is much better which helps with aligning the hole over the star adjuster.

Reactions: 219
Minimum figure is 16% you add the 2 forces together (each back wheel) divide it by the total weight of the vehicle and then multiply by 100 and that gives you your parking brake percentage

Here's a couple of super guides from our much-missed member DRUK.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RIP, Derek. ❤

Thank you all for the very informative replies .... basically, sounds as if the parking brake is just about ok.
Om my auto Saab 93 parked on same drive, handbrake is firm with absolute no back-roll ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom