Parking brake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scot, Dec 14, 2008.

1. scot

scot New Member

Car:
    CLC 220 CDI Sport
    I collected my new CLC on Friday and with regard to the hand / park brake, I was told that it was not necessary to use it with an automatic as leaving it in park was more than adequate, ( somthing to do with the diff )except on steep hills. Any views on this please.
    Regards Scot.

2. Olivier

Olivier Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E300 TD
    Roger replyed to this a wee while ago:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Geezer [​IMG]
    Foot hand brake. What a waste of space!

You don't mean you rely on Park? You really shouldn't you know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl

3. Beetnik

Beetnik Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo V60 2.4 bi-turbo: SLK 200
    I've not heard of anyone having a transmission failure due to a broken parking pawl. Perhaps the mechanics on here could further enlighten us?

4. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    I was under the impression that when you put it in P , a little ( and i mean little ) clip engages .

Do you want to risk your car rolling off should this fail , or if someone should bump you and snap it ?

Putting the footbrake on is no hardship is it ?

5. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    The parking pawl is a sizable piece of metal and the gear teeth it engages with are chamfered so it will jump if the load is too great or a shock load is applied.

6. Uberwagon

Uberwagon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 500E
    I never use it on my driveway but always when parked in a public area due to the worry of the shock load you mention.

Also once when I was in Old Couldon I drove up Caterham hill and ended up having to stop due to roadworks. I put it in park and THEN applied the parking brake, it was bloody hard to get it out of park again as you now have a side load keeping the teeth, dogs, pin etc in place, so parking brake first, then into park on steep hills.

Dave!

7. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    Because of a knee injury, the same reason that I drive an automatic, I have never used the foot operated parking brake on either of my MLs, present or past, or on my C.

While I bow to the greater knowledge of many forumites (having never even heard of a parking pawl), I have had no problems in 6 years.....

8. 3 phase

3 phase Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A bloody Opel
    Just try using a foot parking brake with a manual gearbox clutch whilst doing a hill start up a 1 in 4 in a queue of traffic such as our local underground car park exit. Great fun, I now tap dance better than Brucie.

Tags: