Parking Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PFC

Car
E350 CDI Coupe
I have just bought a new C200 Avantgarde SE. After applying the parking brake on a slope, the car rolls forward or back a couple of inches. Also, I can push the car backwards and forwards whilst in neutral with the parking brake applied.

A friends older E Class doesn't do this.

I asked about this at the local dealer who said a few customers had mentioned this, that it was normal and told me to try the 'C' setting on the autobox!

Has anyone else had this problem?

With the foot operated parking brake on the car should hold firm!

Ask for a demonstration of a used W203 C-class from their forecourt to see if it's the same - when it isn't ask them to stop being disgusting lazy and adjust the brake properly!

I have to push pretty hard on the pedal to hold it firm on a hill. How hard are you pressing it?

PFC said:
I have just bought a new C200 Avantgarde SE. After applying the parking brake on a slope, the car rolls forward or back a couple of inches. Also, I can push the car backwards and forwards whilst in neutral with the parking brake applied.

A friends older E Class doesn't do this.

I asked about this at the local dealer who said a few customers had mentioned this, that it was normal and told me to try the 'C' setting on the autobox!

Has anyone else had this problem?

I sincerely hope this was not the local MB dealer.

What a load of tosh! (anything more strong gets edited)

Your parking brake requires to be adjusted - you really need to get it up in the air and then it is a 3 minute job.

I assume all else is well with the parking brake system and linings.

NormanB

This sounds like it should have been posted in the wheel/tyre section believe it or not, "Wheels, tyres, brakes and suspension". Moving...

It sounds like the parking brake isnt working at all and the only thing stopping your car from moving is the Gear Box. As previously stated get a second opinion.

My drive has a steep slope, so if mine behaved as yours does I couldn't park there without risking damage to the (automatic) gearbox. I park the 'E' by engaging the parking brake with the gearbox in neutral, then letting off the footbrake and finally selecting Park. I originally didn't post in this thread as I wasn't sure if the new C had the electrically operated parking brake, similar to that used in the S-Type Jag, my E is older.

Your dealer should fall over themselves wanting to keep your car within spec, particularly as you have just handed over a significant sum of money to them. I agree, they are being disgustingly lazy!

Ian.

slight roll

my w203 does the same,if i apply the parking brake,then put the gearbox into p,when i take my foot off the footbrake the car moves forward a few inches,ive thought the parking brake isnt engaging tight enough but ive been told its alright by mb..

This is worth clarifying.

So does mine, but I thought that PFC was saying that his parking brake was defective and the car was being held at rest by the gearbox.

So, if the car is left in Neutral, does the parking brake stop the movement of the car? IIRC the movement should not be more than about 10 degrees turn of the back wheels.

Ian.

mercmanuk said:
my w203 does the same,if i apply the parking brake,then put the gearbox into p,when i take my foot off the footbrake the car moves forward a few inches,ive thought the parking brake isnt engaging tight enough but ive been told its alright by mb..

That does sound like its holding on the gearbox rather than the brake. If the brake is holding it, it shouldn't roll back at all.

The parking brake does hold the car when in neutral but I can roll it forwards and backwards by a couple of inches either way before it stops. Sometimes it works OK.
I do press pretty hard on the pedal.

Does the brake work on the rear discs or on something else, as I can see the discs rotating through the callipers when rocking the car as above?

The dealer in question is my local Mercedes dealer but I didn't buy the car from them.

Peter.

Some of my previous mercs have rolled a little with the handbrake on. It wasnt an adjusmtent thing, the brakes are fully operational and strong, just a little play....
But def not normal on a newish car.

jay

Adjust

PFC said:
I Also, I can push the car backwards and forwards whilst in neutral with the parking brake applied.

I think thie above selective quote s is the killer fact.

With a correctly adjusted parking brake system and when, say parked on a slope, the car may settle as the shoes bite (say 5 degrees of movement of rear wheels) BUT if the car is in neutral and parking brake applied then you should not be able to push the car in either direction.

It is not unknown for these shoes to break (sp) up if they have been abused but they normally let you know by the noise this makes. In the first instance I stand by my earlier advice to get it up in the air and adjust.

NormanB

Just a question. Is the parking brake still acting on the hubs or is it acting on the propshaft as a transmission brake?

If it acts on the prop shaft then there will always be about the same play as an auto in P.

Dieselman said:
Just a question. Is the parking brake still acting on the hubs or is it acting on the propshaft as a transmission brake?

If it acts on the prop shaft then there will always be about the same play as an auto in P.

I think the 203's use exactly the same brakes as the 202's and 210's, I have certainly sold the same part number for the rear discs for a 203 that are the same as on my 202 (which are the same as some 210's!), in which case it will have the inboard handbrake shoes inside the rear discs.

One way to test it is to have the car rolling slowly on grass or gravel, shift to N and apply parking brake, the rear wheels should skid.

Hello, mine does the same thing (C200k Coupe) 10 months old. The car does move a small amount, backwards or forwards depending on the incline, then I put in P so its not resting on the transmission lock. It certainly doesnt move any further though as two of my friends tried to push it to see and it would not budge. I have noticed that you do get a bit of initial disc/pad bind (slight rust) though when the wheels have had a good wash so maybe the disc is the park brake or maybe there is an inboard brake and the rust bind is due to the proximity of the disc/pad. One way to see is to apply the brake and see if a thin feeelr gauge will fit between the disc and pads?

I can't be sure about your car, but I'm pretty sure that in general the cars with rear discs also have shoes operating on the internal drum surfaces within them.

Discs will go rusty pretty much the instant that a hose pipe lands on them and the proximity of the pads when the brakes are not applied is such that the water will be drawn in by capillary action and rust them up all the more. Quite normal to have a minimal amount of sticking, as in general the discs don't get very wet and that tiny layer of rust gets wiped away the first time you use the brakes.

Ian.

Thought so. I suppose we can all go down to our local "Kroozin" shop and declare to all and sundry, "me Mercedes rocks big styleee!", blingin'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom