Parking Lights

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by merc180k, Feb 21, 2011.

1. merc180k

merc180k Active Member

Car:
    C180K Avantgarde SE Sport
    The street lights in our street have gone out leaving the whole street in complete darkness!

Having a black car is not a good idea when this is the case as I'm sure it'll get a smack from a motorist on the way past!

Thinking of putting the parking lights on tonight but wondering how long they can be on for before flattening the battery and causing starting issues? Any ideas??

Simon

2. kwakdonut

kwakdonut MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Frod Mundano TDCi, Kawasaki z650
    Better off phoning the electricity company or council, if they have an out-of-hours number and notifying them that the lights have gone out

3. Ted

Ted MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    Assuming a total of 48 watts (for all sidelights on) that would be 4 amps.
    Assuming a fully charged 96 amp hour battery, that would give you 24 hours before the battery is fully discharged.
    The above also assumes the battery holds 100% of it's capacity.
    So you should be able to leave them on overnight.

But I would be tempted to turn the switch to the park light position, even if it isn't strictly legal.

4. OP
    OP
    merc180k

merc180k Active Member

Car:
    If it would do any good I would. Unfortunately the junction box was killed by a car the other night and no longer exists!! Think it will be a while before it's sorted.

Parking lights it is!!

5. OP
    OP
    merc180k

merc180k Active Member

Car:
    Is it illegall to use the park lights?

6. Dec

Dec MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180,A.
    You will probably have a flat battery in the morning. There are reflectors on the rear lights which will be illuminated by the lights of approaching cars…. provided that your car is correctly parked with its rear end facing oncoming traffic.

Dec

1 person likes this.
  7. camerafodder

camerafodder MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Touareg V6 Altitude, Toyota IQ2
    We don't even have street lights where I live. I sometimes leave my car out on the road. Its black, in fact unless trapperjohn has been mauling it with a sponge :) it's usually quite dirty too at this time of year. Never had a problem. In fact the only time someone did run into it, it was in my drive! :eek:

8. Ted

Ted MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    Not an expert, but I believe that you have to illuminate all four 'sidelights' if you are parking where sidelights are required.

If sidelights are not required, you can use any illumination you want, as long as you are parked correctly, so the parking light (i.e. the offside front/rear lights) would be ok.

Tags: