Parking Charge Notice - Parked over 2 hours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep, after this I will NEVER use that service station again. I have been 'fined' for being a customer who actually stayed on site for more than one Coffee. :wallbash:

By the logic of that place, if I needed to sleep for a couple of hours instead of driving while tired I would be breaking their parking rules.

Could you not drop an official letter to their head office and see if they give you anything in return as compensation for inconvenience caused? :dk:

Whilst I detest these companies and think fining your own customers is a dumb as it gets, they're of course intended to keep the car park 'rotating their spaces'... i.e cars parked up free of charge for an unlimited time becomes an issue. Or, in my case, I parked in a non-parking area at my overly busy shopping centre and got a ticket - case in point - if a maximum stay was enforced, I'd be more likely to find a 'legal' space.

A lot of fast food outlets are doing this to stop people using them as places for holding meetings

A lot of fast food outlets are doing this to stop people using them as places for holding meetings

It is getting to the point of a total farce

Local retail park, complete with multiplex cinema and eateries, has started up this nonsense with a three hour limit.

Errrr.........

It is getting to the point of a total farce

Local retail park, complete with multiplex cinema and eateries, has started up this nonsense with a three hour limit.

Errrr.........

It's to stop people dumping cars there for the day and travelling off elsewhere.

How many cars would you let park on your drive all day while their owners were elsewhere?

DO NOT RESPOND IN ANY WAY!

It's to stop people dumping cars there for the day and travelling off elsewhere.

How many cars would you let park on your drive all day while their owners were elsewhere?

Once it is established that the customer wasn't elsewhere, as in this case, the action should cease with an apology being given, along with explanations of why such action is sometimes necessary and an offer of a free drink on their next visit. If McDs/Costa etc etc don't like contractors holding team meetings while eating their scabby excuses for breakfast, they should think about who it is that eats that crap.

However, what happens in place of reasonable action against mickey takers, is an onslaught of pseudo-legal harassment, which continues once the accused acknowledges contact in any way.

I got one of these from having a kip at Reading services about 6 months ago, thankfully I found a similar thread and ignored their correspondence. They sent an initial letter with photos of the car entering and leaving the services, and a second letter about 4 weeks later threatening court action. Not heard a peep from them since.

Unlike credit companies, if you ignore them, they go away.

Even more incentive to not buy overpriced burger kings and petrol from motorway service stations.

But surely meeting = eating and they make money? :dk:

So how much money will they make out of someone staying for 3 hours and would you be happy to earn the same per hour?

I got one of these on my Merc not so long ago. Have avoided it and not heard anything since (but mainly coz the car was on false plates at the time :D)

But i think some companies are evolving in the way they are doing this fraud. Once in Slough somewhere i parked the car in MacDonalds, went over the road for 5 minutes and came back to find it was clamped. Had no choice but to pay the fine, couldnt really ignore that one. But i dont think its going to be too long before they start clamping cars, so they get their money there and then as opposed to sending threatening letters and seeing who they can get.

Mind you, the MacDonalds fine of £80 has paid itself off many times over as i invested £40 in a set of bolt cutters that have freed me several times since. :bannana:

I got one of these on my Merc not so long ago. Have avoided it and not heard anything since (but mainly coz the car was on false plates at the time :D)

But i think some companies are evolving in the way they are doing this fraud. Once in Slough somewhere i parked the car in MacDonalds, went over the road for 5 minutes and came back to find it was clamped. Had no choice but to pay the fine, couldnt really ignore that one. But i dont think its going to be too long before they start clamping cars, so they get their money there and then as opposed to sending threatening letters and seeing who they can get.

Mind you, the MacDonalds fine of £80 has paid itself off many times over as i invested £40 in a set of bolt cutters that have freed me several times since. :bannana:

Is this guy for real? False plates and bolt cutters, then bragging about his crimes in an open forum for all the world to read. :wallbash::wallbash:

You're the reason these companies exist in the first place.

Is this guy for real? False plates and bolt cutters, then bragging about his crimes in an open forum for all the world to read. :wallbash::wallbash:

Oh come on now, stop being a bunch of pricks, that was back in my haydays. Now im almost grown up.

If these companies can shaft and your happy with it then stop complaining on here, do something about it. What i do might not be entirely legal, but is what their doing legal in the first place???

And Dieselman, stop wondering, your just too stupid, that thread has nothing to do with any of this but if your about to go on a long winded journey to find one then do it privately please.

Don't ever call me a pr*ck.

Last edited:

And your point to that is??????????????

Don't ever call me a *****.

Then dont act like one fella.

What i do/have done in the past has nothing to do with you, how and where i choose to publish such information has nothing to do with you either so dont dare come on here acting all wound up by what i let the world read about me.

Exactly what do you think the consequences of this are going to be? That i cut off a clamp that was illegally placed on my car?

And before you start on one about how my car might have been parked illegally blah blah blah, how comes the company who clamped it didnt do anything about it after i had cut it off, coz they knew aswell as me that it shouldnt have been on there in the first place. Its like what this whole thread is about, trying to enforce fines that are not legal in the first place.

This happened to me once, my bm had one of the coolant hoses split on the motorway while I was trying to keep up with an RS4, and I pulled in to a welcome break somewhere Warwick. Left the car there, got a taxi to the local dealer, bought a new hose, went back to my car and fitted it on... the whole thing took about 5 hours for various reasons but when I got a letter from them, I wrote back explaining what had happened and provided them with receipts to prove what I said.

Your situation is slightly different... I'd just pay them... not worth the hassle or worry. Its not a great deal of money in the grand scheme of things.

This happened to me once, my bm had one of the coolant hoses split on the motorway while I was trying to keep up with an RS4 . . . .

er . . . you might wana be careful where you post that. :D

But wise words there chap non-the-less. Sometimes its just not worth the hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom