Parking - fair cop or travesty of justice

Fair cop or travesty of justice - or somewhere in between?

• Fair cop - sort Mrs D out, she's clearly a loose cannon who must be tied down

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Hmmm - it's harsh, but the white lines are there for a reason, so pay up

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Hmmm - it's harsh, and given the circumstances it's worth challenging

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • Travesty of justice - these are the actions of an enforcement officer who's out to persecute parents

Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's the lack of common sense that gets me. A neighbour is disabled, and has a blue badge.

She recently went into town to collect some things. Outside the shop there are two loading bays and double yellow lines. She parked in the loading bay, as she as going to collect a sewing machine that had been repaired. Came back in less than 10 minutes, and had a ticket.

For parking in a loading bay with a blue badge - she should have parked on the double yellows. That she was loading is apparently immaterial.

I came back the long way round tonight to take a look. The sign displaying the charging tarrif states something along the lines of "must be parked wholly in the bay" and failure to meet that and another dozen conditions, may, result in a ticket.

May result in a ticket...probably worth asking what the criteria for discretion are. They probably mean 'will result in a ticket if you get caught', but that isn't what they say :)

May result in a ticket...probably worth asking what the criteria for discretion are. They probably mean 'will result in a ticket if you get caught', but that isn't what they say :)

You're spot on: "may" = "will"

It did result in a ticket - Mrs D got one a few days ago, which is what prompted the thread.

I think that 'may' is there to prevent dispute if you see someone else do exactly the same thing as you and not get fined.... :)

It's the lack of common sense that gets me. A neighbour is disabled, and has a blue badge.

She recently went into town to collect some things. Outside the shop there are two loading bays and double yellow lines. She parked in the loading bay, as she as going to collect a sewing machine that had been repaired. Came back in less than 10 minutes, and had a ticket.

For parking in a loading bay with a blue badge - she should have parked on the double yellows. That she was loading is apparently immaterial.

Westminster Council put up recently more CCTV cameras in our area... I was told by other residents that the Council started dishing-out tickets in the post for stopping on single and double yellow lines. Those who challenged the fines, had them cancelled (obviously, you are allowed to stop on yellow lines within the applicable rules - in fact that's why the council put them there in the first place, to allow for loading/unloading, and getting passengers on and off the car - it's the white zigzag where you are not allowed to stop). The whole process seems like a total waste of time for both sides - very odd.

If they knock your initial 'apeal' back do not hessitate to be a right pain in the **** over the issue! If you don't take no for an answer then they normally get bored and realise they are wasting too much time.
If you appeal within the 14 days then the 'discount' period is extended until dealt with too :)

Playing devils advocate, tie her down anyway - have some fun :D

Playing devils advocate, tie her down anyway - have some fun :D

I took your advice and I can confirm it really has been fun. :devil:

Oh no, not like that.

I tied her to a kitchen chair, carried her out to the shed, and closed the door behind me. It's been great. I've been watching a recording of today's F1 for the last half an hour. :D

private car park=totally ignore any and ALL letters, summons, threats etc.

Council carpark= just pay up quickly.

Well I can conclude that the vote that really mattered was the one from the relevant council, and their vote has now been cast.

Mrs D received a letter from them yesterday, stating that after careful consideration of her challenge, they've decided that no further action need be taken on this occasion. They go on to say that any future PCN issued may not be waived.

So I think we can conclude that the combined verdict of MB Club jury and Council is "Hmmm - it's harsh, and given the circumstances it's worth challenging".

So I think we can conclude that the combined verdict of MB Club jury and Council is "Hmmm - it's harsh, and given the circumstances it's worth challenging".

Good result and a case of a reasonable case being made on a first offence. But it will be recorded and she won't get a similar result if she does the same again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom