Parking Ticket Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petef

Car
Mercedes 200C
I parked on a single yellow line yesterday just outside a busy shopping centre. The only reason i did this was pure frustration as i couldnt get a place in the pay and display and had been driving round and round. the car park very frustrated...anyway to the point !...When i returned to my car a very miserable looking traffic attendant ( not the ones with the yellow line around their hat but the ones in grey and green uniforms ) was stood next to my car and was writing (pressumably) a ticket for me . I hastily got in my car and sped off into the distance as i was sure that i had read somewhere that if the warden / attendant doesnt put the ticket on your windscreen then the ticket is not valid ?? Anyone know if this is correct .....:( :eek:

petef said:
I parked on a single yellow line yesterday just outside a busy shopping centre. The only reason i did this was pure frustration as i couldnt get a place in the pay and display and had been driving round and round. the car park very frustrated...anyway to the point !........:( :eek:

Did you ask the car park why it was frustrated? Maybe it was having a bad day. ;)

DieselE said:
Did you ask the car park why it was frustrated? Maybe it was having a bad day. ;)

Hahah :p

In those situations its best to just quickly tell the traffic warden that you're moving it, if he says its too late its been issued then chances are you will end up paying - sometmies if they're in a good mood you might get away with it. Had a similiar situation and they claimed the ticket was issued (no mention of it was on the window it self, even though it was not as he was still on his little bike typing it in) and had to pay as I didn't have time to go thru the motions and risk the 14 day price jump.

petef said:
I parked on a single yellow line yesterday just outside a busy shopping centre. The only reason i did this was pure frustration as i couldnt get a place in the pay and display and had been driving round and round. the car park very frustrated...anyway to the point !...When i returned to my car a very miserable looking traffic attendant ( not the ones with the yellow line around their hat but the ones in grey and green uniforms ) was stood next to my car and was writing (pressumably) a ticket for me . I hastily got in my car and sped off into the distance as i was sure that i had read somewhere that if the warden / attendant doesnt put the ticket on your windscreen then the ticket is not valid ?? Anyone know if this is correct .....:( :eek:

Had this experience loads of times being a van driver...depends on the traffic warden. Sometimes they don't stick it on but they say it was issued, sometimes they don't bother. Either way, you can't be expected to pay the ticket without the ticket or a reference number. (Thats the line I use anyways...gets me out of it most of the time :D )...

Depends where and by whom.

Assume this was not London, as some London boroughs have postal PCN, so it matters not whether the PCN is affixed to the vehicle.

If this is a Parking Attendant it's a RTA'91 PCN, which has to be affixed to the vehicle or handed to the person who appears to be the driver.

If this is a Police Traffic Warden (not operating under RTA'91) it does not have to be affixed to the vehicle.

Rob

This happened to me in London, I had parked on a red route - I saw the attendent writing the ticket but drove off before they could place it.

About 4 weeks later I got the ticket through the post

I paid up and took my medicine like a good boy...

Bus lane use in Bus Lane hours...BIG No No in London. Same with Red routes. Stopped for a few mins to read a map, got a parking fine for it few days later. :\

Thanks for the advice everyone. Since posting have gained more info. Apparently it does have to be put on windscreen. Infact the council advised me today that the attendants actually photograph the car with the ticket on once issued to prevent people saying the attendant did not affix to windscreen.

robert.saunders said:
Depends where and by whom.

Assume this was not London, as some London boroughs have postal PCN, so it matters not whether the PCN is affixed to the vehicle.

If this is a Parking Attendant it's a RTA'91 PCN, which has to be affixed to the vehicle or handed to the person who appears to be the driver.

If this is a Police Traffic Warden (not operating under RTA'91) it does not have to be affixed to the vehicle.

Rob

For what it's worth, I had a run-in just like this with Camden - returned to the car as the warden was writing the ticket and drove off before he finished (although he did put an empty wallet under my wiper :confused: ).

Having no ticket, I duly received the Notice to Owner, which I appealed against stating that as the ticket was not placed on the car nor given to the driver it was invalid under the RTA 1991. Camden denied receiving this, and so I then get a Notice that bailiffs are instructed. So then I had to submit a Statutory Declaration and an Out of Time Statutory Declaration to Northampton County Court.

They rightly upheld my appeal. I have to say that the National Parking Appeal Service was very helpful.

NPAS err on the "side" of the motorist generally, it's such a shame Camden operate like this, shameful in fact, and a right to-do that you have to submit your stat dec/late stat dec just to get the facts (re-)presented. This does the industry no favours whatsoever :(

robert.saunders said:
NPAS err on the "side" of the motorist generally, it's such a shame Camden operate like this, shameful in fact, and a right to-do that you have to submit your stat dec/late stat dec just to get the facts (re-)presented. This does the industry no favours whatsoever :(

As usual ALL your posts are constructive and VERY informative. :bannana: :bannana:

Thanks for educating me.

Regards,
John

Well its the 5th July and no parket ticket has come through the door !! ..........So if you see an attendant (or whatever they are called,) dont stop to discuss why you shouldnt get a ticket, and certainly dont get fooled into delaying tactics by the warden. Some motorist will try and pursuade the attendant not to issue the ticket...the response being by the attendant that he / she has already started writing and it cant be stopped,thus giving the attendant more time to place the ticket on the windscreen !!....Happy days

Little tip too. If a police officer is ever writing some kind of ticket on your car, DON'T drive off, particularly if they are in speaking to you at the time. You will invariably be arrested and prosecuted for all sorts of offences...

Carrotchomper said:
Little tip too. If a police officer is ever writing some kind of ticket on your car, DON'T drive off, particularly if they are in speaking to you at the time. You will invariably be arrested and prosecuted for all sorts of offences...

Yea I think you are right on that one, but of course we would treat plod with a little more respect than a traffic warden !!!:)

petef said:
Yea I think you are right on that one, but of course we would treat plod with a little more respect than a traffic warden !!!:)
I got done in Oxford not just for a (youthful) parking offence but for failing to give the warden my details when asked. I took the view that I had received the ticket and that was quite enough. Apparently the court saw things differently, but I was young and uppity in them thar days. Still don't know why she wanted to know my name etc though it certainly wasn't romance, the hag faced witch....

11 th of August and no ticket....Happy days..!!!! Birdman , how did you get done for not giving a Warden your details ? I didnt even know that was an offence ? How the hell would they prove it unless you admitted when questioned that you failed to give your details. One thing I have learnt over the years is never, ever admit anything. Most convictions ( and I am not talking motoring ) are based on people admitting something when under pressure from the police....and it is usually the people who are not familiar with the legal system eg the middle classes. Easy targets for plod.

We had no Internet and hence no illuminating forums like this one. Now I'd deny everything just like the toe-rags did in them days and probably torch a speed camera to express my feelings about misguided authority....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom