Parking Sensor Failure 2 Red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got the dreaded Parktronic failure now. It comes and goes. I read a load of codes suggesting the sensors are either not seated correctly or have an obstruction across them.

First thing I've done is cleared the codes in case their from another time and I'm going to clean them all and then see if the fault appears again.

Last edited:
So I cleaned all of my sensors reset the fault codes and went out to Aldi (yes I know how to have fun) and the four reds appeared again. Scanned and got this

"A43b (right outer sensor, rear bumper) : Sensor is faulty."

I've scanned it a few times and didn't get anything else. So fingers crossed a replacement sensor fixes it.

But what is strange is that it'll do this on and off, it'll work most of the time. The four reds I get are on the front and rear panels, is that normal for one failed sensor?

Do you know of a good aftermarket rear sensor for the S211?

I've searched online, but the photos show different shapes and I'd rather only remove the bumper the once to swap the sensor, rather than removing it first to find out which one it is.

Thanks.

Got mine on ebay for about a tenner.

If the listing says it's suitable for your car, chances are it is, and if it's not, the seller will have to refund...

Out of interest who are you lot using to change the sensors?

I've got one out on the ML and getting prices of £200 to change it.

Out of interest who are you lot using to change the sensors?

I've got one out on the ML and getting prices of £200 to change it.

Well I'll do mine myself, once I find out which actual sensor I need to buy.

Assuming main dealer prices would be silly, so trying to source who the aftermarket manufacturer is and buy a good aftermarket sensor.

Reactions: Nat
How do I actually remove the S211 rear parking sensors? I'm having a look, but it's a bit stubborn and I don't want to break anything.

The black cover had fallen off, so perhaps some water has got to where it shouldn't be. But I'd like to remove it and take a better look.

Managed to get it out.

The sensor appears to have a silicone back to it, which is very squishy and oozes water.

46025335935_85f460fb3f_c.jpg

For future reference, here's the writing detailing the MB part number and the Bosch part number of the sensor for the S211.

46025337595_61964334e4_c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm on my own with this one but £59+vat for a parking sensor, plus paint, sounds crazy money?

Well yes, it does appear expensive, considering the exact same sensor can be had for £30 inc vat, then there's the aftermarket options we're looking at.

Thanks for finding that sensor and company on eBay, it's a little cheaper so I bought one.

I found the website yesterday when doing a search for this issue, the results came up with a thread from this forum where someone said they'd bought one of those and it worked fine.

I'll give it a go and report back.

Last edited:
So my replacement aftermarket sensor arrived. I've fitted it without painting it for now as I'd like to trial it.

So far so good, but I'll wait a while before painting it.

Had a prang that required bumper to be replaced. Thought the sensor might be damaged, but all was good.
Wind on a couple of months and it started occasionally giving the 2 red lights plus sound, and then did it more often, until for the last 2 months it has been faulty every time.

Yesterday Phone the guy that did the original repair and he said no probs, he'll arrange to get an OBD and confirm which one is faulty and get it sorted.

That evening get into the car, and for the first friggin' time in two months, the rear sensors are working fine, and still working fine this morning.

No doubt they will go faulty again, but little point in going to the guy unless/until they are faulty.

Grrrrr!!!!

Had a prang that required bumper to be replaced. Thought the sensor might be damaged, but all was good.
Wind on a couple of months and it started occasionally giving the 2 red lights plus sound, and then did it more often, until for the last 2 months it has been faulty every time.

Yesterday Phone the guy that did the original repair and he said no probs, he'll arrange to get an OBD and confirm which one is faulty and get it sorted.

That evening get into the car, and for the first friggin' time in two months, the rear sensors are working fine, and still working fine this morning.

No doubt they will go faulty again, but little point in going to the guy unless/until they are faulty.

Grrrrr!!!!
Hi Tangey
Where did you got it repaired and how much did this cost?
Can I have the contact details please?
Parktronic not working on ML250, Two red lights

The sensors haven't gone faulty again since I phoned the guy to make the appointment.

I think he has a phone-in cure for sensors :)

Can this be related? W203 2006 320CDI. The lock out on reverse gear has been playing up. sometimes only lets you move into reverse with foot off the brake, sometimes it works normally, ive been searching elsewhere for that fix
But I noticed that the parking sensors have stopped working at or about the same time.
I'm not seeing any red bars in front or rear displays.
Could the two items be related?

Last edited:
Have you had any work done on the car? Had my front bumper painted and upon collection I noticed shortly after mine weren’t working, dropped it back off and after a day they called me to say it was nothing they’d done and they were obviously pattern sensors that weren’t compatible.
My argument then was that they worked prior to dropping the car off and at first they were hesitant to help, I did some research and found that C63 FL has 2 different types on the front bumper, lateral on the outer 2 and the rest are different...I told the bodyshop this and eventually they had a look and realised this was the case. Lucky really as they wee about to charge me for 2 new sensors painting and fitting!

My 211 has also now developed the sensor issue. Running a diagnostic gives the faulty sensor, but being a bit dim, I'm not sure which way round they are referred to, ie is the right right as seen from front or back?

My 211 has also now developed the sensor issue. Running a diagnostic gives the faulty sensor, but being a bit dim, I'm not sure which way round they are referred to, ie is the right right as seen from front or back?
Yes, when referring to left and right sensors, that is as if you are sitting in the car, facing forward.

I ordered a bag of the A2215420417 parking sensors from China. For our 2010 ML350 CDi (W164). £4 each inc. shipping from a Shenzhen ebay seller. Imagine my amazement when what arrived were genuine Bosch sensors!

Definitely a DIY job replacing them; the Merc garage demanded £520 to remove (rear) bumper, replace two sensors and re-fit!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-06-17 11-39-44.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-17 11-39-44.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom