Parking Pilot blu tooth range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rowdy Whaleback

Car
E213
Hello everyone,
I am the new owner of an E class 220d estate W213. The cars great, however, I have a very first world issue!
Has anyone else got a problem with the range of Parking Pilot?
I have a Sony Xperia Z3 compact and have to stand withing a foot or so of the dash to connect (after several attempts). If it's parked in an awkward place this doesn't seem right. I can't connect from the end of the bonnet for example.
E-mailed Mercedes and they suggested trying another phone, used my wifes Xperia Z3 and no change (we like Xperias!) and getting my dealer to check out the blu-tooth aerial.
Cars with the dealer at the moment (getting the alloys unscuffed) and asked them to check.
I've googled blu-tooth and phones but there doesn't seem to be a "better" blu tooth phone as such.

I think by saying try another phone the dealer probably meant a different manufacturer, not Sony?

Using an iPhone 6 plus and can be about 1-2 metres away without any problems

Thanks for the answer N, as an Xperia family it is difficult to try other phones, hence the query. I've always tried to avoid the entire Appleification of my technology. Interesting to hear from any other Android users.
If the service check tells me there are no problems it might be time for a new phone upgrade!

Would there be a reason why the iPhone might work better? I understand aerial placement in the handset and so forth but could there be a software compatibility issue?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer N, as an Xperia family it is difficult to try other phones, hence the query. I've always tried to avoid the entire Appleification of my technology. Interesting to hear from any other Android users.
If the service check tells me there are no problems it might be time for a new phone upgrade!

Would there be a reason why the iPhone might work better? I understand aerial placement in the handset and so forth but could there be a software compatibility issue?

What do you actually see at the phone app? The app should tell if something fails or is it really the basic connectivity between the phone and the car?

The feature is designed to work at max 3 metre distance, not sure where it is measured from.

Sony-Ericsson/Sony phones are perhaps not the best with bluetooth but it should easily work from 10+ metres from the car if the car/app would allow it, unless there is a HW issue. Just guessing though, have no experience from Experia phones with remote parking pilot.

I think I have established the problem. When the car is also connected to my phone via the phone/media blu tooth connection the Parking app doesn't work. As soon as I "forget" the phone/media connection at the phone and deauthorise the phone at the car the Parking pilot app works a treat.
I'm not so technologically minded to understand the reason but I imagine the blu tooth identites need to differentiate the two and work independently.

I'm having fun trying to find phone that work with it. Neither my Huawei P9 or my works phone (LG stylus 2) will pair with the park system. Tried an old Samsung A5 and that does.

MB support will only help with samsung...

Hello to anyone interested. I believe I have found the solution.
Mercedes say "When the app was released the publishers said that it runs 100% sure on Samsung S6 + higher on Android and iPhone 6 or higher + SE on iOS. Apparently the app can run on other devices as well (like Sony) but there are many connection issues because somehow other devices are not supported.
I looked at the differences between my older Xperia Z3 and newer Android phones.
The newer stuff runs Bluetooth4.2 and Android Marshmallow. My older phone had Bluetooth 4.0 and didn't get newer updates than lollipop.
I bit the bullet and got an iPhone SE (still have a windows laptop so there, Power to the people and all that, got fed up with Linux and Ubuntu!)
The SE is a lovely little phone and PP works from several feet away from the car.
The other day I went to a busy Pub and found the only available parking space but meant I had to park drivers side against a wall, no problem I thought. Xperia wouldn't connect. After standing next to my car *****ing about with my phone for 5 minutes and getting pretty peeved that was enough for me to change. Sadly I didn't have a small child with me to park the car up instead.
Happy parking everyone.
Rowdy

I also got similar answer..

1. Remote Parking Pilot - this service is only compatible with iPhone and Samsung brands, specifically iPhone versions from 5c, 5s
and Samsung S6, S6edge, S7, S7edge, iOS from the versions 8.3, (iPhone 5s/c were delivered with version iOS 7.0) and Android from 6.0.1.

Now I updated my phone to Galaxy S8+ and waiting to see the Mercedes me response

also another one related to Digital Key if you opted and paid..

2. Digital smart key service is so far only available in Germany for Vodafone customers. It will be launched in other countries later this year, but we do not know the exact date yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom