Parking Charge Notice - Parked over 2 hours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What i do/have done in the past has nothing to do with you, how and where i choose to publish such information has nothing to do with you either so dont dare come on here acting all wound up by what i let the world read about me.

You don't seem to have grasped the concept of the internet forum. If you post a comment, people with tend to respond with their opinion on that comment, if they can be bothered.

Its like what this whole thread is about, trying to enforce fines that are not legal in the first place.

They're not fines, they're charges. And they're not illegal, just unenforceable in law. :rolleyes:

You don't seem to have grasped the concept of the internet forum. If you post a comment, people with tend to respond with their opinion on that comment, if they can be bothered.

Opinion is one thing, going around criticising someone for their actions from the past when they have nothing to do with you is a different matter.

Me parking in a nearly empty Maccy D's car park for 5 minutes is not the reason these companies were started. Me fighting them back in my own way is not going to bring an end to these companies. Its always down to money, they want my money for a reason which i dont think they deserve it, so they're not going to get it. A difference of opinion you might say, and so far mine has proven to be right because they've not been able to get it.

If id gone into a nearly full Maccy D's car park and put my car in a disabled bay then i would agree they have a good point, but in this case they didnt.

They're not fines, they're charges. And they're not illegal, just unenforceable in law. :rolleyes:

Right, well thanks for that opinion, that makes it a whole lot clearer now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was accused of being harsh to W4SIM in the other thread...I don't feel I was now when I read the crap an erstwhile reasonable member has started to spout.

Last Sunday I went to a large bowling alley in an area totally unfamiliar to me. I arrived during a heavy downpour and was delighted to spot a parking space close to the entrance. The family and I jumped out and ran into the building. An hour later when we came out it was still raining and I spotted a small plastic bag with what looked like a yellow piece of paper inside sitting in the centgre of my windscreen as though it had been blown there. I assumed someone was having a joke so I took it off (it wasn't stuck there or behind a wiper) and put it on the car in the next space before jumping in and driving off.

It was only a few hours later that I wondered if it was a genuine parking notice so I looked on Google StreetView and saw that the car park was run by NCP! OOPS. I'm now expecting a nasty letter from them about not paying their "fine" for not paying the £2.00 (or whatever) for parking there. I'h hoping to get away with it by ignoring it - if it ever arrives!

Mind you, the MacDonalds fine of £80 has paid itself off many times over as i invested £40 in a set of bolt cutters that have freed me several times since. :bannana:

That's criminal damage.

Oh come on now, stop being a bunch of pricks, that was back in my haydays. Now im almost grown up.

Obviously not.

how and where i choose to publish such information has nothing to do with you either so dont dare come on here acting all wound up by what i let the world read about me.

But it has to me, especially when you openly brag about flouting the law and risk bringing this forum into disrepute.

That's criminal damage.

Is illegal clamping not criminal?

if he left the car in MacDonalds for five minutes and came back to a clamped car, why shouldn't he remove the the offending item, as it is going to damage the car as soon as the car is moved.

Not sticking up for the fella or his other antics, but I fully commend the removal of the device, criminal damage or not, given the situation of the car only being left five minutes.

Stevie it will have been 5 hrs trust me.

Not doubting that for a second Steve, but he did state 'several times'.

IIRC, he did say he paid the 5 min one

ETA
Maybe he was spotted parking his car in Mcd and going across the road. Don't their signs state parking for customers only? In hindsight, he should have gone and bought a burger and said he went to the bank to get cash for said burger, then complained about the clamp.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not so sure. Madam was up early last Sunday and suggested we go for breakfast somewhere rather than lie in, up to me where....

I can't see that happening ever again ;)

We should have a discussion about this...

Clearly parking companies are out of control, and clearly the new rules will not make things any better.

But there's a real question here - how do you prevent members of the public from parking on private land with public access in a way that is not compatible with the land owner's wishes? Surely parking on private land can't just be free for all.

What system should be in place to ensure that shopping centres and motorway services do not become a free car park for people who simply seek a place to leave their vehicles for say a week or two?

What system should be in place to ensure that shopping centres and motorway services do not become a free car park for people who simply seek a place to leave their vehicles for say a week or two?

Petrol and a match.

That'll teach them.

Just back from Ireland. The local supermarket validates your parking ticket (issued on entrance to carpark) at the till when you pay for what you have bought. Free exit, up to 2 hours parking. If not validated, then €2 to lift barrier. After 2 hours then not sure. Nobody takes the mick. Works for them and the customers.

Then dont act like one fella.

What i do/have done in the past has nothing to do with you, how and where i choose to publish such information has nothing to do with you either so dont dare come on here acting all wound up by what i let the world read about me.

Exactly what do you think the consequences of this are going to be? That i cut off a clamp that was illegally placed on my car?

Aah well thats alright then, if ever I see your car, should I take a sledge hammer to it as I dont like the colour? Is that illegal?

And before you start on one about how my car might have been parked illegally blah blah blah, how comes the company who clamped it didnt do anything about it after i had cut it off, coz they knew aswell as me that it shouldnt have been on there in the first place. Its like what this whole thread is about, trying to enforce fines that are not legal in the first place.

If you dont think it's legal then take it to court, we do live in a democracy and therefore you could do things in a legal way

Opinion is one thing, going around criticising someone for their actions from the past when they have nothing to do with you is a different matter.

You post on an open forum where we as a community are allowed openly to post an opinion and then start attacking other members for their views? How's about you stop being so childish, actually do the adult thing and grow up and then attempt to discuss opinions without the tantrums and handbags at dawn routine?

W4SIM has been banned m8

Just back from Ireland. The local supermarket validates your parking ticket (issued on entrance to carpark) at the till when you pay for what you have bought. Free exit, up to 2 hours parking. If not validated, then €2 to lift barrier. After 2 hours then not sure. Nobody takes the mick. Works for them and the customers.

There are a few of these in London... but it is not always a workable solution to this problem. The difficulty is that the retailer has to invest in a barrier and ticketing system which is not actually expected to generate any revenue, and in addition it does cause bottlenecks during entry and exit.

I hate MacDonalds anyway, such bad food cannot be excused, no matter what the occasion or need.:thumb:

Surely this is the true crime here, McDonalds being allowed to get away with such blatant misadvertisement :D

There are a few of these in London... but it is not always a workable solution to this problem. The difficulty is that the retailer has to invest in a barrier and ticketing system which is not actually expected to generate any revenue, and in addition it does cause bottlenecks during entry and exit.
Fair point. It is only a relatively small independent supermarket. I think what they were hoping to achieve is people using their previously free carpark to do other town business, as they did before, but then making a purchase in their shop to avail of free parking. Bit like a loss-leader, to increase footfall. But then again, many things do work rather differently over there.

But there's a real question here - how do you prevent members of the public from parking on private land with public access in a way that is not compatible with the land owner's wishes? Surely parking on private land can't just be free for all.

The answer is simple. There should be clear and enforceable rules with regard to size and visibility of all signs relating to parking restrictions. Then people can't complain that they weren't aware of the rules.

We should also have a legal limit to the penalties that can be charged (£60 seems reasonable) and very clear and enforceable rules regarding the circumstances in which vehicles can be clamped or removed. Then the thugs and cowboys will no longer be able to use the system as a means of extortion and racketeering.

These rules should have been in place when the law changed to allow private parking enforcement and would produce a system that is fair for all.

They had a similar system at Tesco in Doncaster 20 years ago although it was a guy in a little hut at the exit barrier that checked your receipt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom