Parking opposite a T junction

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by DrFeelgood, Jul 26, 2008.

1. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    I moved house recently and have noticed that there is some pretty silly parking going on. There are about 3 'T' junctions to negotiate to get to our new place and all of them have cars parked opposite (at the top of the T).
    It's the same people everyday and they are clearly parking outside their own homes, one even cheerfully waves at me almost daily. It's a residential area with no parking restrictions.

It is a menace as it means that when turning left I have to take a blind corner into oncoming traffic.

I've had a look at the highway code and pasted the relevant section below. Does this mean that it's illegal?

DO NOT stop or park

near a school entrance
    anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
    at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
    on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
    opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

Would you feel guilty to report these people to the police if it is illegal?

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    No.

3. robert.saunders

robert.saunders Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E300TD
  4. V8mate

V8mate Hardcore MB Enthusiast

It's one of those, isn't it?

5. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    x3.

Its quite dangerous this sort of parking as it obscures visiblity.

In Helensburgh parking right on junctions happens near victoria halls and I write into the MP to complain and nout happens :devil: and honestly it would be the one time the traffic warden's scrutiny would be more than welcome.

Maybe the boys in blue would be more effective.

6. robert.saunders

Car:
    W210 E300TD
    If no restrictions on the road (eg yellow lines/marked bays etc), only Police can enforce for obstruction offence(s)

7. OP
    OP
    DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    Thanks Robert, do you think that it is an offence to park in this way? I'm thinking that just because it's mentioned in the highway code it may not actually be illegal.

8. robert.saunders

Car:
    W210 E300TD
    Under obstruction, it is a nightmare to enforce it may be worth a chat with a community officer under neighbourhood policing which is the current "big thing" as far as police are concerned.

I don't believe this type of parking is a specific offence, but the enforcing officer would have to demonstrate/prove obstruction. Considering the HC states DO NOT do this type of parking, I would surmise it would be an easy FPN for a constable/support officer to administer

9. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    One of the problems with all modern housing estates is that they plan for 1 car per house whereas reality is 2-3 so parking is a nightmare.

Only you know if its worth the aggro falling out with your neighbours.

Thank Prescot for this planning ..................oppps Political (wrist slapped)

10. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    This is common in the village I live in, but it not turning out that is a problem (although I've often seen large vehicles struggling).

The scary thing if that if you're passing the car that's parked then you're on the wrong side of the road and cars give way at the side road only looking right so they just pull out straight in front of you.

11. TomTanderson

TomTanderson Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 W211 E280CDI
    Personally I think it is a bit spineless to rely on the police to do something about a minor problem that you won't discuss with you own neighbours first - a reflection of one of the things that is wrong with modern society. The fact that one even waves at you seems to indicate that they are taking a more proactive approach to social cohesion than you are ;)

OK, I'm being provocative and I don't mean that 100% but you get the point.

Yes there may be a safety issue but with car density as it is there is always going to have to be some compromise in residential areas. I have a similar problem where we live but it never occurred to me to report it - just negotiate the problem carefully with maybe the odd comment out loud about the selfishness of some drivers :D

12. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    There is a lot of sense in that post and its made me re-think my original post. However pointing out this shortcoming to someone else, "did you know its illegal and wrong" to do such and such will probably these days see you with a fist in your face. Again indicative of the problems I think we have with modern society.

The example I gave with my town and the parking on the junctions near the town hall, would see you met with abuse, as these people a) aren't neighbours and b) park there as they are too lazy to park somewhere safer and will do it again.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  13. OP
    OP
    DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    Thanks for your responses.
    I have thought carefully about speaking to the people involved but decided not to. They have lived here for years and have always parked in this way, I suspect - but don't know for certain - that they feel that they have every right to park outside their own homes.
    There is no shortage of space, this is an upmarket part of town and everyone has a large drive and garage. The curious thing is that just about the only on-street parking is these couple of offenders.
    I don't really want them fined but my view is that they are more likely to listen to a person in some kind of authority.

They are not really neighbours as such, the closest is 3 streets away.

Maybe I'll just wait and see what happens, I can't be the only person who feels annoyed by this. I might just get used to it.
    The sun is shining and I have a fridge full of cold cider, sod the neighbours. Where's that Curtis Mayfield CD?

14. Ade B

Ade B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
    Not true, all local authorities have specific guidance for parking spaces per dwelling which they zealously enforce. We had to allow 1.5 spaces of off street parking per 2 bed flat in a recent developmentin Hemel Hempstead to allow for visitor parking etc. The ratio varies with plot density, local laws and transport infrastructure.

Re parking obstruction, just drive appropriately. When I was recently t-boned off my bike, the offending driver blamed a parked van for blocking her line of sight. It was nothing to do with her pulling out into a stream of traffic without looking properly?:rolleyes: Fortunately her insurance company took a different view.

Ade

15. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    Perhaps I shouldn't have said all but some or a lot.... as perhaps you should have done too -- where I live the council (North Wilts) don't want to know about parking on our estate -- they just said if there is an obstruction then that is a matter for the police - we dont have any say in that...Our Properties say you can park in your own designated parking areas only - but people park everywhere else too as there are not enough spaces ....

Can I ask if you work in this area ? If so how does one go about getting the local authority involved?

16. V8mate

V8mate Hardcore MB Enthusiast

That's generous! Most developments (all flats, houses) I've been involved with recently have had parking allowances ranging between 0 (yep zero) and 0.5 per property

17. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    Crikey,
    I thought these folks lived quite close by. If they live three streets away then if this is such a hazard perhaps other folks that live nearer should complain.

We are all experienced drivers and so we are all aware of the laws regarding parking at or near junctions? I haven't driven for about 15 years so I bow to all you more knowledgeable folks but when I was driving if you parked within a certain distance of a road junction at night... Then the vehicle was required to display obligatory lighting? Has anyone mentioned that yet?

Having said that, this is over three streets away and I feel if this was a problem then should those that live nearer and are effected complain?

John

18. GordonTarling

GordonTarling Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 E63 AMG V8 Estate
    Don't you know anyone with a big articulated lorry? They need to swing very wide on some corners! :)

19. ckember

ckember Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC 350d AMG Premium plus
    appeal to the council and ask for bollards to be placed at the junctions on the path making it difficult to park. They have done this on a few junctions around Hemel Hempstead to ease this problem.

20. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Good luck, I've been writing politely to my MP and the council for 2 years and still haven't got them.