Parking sensors self fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marm1te

Car
W203 220 CDI
Just fitted Maplin parking sensors to my 2005 w203 for the grand total of £19.99. Colour coded the sensors first with primer, 2 coats colour and 1 coat clear lacquer (worried in case they wouldn't work because of paint and metallic paint to - there's lots of conflicting advice on the web about this). There are some good guides in the net about this but heres mine 1) Undid screw to side bumper side strips, removed side then back strip and other side (very dirty under there so a good clean). 2) use measurements and the level line marked on back of centre strip to get sacing and levels just right 2) Measured up carefully, especially outer two sensors which i placed just inside the RH and LH edges of the the centre strip and drilled pilot then used hole cutter provided - very easy and clean drill! Popped in sensors.. 3) Fed wires behind bumper to just below right hand side rear light (more room there because exhaust is on LHS), pushed back all bumper pieces - quite easy. Found access hole to boot compartment ( just under plastic trim held by a single nut). 4) Then popped out grommet, gouged hole in grommet and fed wires through it, replaced grommet with silicone and liberal application of silicone over grommet. 5) Cut reverse wire (grey and yellow on my car), useful link here to wiring diagram http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1631945-wiring-diagram-heated-rear-window-stop.html. 6) Connected sensor live, earthed to bolt on side panel, connected display / audible warning unit.

Held my breath and started car - applied reverse, held on parking brake jumped out - by heck it works!!!! Perfectly!! Even distance displayed accurately to within 5-10cm, sensors NOT effected by paint! Hurrah.

Then needed to decide what to with display - did not want it on dash (no way was I going to started taking apart dash to feed through wires). Located display at very back of parcel shelf in centre - where I could see it from drivers seat (so long as not got 3rd passenger), drilled hole through parcel shelf - which actually proved the most job of all because access was difficult because if rake of windscreen ( I know, I know - I probably shouldn't have done that but it turned out ok).. Tidied up all wires. Absolutely delighted with end result - first time I've done anything like this and it really was fun and not so difficult as I feared - all for £20, wow. I will tell you if the sensors are still working in 1 week and maybe post some pictures.

Here's some pics of display on rear shelf taken in rear view mirror so it's reading 0.5m not 2.0m as it appears to). In reverse the sensor display shows two red lights but no audible and then shows distance and audible from 1.5m or less.

Attachments

• image-900829307.jpg
    image-900829307.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 43
  • image-3843016476.jpg
    image-3843016476.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom