Parking Sensor Failure 2 Red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bh13coupe

Car
124 coupe
Hi Guys

My Parking sensors have ceased to operate, I get just 2 red lights on each side (front and back) no amber colours. The sensors don't seem to be seeing anything. Could this be a single sensor failure (would this affect front and back?) or the parking sensor control module?
I have had no bumper damage and there isnt a towbar fitted.
thanks

Paul

in case you don't have the relevant documentation:

Parktronic system malfunction​
There is a malfunction in the Parktronic system,
if only the red distance segments illuminate
and an acoustic warning sounds. The
Parktronic system will automatically switch
off after 20 seconds and the indicator lamp​
2​
in the Parktronic switch 1 comes on.

X​
Have the Parktronic system checked at an
authorized Mercedes-Benz Center as soon
as possible.
If only the red distance segments illuminate
and no acoustic warning sounds, the Parktronic
system sensors are dirty (e.g. dirt, ice,
snow and slush) or there is an interference
from other radio or ultrasonic signals (e.g.
truck air brakes, car wash, or jackhammers).
The Parktronic system will automatically
switch off after 20 seconds and the indicator
lamp in the Parktronic switch comes on.

X​
Switch off the ignition.

X​
Clean the Parktronic system sensors
(
Y page 244).

X​
Switch on the ignition.
or

X​
Check the Parktronic system operation at
another location to rule out interference

from outside radio or ultrasonic signals.

Paul

Thanks for the info, looks like the latter reading above, 2 lights and no sound. Although the car is pretty clean and hasn't been near any mud or slush.

I have the same problem. all 4 red lights come on with a beep, then nothing and it goes off in 20 seconds. The car is very clean and nothing interfering.

Did you manage to find out what was the cause?

Thanks

I have the same problem. all 4 red lights come on with a beep, then nothing and it goes off in 20 seconds. The car is very clean and nothing interfering.

Did you manage to find out what was the cause?

I have the same problem with my S210. I'm reluctant to take to the Stealership...

The problem has self rectified itself :wallbash::wallbash: for the moment. I canly assume it has something to do with moisture that had since cleared. I am watching it closely to see if there is a pattern should it happen again.

I used to get this occasionally on the Vito, typically when wet/raining.

It gradually got more frequent ... in the end it needed a sensor replacing (done under warranty).

I am all red front and rear plus noise. Took it to Mercedes and they don't really know how to use Star but did think it was because they are not seated correctly.
I am assuming it is because they are not dead centre in each hole?

Anyone experienced similar? Thanks

I had the same problem... two red lights on each side before the system shut down... then read a couple of the posts here...
I gave the sensors a wash with light detergent and water... after which the system worked perfectly again!
They appeared clean in the first place... the car is never 'dirty'... so happy!!!
This may not solve the problem for everyone, but it certainly saved me an expensive trip to the Mercedes service centre. :)

I have this problem on my 2007 E Class, red lights then switches off, tried cleaning them to no avail.
Has anyone ever taken it to dealer and got it fixed and how much was it.

The dealers charge £78 for a sensor £15 for the paint plus 1 hours labour.
You can buy one from ebay for £15 but iv had no success with theses, the last one I did I got from the MB and put it on my self not to difficult to do.
The sensors seem to be a weak point iv gone through 3 in 2 years:(

I had the same problem on my ML. Got cheap Mechanics Stethoscope and checked them all. Rear left one turned out to be quiet not ticking when you bring stethoscope probe near to it. Replaced it with Bosch from amazon seller and all working fine.

When checking make sure ignition is on and for rear ones the gear stick must be in reverse. The ticking sound is very clear when using that tool so if there is no noise then it is faulty. One faulty sensor will disable the whole system.

Sensor alignment is critical, if the bumpers been hit or there's moisture getting in it will put 4 red lights up and a beep.

Sometimes there's damage to the sensor housing from impact but visually looks ok from the exterior.

Star can check the sensors and pinpoint which ones causing the fault.

I had the same problem on my ML. Got cheap Mechanics Stethoscope and checked them all. Rear left one turned out to be quiet not ticking when you bring stethoscope probe near to it. Replaced it with Bosch from amazon seller and all working fine.

When checking make sure ignition is on and for rear ones the gear stick must be in reverse. The ticking sound is very clear when using that tool so if there is no noise then it is faulty. One faulty sensor will disable the whole system.

Unfortunately I cannot put my ML into reverse with the engine off so I cannot try this method.

Hmm, similar problem after my car has been left in the rain for a whole day. Done 1000 miles or so over last weekend with no issues.

I do have 2 reds each side on the front without any sound. I'll give it a wash with Karcher first and if nothing happens, shall look to replace faulty.

One question though, do all sensors come only in black and require painting, or you can order required colour match for the car?

Unfortunately I cannot put my ML into reverse with the engine off so I cannot try this method.

You can, there's a release button near the stick that's there so the car can be put into neutral for towing. Check your handbook for how yours works.

If you start the ML up, put it into Neutral and then turn it off again, then im sure you can push it into reverse with just the ignition lights on. Mine will do that.

My car did this for a little while on the front sensors for abit last year. Then its been alright after i replaced a sensor about 6 months ago, now its started doing the same thing again from time to time.

Only the red lights come on with a beep, then it all shuts down. Reverse parking has become a pretty scary thing.

This all started happening to me as soon as i installed an aftermarket headunit with bluetooth handsfree/ audio player. Seems to me that this interfeers !

i have this same problem, i replaced all the front sensors then it worked fine for a couple of days and now it's started again.

Getting very frustrating now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom