Parking footbrake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Hi All,

My parking brake always struggles to release on a very cold day to the point I have to pull the lever and put my foot under the pedal to ease it up. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks

Make sure the system is correctly adjusted and the relevant parts are properly lubricated, especially the splitter by the rear axle.
If that doesn't help then don't apply it in cold weather. The transmission parking pawl will hold it.
It may even advice non-application on cold/freezing days in the handbook.

Dear God if only there was a way to get rid of the damn thing, it's a HUGE design fault !

Hi All,

My parking brake always struggles to release on a very cold day to the point I have to pull the lever and put my foot under the pedal to ease it up. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks
As suggested it can be adjusted. The adjustment location may be slightly different depending upon model.

I’ve only ever had this once and it was sorted by adjusting the cable beneath the rear bench seat.

i didn’t my donit so I can’t tel you how - I think @BlackC55 at PCS did mine - but I’m sure someone who has done it will advise.

Which model and year is it?

Dear God if only there was a way to get rid of the damn thing, it's a HUGE design fault !
Only for those that do not know how to use it or who want to perform handbrake turns 😂

Only for those that do not know how to use it or who want to perform handbrake turns 😂

I know perfectly well how to use it, lift a leg into the air, find the pedal, press it down hard, to release, use the fingers of your right hand to pull a handle. it's a ridiculous process, I've had left handbrakes, right handbrakes, umbrella handbrakes, electric parking brakes, but nothing as needlessly complex. If I wasn't so attached to my Merc, That alone would be enough to get rid ! :fail:

I know perfectly well how to use it, lift a leg into the air, find the pedal, press it down hard, to release, use the fingers of your right hand to pull a handle. it's a ridiculous process, I've had left handbrakes, right handbrakes, umbrella handbrakes, electric parking brakes, but nothing as needlessly complex. If I wasn't so attached to my Merc, That alone would be enough to get rid ! :fail:
What’s complicated about it?

Precisely as above.

Press with left foot, when ready to drive off release with right hand. Very easy.

You are making a drama out of something that is in fact simple, works and doesn't clutter the centre console with a lever.

So, hardly "ridiculous" in the true meaning of the word is it?

Precisely as above.

Press with left foot, when ready to drive off release with right hand. Very easy.

You are making a drama out of something that is in fact simple, works and doesn't clutter the centre console with a lever.

So, hardly "ridiculous" in the true meaning of the word is it?
You try it with a crook left knee, or having to give a neighbor lessons so he can move the car, you'll never convince me, it IS ridiculous !

You try it with a crook left knee, or having to give a neighbor lessons so he can move the car, you'll never convince me, it IS ridiculous !
You try a conventional handbrake with a crook left elbow, or having to give a neighbour (who has only driven cars without one) lessons so he can move the car.

I wouldn't waste time convincing someone with a closed mind.

Your "justification" about giving lessons would apply equally to any car in terms of learnt coordination.

You can use your right foot to put it down.

Its a great system, works very well when maintained properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom