Parking fines for a car I sold!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesfuller

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C240 Elegance & S210 E320 CDi Avantgarde
Time for a rant!

I sold a vehicle a few months (Feb)
It took over a month to get the letter from DVLA saying I am no longer the registered keeper!

I got a parking charge notice through the post with photos (private land), 2 days after I sold it.

Next day got another one. So that's £200.

I spent hours trying to get through on the phone, on the third day I got through and after telling them the situation was told to wait for a call back!

No call back, I have received two letters today from a debt collection agency. Now they are after £300!

I explained the situation to the dc agency. They say I have to contact the dvla to get a confirmation of the date of sale and send them a copy.

I asked why they cannot contact dvla to confirm this? Its not there job, and until I prove otherwise, I am liable!

I have now phoned the original car parking company and the response was "its been passed on there is nothing I can do".
Yes I did express my opinion of the company and their services!

Anyway, just contacted the dvla, they confirm the dates with me and are happy to send a letter as required, only problem is it could take 4 weeks to arrive with me!

Just a rant, if you would like to join in with a related rant, feel free.
If you have dealt with these type of things before, any advice would be appreciated :thumb:

I'm no lawyer but the DC agency cannot chase a debt that doesnt belong to you.

That said, it probably isn't worth fighting over as these debt collection agencies can be a right pain and the least effort of all would be to do as they ask.

I would just get the confirmation from the DVLA and include it with a covering letter and post it registered post to the collection agency. I would also email the same.

Hopefully that will be the end of it.

Should of recorded the phone conversation with DVLA,and played it back
to the debt collectors when they call again.Don't worry explain the 4 week eta
of the letter,not a lot they can do,all will be ok.

Write to the dca (who in the absence of a court judgement can't do anything but send threatening letters), and tell them that any debt is denied and to refer the matter back to the parking company. Also tell them that any further contact from them will be considered harassment and will be referred to the relevant authorities.

Write also to the parking company explaining that as you weren't either the driver or the RK at the time of the alleged parking events, you have no liability. Tell them that DVLA are providing confirmation to that effect and that you will forward that information once you have it.

Write to the dca (who in the absence of a court judgement can't do anything but send threatening letters), and tell them that any debt is denied and to refer the matter back to the parking company. Also tell them that any further contact from them will be considered harassment and will be referred to the relevant authorities.

Write also to the parking company explaining that as you weren't either the driver or the RK at the time of the alleged parking events, you have no liability. Tell them that DVLA are providing confirmation to that effect and that you will forward that information once you have it.

and that is very sound advice....

Thanks guys, I have phoned back the DCA and got someone a little more helpful, I told her the situation with the letter and she has put the account on hold for a month.

Thanks st13phil, if I have any more issues I will do as you said.

Its a bit funny they can contact dvla for my details, yet when it comes to these situations they cannot then check back again and I have to do it!

T
Its a bit funny they can contact dvla for my details, yet when it comes to these situations they cannot then check back again and I have to do it!

You're thinking of them as rational and decent organisations.

Wrong.

Think of them as low life extortionists. They just want to try and get you to cough and don't want to hassle themselves. If you are reasonable and decent to them they just think they have more leverage over you.

Thanks guys, I have phoned back the DCA and got someone a little more helpful, I told her the situation with the letter and she has put the account on hold for a month.

Thanks st13phil, if I have any more issues I will do as you said.

You're thinking of them as rational and decent organisations.

Wrong.

Think of them as low life extortionists. They just want to try and get you to cough and don't want to hassle themselves. If you are reasonable and decent to them they just think they have more leverage over you.
^ For these reasons, I really would spend the money on a couple of stamps and the 10 minutes it takes to write the letters.

"Put the account on hold for a month". What a joke. They do not have an account to put on hold!!!

If you write now (get free proof of posting for both letters from the Post Office too - these people have a habit of claiming that you didn't inform them), there is a paper trail that shows a) you have been perfectly reasonable, and b) they have been totally unreasonable should they pursue matters further.

BTW, I'll have a virtual bet with you that you'll get more threatening toilet paper from them before you hear from DVLA ;)

"Put the account on hold for a month". What a joke. They do not have an account to put on hold!!!

Being pedantic - in business terms it is an account. What's issue to the victim is technically an invoice. Typically when businesses issue invoices they do so against a customer or debtor account with associated payment terms assigned so that as the unpaid invoices age they get flagged for attention and further action.

Being pedantic - in business terms it is an account.
Yes, I understand that. My point (not explicitly made) was that the PPC have issued a speculative invoice where no liability exists. As such, there really is no "account" to put on hold.

BTW, for the benefit of the OP:

Many "Debt Collectors" that work for/with PPC's actually work from the same address as the PPC they claim to work for, and - how could that be? - share staff with the PPC. Speaks volumes about their business model...

Also, as well as the reasons Dryce has mentioned, although the PPC could make a further enquiry of the DVLA that would confirm you were not the RK at the time of the parking events, that would cost them £2.50 - so they won't do it. As I was typing that sentence I was spinning over in my mind what possible justification there could be for you having to go to the trouble of proving that an allegation they've made is false when you've made them aware of that fact and they have the wherewithal to check the accuracy of your statement for themselves :devil:

Yep, I'm gonna fire off a couple of letters. It is of course possible that my attitude on the phone would have upset someone in the office! So best play it safe.

Not quite the same but when I sold my last car, I got a CC fine.

I contacted the DVLA and got them to fax or email (can't remember which) a copy of the V5 which showed the date I sold the car (day before fine was incurred).

I sent it on to CC London and they pursued the new owner.

I can't remember, but does the little piece of paper that the DVLA send you confirming a change of registered keeper not have a transfer date?

M.

I can't remember, but does the little piece of paper that the DVLA send you confirming a change of registered keeper not have a transfer date?

M.

I've still got mine from the sale of my last car 3 years ago and it doesn't - which is why I had to contact the DVLA.

It features the date of the notification they are sending you.

Last edited:
All the above is spot on advice, but I notice it's a private parking charge ergo unenforceable so bin it or smear some doo-doo on it and send it back :D

1. I hope you get the letter from the DVLA soon.

2. Even if you don't, debt collectors can only act on an undisputed debt. If you say you dispute the charge - for whatever reason - it has to go to court before they can take any further action other than sending letters.

3. As far as I am aware debt collection agencies do not actually pursue dmall debts beyond sending letters because it is uneconomical to do so.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for all the advise, very handy to be able to arm yourself with a bit of knowledge!

Unfamiliar with U.K. codes concerning DC,BUT...

Here (U.S.),in the former colonies,Collection Agencies (DC) who foolishly "Ding"
a citizens Credit Rating (Unsupported by Legal authority) are Liable under Federal Law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom