Parking in Newbury Racecourse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I need to be at the Newbury Racecourse tomorrow around 10:30/11:00 ish, and as I live near Heathrow, I thought I would drive there... especially as taking a train would mean a 1:30hr journey with a change in Reading...

That said, I've been told that parking there is a nightmare, even though we have passes for the parking lot...

What's your advice? Go with a parking pass and hope not to get stuck or drive to a nearby station then take the train? Or maybe even take the train all the way from Hayes/Heathrow?

TIA!
M.

Oh, while on topic... I've never been to a horse-race before... is there anything I should know? Do or not do? TIA again1

Last edited:
I go to Newbury once a year around May 15th. We always park in the car park and frequent the Tattershall(sp) Stand. Getting in is not a problem normally, leaving however, is sometimes a bit of a queue. Enjoy your day and don't loose too much:D:D

Found this guide:
http://www.eachdayeachway.co.uk/pdf/guide.pdf

quite handy... I'll memorize it on the tube tonight...

This will be interesting... hopefully the people I go with will help out!

M.

A pin may work just as well:D Best bet, I think its called and Invicta. You name three horses and as long as two of them come first and second you win. It costs about £6 from memory, but if the odds are low you may not get the stake money back, however if you are lucky and one is an outsider you can win a few hundred quid

Last edited:
If it helps, you can park your car at my place and then train the last section. I'm about a 5 min walk from Thatcham station, Newbury Racecourse is the next stop.

Thank you very much for the offer - what I'm going to try to do is get there around 10:30 and park in the "special" parking lot (don't ask, I don't even know myself! I just know I need a pass for it, even though on their site it says all parking lots are free). That leaves me plenty of time to get in...

Getting out I'm not too worried about, I have a feeling I'll be there later than most people so I should be able to avoid the worst of the traffic... <famous last words :p>

Thanks!
M.

Traffic in Newbury can be a nightmare (back up to pre bypass levels). So if your going to drive i'd allow myself about 1 1/2 hours from Heathrow (but I hate being late). If your getting the train there is a station for the race course but not all that many trains stop there (if you go to the main Newbury station it's about a 15 min walk back to the racecourse).

Have managed to live here for 4 years and still never been to a race.

Nick

Traffic in Newbury can be a nightmare (back up to pre bypass levels). So if your going to drive i'd allow myself about 1 1/2 hours from Heathrow (but I hate being late). If your getting the train there is a station for the race course but not all that many trains stop there (if you go to the main Newbury station it's about a 15 min walk back to the racecourse).

Have managed to live here for 4 years and still never been to a race.

Nick

I've lived opposite Kempton Park race course for 15 years and heven't even bothered to look out of the window when there's horse racing on.

The antique markets are good though, as are the autojumbles ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom