Parking Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd be careful with the blocking people in if I were you.
A/ It could be illegal (parking in a M&C bay isn't)

B/ You could end up with some 1/2wit reversing into your cars side to try get out.

C/ Unless you know who you are blocking in they could be a big, black belt owner who wants to tear you limb from limb when you come out!

They can give it a go on a rather battered C180. I suspect my car is already in worse nick than theirs.

To be fair though, the only time we did block someone in was because they'd parked in a blue bay (my mrs is disabled). I told staff on the way in what I'd done and why and said they could page me to come out and shift it once they'd had a go at the person.

When I did go out they huffed and puffed but said sweet FA as it totally served them right.

m.

A210AMG Just a clarification please. Why do you need to get a child seat in/out at a supermarket? Don't you just take the child out of the seat? :confused:Genuine questions, I'm not being sarcastic.:dk:

Children up to 9 months tend to be transported in infant carriers , in which the child lies flat , and which is lifted out of the car .

Older children use a child seat which they may need to be strapped into - I need my door fully open to reach in and do this - including pulling the harness properly tight , even though the seat stays in the car when my son comes out .

Children up to 9 months tend to be transported in infant carriers , in which the child lies flat , and which is lifted out of the car .

Older children use a child seat which they may need to be strapped into - I need my door fully open to reach in and do this - including pulling the harness properly tight , even though the seat stays in the car when my son comes out .

Thanks for that Pontoneer. It's just that back in the day of my children being small I never had any problems getting them out of a car and I'm not exactly small either.

As I've said before I never felt that having children "entitled" me to any special treatment nor did it ever make me disabled to such a degree that I needed extra wide spaces within yards of the door of a supermarket.:dk:

But then I never saw Tesco's or Asda as a suitable play area to take my children, I used to take them to the park to play on the swings, and left the kids at home with the wife or vice versa. This has benefits such as:-

A/ You don't have to have extra wide spaces next to the door.:cool:

B/ You don't have the "can I have" going on all the way around the supermarket.:(

C/ No temper tantrums when you say No to B.:bannana:

D/ No p*ssing off other customers because you and your family are taking 4 times as much space in the supermarket blocking the aisles whilst arguing over whether they can or can't have something.:rolleyes:

E/ It costs you much less.:thumb:

F/ You aren't stressed when you get to the checkout / in your car for the drive home.:D

All the above said tongue in cheek and yes I realise there are times when you may HAVE to take junior with you but by the same token someone else has already said earlier they take junior with them to enable them to get the M & C parking space. Surely if they have the facility (wife) to leave junior at home they would be better doing so instead of taking one of these valuable M&C spaces as selfishly as the OP with no child.:D

Sitting outside Sainsburys in the only normal space nr parent & child & disabled So far plenty of people using the Parent & Child without the child. 2 mercedes drivers included

They'd rather lose the £1 deposit than walk a few feet ???

Snoop51,

We have a 4 year old and a 5 month old. The 4 year old is in her own child seat however for the 5 month old we use these in both cars

babyseat.jpg

The base stays in the car and we click the top seat out and attach to trolleys (if they have them available...and normal shoppers havn't taken them:) ). That's why its Handy to use the larger (wider) bays.

Parking in a normal bay and then the next car parking close can make it very awkward and risk of damaging either car. I don't see it as a RIGHT to use the bays but its handy, if one is available I use it...if not I find a normal bay. No harm.

If you agree with them or not isn't the issue. I don't agree with double yellow lines should I park on them if I feel like it is easier for me? And for all the people talking about how they survived shopping with kids back in the good old day. Try living without your mobile or all your other mod cons that where not around in the good old days. The fact is they are there to make life easier for parents with young toddlers or infants and you are asked not to park in them by the shops that put them in there car parks.

If you agree with them or not isn't the issue. I don't agree with double yellow lines should I park on them if I feel like it is easier for me? And for all the people talking about how they survived shopping with kids back in the good old day. Try living without your mobile or all your other mod cons that where not around in the good old days. The fact is they are there to make life easier for parents with young toddlers or infants and you are asked not to park in them by the shops that put them in there car parks.

Excellent first post!

Welcome to the forum...:thumb:

I'd be careful with the blocking people in if I were you.
C/ Unless you know who you are blocking in they could be a big, black belt owner who wants to tear you limb from limb when you come out!

Imagine the outcome had a Derek Bird-type parked in one of those bays and he was 'blocked in'... unlikely but a very different result I think.

And for all the people talking about how they survived shopping with kids back in the good old day. Try living without your mobile or all your other mod cons that where not around in the good old days. The fact is they are there to make life easier for parents with young toddlers or infants and you are asked not to park in them by the shops that put them in there car parks.
<victor meldrew>And why should parents expect life to be easy? If you want an easy life don't have kids in the first place.</victor meldrew>

More seriously; I think we have to remember they are not there out of the goodness of the store's heart, but to try to attact more parents with children into the store becuase the stores understand the pester power of children and their impact on our shopping habits. I'd put money on the fact that if stores reckoned they'd get more custom by having 15 normal parking spaces rather than 10 parent and child spaces, the parent and child parking spaces would disappear overnight.

P.S. Welcome - you'll see we like a good debate here.

Life is just too short to get worked up about who parks where and whether there are P&C spots or not.

When my little darlings (?) were tiny and had to be carried around, P&C spots were a 'nice touch' , if there, fine if not..well.. nothing. Wasn't that bothered one way or the other.

BTW, I'm sure stevesey is right...Im sure that if P&C spots were in any way shown to reduce the top line...they would be gone like a shot!

Aren't a certain number of P&C spaces legislated for now under planning regulations , in the same way that employers are now required to provide so many cycle parking spaces per numbers of employees or customers ?

I just love popping down to the local supermarket and parking in the parent and child spots - with my 32 year old :D

... and struggling with a full trolley through the biggest gap between two cars i.e. past the dingbat who straddles two parking spaces. And hey, if the trolley happens to clip said car in question - what the hell. :D :D

much ado about nothing... in my view. :)

I am not happy that car parks are arranged so that people cannot avoid getting out of their cars without playing the musical doors game. Normal parking spaces are frequently too narrow for a vehicle to park centrally between the marked lines and open its doors a quarter of the way if cars are parked either side. I think this may be exacerbated by Chelsea tractors being parked in normal sized car parking spaces.

Like many here (I suspect) I will deliberately look for the empty spaces which are some distance from the store, rather than risk the damage which results from other car doors being opened carelessly or shopping trolleys being scraped along the side of one's car. I will walk some distance to achieve that objective.

Not shopping at supermarkets (supporting local retailers) is one additional protective measure. Shopping at times when others are not (most large supermarkets have late opening or all night opening) or using internet based shopping as a means to avoid the crowds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom