Parking in Oxford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smiley

MB Enthusiast
Went to Oxford today; wont be going back for a very long time if I can help it. Sunday afternoon - car park in the centre of Oxford - how much do you think? It was £7.50 for up to 4 hours - and £11.50 for up to 6 hours. This is a regular pay and display council operated car park no attendant no security. And it is more expensive than that on a Saturday so we got off lightly.
It is more expensive than business parking at Heathrow.
Seems to me like they dont want people to go and spend money in Oxford; if thats the objective then they have succeeded with me.

yep. i live here oxford is and has always been very anti car. You do get free parking on meters or pay and display on the road but only for 2 hours :devil:

hash

I must have missed the park and ride signs in that case - we came in from the A40 to the north - is the a park and ride along that route - and is it really free of charge - if that is the case then I can understand it fully. Need to do some more research! Maybe we will be back.

I must have missed the park and ride signs in that case - we came in from the A40 to the north - is the a park and ride along that route - and is it really free of charge - if that is the case then I can understand it fully. Need to do some more research! Maybe we will be back.

the parking is free and the bus fares are pretty cheap - less than a fiver (return) for a family of 4

more info here

I used to have a partner in Oxford. It's hilarious... like a maze almost. You're speeding towards the City Centre, then suddenly at the last minute you're diverted around this odd one way system... D'Oh!

I live approx 15 miles north of Oxford City Centre and avoid the place like the plague.

The Park & Ride (aka Park & Steal) facilities seem good until you realise the level of theft of and from motor vehicles that happens at them. Then factor in the sheer inconvenience of driving to the car park, paying to park (they're not all free), paying for the bus ride, lugging shopping on and off the bus and the whole episode becomes something to be avoided.

While I'm forced to pay local taxes to Oxfordshire County Council by dint of where I live, I choose to spend my disposable income elsewhere as a matter of principle :)

I have looked at the park and ride scheme now. Whilst the car park is free the bus fare is £4 for the family. Takes 12 minutes + 15 minute potential wait = possible 1 hour added to the journey for out and return.
So it is cr*p either way - either pay a fortune to park or take an extra hour out of your day off to park out of the way.

it still looks like the idea is to keep people away.

Chester is similar and the council thought a good way to combat falling car parking revenue would be to *increase* parking charges. Doh!

They wonder why so many people go to the Trafford Centre or even to Cheshire Oaks (both free parking).

Never mind, they just appointed a consultant from the US who is going to be paid £100K for a few days work per year and he's going to reverse the city centre's fortunes. :rolleyes:

I have looked at the park and ride scheme now. Whilst the car park is free the bus fare is £4 for the family. Takes 12 minutes + 15 minute potential wait = possible 1 hour added to the journey for out and return.
So it is cr*p either way - either pay a fortune to park or take an extra hour out of your day off to park out of the way.

it still looks like the idea is to keep people away.

I'm not saying the system is anywhere near perfect but the maths you've used above is somewhat flawed

The bus takes 12 minutes and runs every fifteen minutes, so the longest possible time you would take to make that journey into the town centre is 27 minutes - how long did it take you to drive in from the outskirts then find somewhere to park? My guess is probably about 20 minutes so the most you would 'lose' is about seven minutes of your day :)

As for the £4 ticket - well, you were complaining about the price of parking being a lot more than that - so you've saved a few quid and a bit of petrol as well.

I think more and more towns (particularly the old, historic ones which were just not designed for cars) will go this way and we'll either have to like it or lump it.

I've used the Oxford system a few times when meeting friends and have had no problems

I think more and more towns (particularly the old, historic ones which were just not designed for cars) will go this way and we'll either have to like it or lump it.

I've used the Oxford system a few times when meeting friends and have had no problems
You've actually hit the nail on the head twice. As an ancient city Oxford struggled to handle modern traffic levels so access has been rationed in a very blunt way. Tourists and those who aren't visiting the City either for work or to shop generally find the "solution" to be OK, but others don't. As a result, with the exception of tourism, commerce in Oxford City Centre is dying on its feet because people vote with theirs and take their income elsewhere.

I do genuinely support the local economy by buying from local retailers (preferably independents) whenever I can, but for something I can't get in my local town or to visit a particular store that isn't in town it's a no-brainer: Oxford loses out to Milton-Keynes every time. I can drive from home to Oxford City Centre and park at huge cost in about 20 minutes door to door, or if I use the Park & Ride, best case is about 35 minutes and worst is nearer an hour. Tolerable in fine, dry, weather when you don't have goods to lug about but not so pleasant when it's lashing with rain and you have loads of shopping to carry. Oh, and it still costs more than the alternative of taking 30 minutes to drive to MK, park, and be in the shopping centre.

As an ancient city Oxford struggled to handle modern traffic levels so access has been rationed in a very blunt way.

Although not in the same country, Tallinn is very similar. Parking in vanalinn (the old town) is 72 EEK / hour, or approximately £4.35 an hour. Given salaries over there are about a third what they are here, it's even worse for the locals! At least all parking in Tallinn is charged to the nearest 15 mins rather than to the nearest hour. There are also car parks where you can buy monthly permits and so on.

I study there, yet live in London so am forced to commute (as I mentioned before).

In 2 years, I haven't had a single issue with the park&ride system (Thornhill, A40 from the East/London). That said, being the london side, I can use the park&ride busses as well as the various private busses that go towards London/Heathrow. My biggest gripe is the traffic levels between the park&ride and the center, but then again I would be stuck in that traffic in my car (if not worst as busses have their own lanes).

Now, don't think I'm supporting their fees - imo, the park&ride busses should be cheaper (or free); and if it's sunny I do choose to use the motorbike, as the comlab is on the north-side (across the street from Keeble, which means its outside the pedestrian area) so I can sneak my motorbike next to the bicycles... haven't had any complaints so far!

Agatward: I did my first degree in central London, where student-discount parking was £4.50 an hour on campus!

I only have 2 real complaints:
- the park&ride busses pretty much stop after 19:00 and I have to rely on other busses
- The pay-by-phone system in Gloucester green parking lot is ridiculous! I spent 30 minutes trying to get the voice recognition system to get my licence plate correctly!

M.

I'm not saying the system is anywhere near perfect but the maths you've used above is somewhat flawed

The bus takes 12 minutes and runs every fifteen minutes, so the longest possible time you would take to make that journey into the town centre is 27 minutes - how long did it take you to drive in from the outskirts then find somewhere to park? My guess is probably about 20 minutes so the most you would 'lose' is about seven minutes of your day :)

As for the £4 ticket - well, you were complaining about the price of parking being a lot more than that - so you've saved a few quid and a bit of petrol as well.

You are probably right. Maybe they should have better signposts for the park and ride - it was not obvious yesterday. it did not take 20 mins yesterday as the traffic was light but agree on a saturday.
It just turns the day into a pain though and it is easier to stay at home or go somewhere else - maybe thats the idea.

What's a bus?
icon_scratch.gif

The last time I was in Oxford was well over twenty years ago, and even then it was anti-car. Never been back since.

The last time I was in Oxford was well over twenty years ago, and even then it was anti-car. Never been back since.
Ditto - 25 years ago whilst on honeymoon - parking prices were the highest I'd ever come across then. So like Dave I have never returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom