Parking Ticket = Fuming Mad!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Just got myself an unwelcome parking ticket in Sainsbury's car park from Poole Council after buying and displaying a ticket! I'm fuming mad.

Paid 80p for an hours parking at 10 13am and at 10 24am despite part at the separated ticket being on the dash, I was given a ticket for "Not Displaying" a valid ticket.
It's one of those tickets that gives you a refund on your parking fee if you spend £5 or more and the reverse side of one portion clearly shows that is the part of the ticket to show in-store when paying.
So I separate ticket, place the other part on the dash without reading it and wander off. On my return I spot the parking ticket and the part I left on the dash telling me that was the refund portion and was not valid for display in the car park.

I'm going to dispute this ticket as it clearly states I had to take the part of the ticket into the store for the refund (which I incidentally didn't use)
OK, the part I left behind also states its not valid,my fault for not noticing that, but you can't have it both ways in my view.

Photos below showing part on the right which I left on the dash in Pic 1 and the part on the left, clearly written in orange in pic 2 stating thatwas the part to take.

Should I bend over, or do I have a case?

DSCF0092_zpsb9wmaozy.jpg

DSCF0093_zpslagb0oib.jpg

IMHO, a polite letter explaining that you simply picked up the incorrect ticket portion should suffice.

Looks like the paper in the ticket machine was out of sync, and that text in orange was meant to be on the back of the right hand section. That says "see reverse for details" - what is on the back?

WHERE is Robert Saunders when you need him. This is his field of expertise.:dk:

WHERE is Robert Saunders when you need him. This is his field of expertise.:dk:

Now there's a name from the past! He's actually been on here more recently than I expected
Last Activity: 25-07-2014 11:19 AM

Last post was 2 years before that though.

You made an honest mistake and I think a letter to council should be OK. I have had a situation where I drove (unknowingly) in bas lane near a train station and got a PCN but I wrote a letter explaining that I am new to the town and did not see the sign posted. I was not hoping much but council accepted it and cancelled my PCN. It's worth trying!

Looks like the paper in the ticket machine was out of sync, and that text in orange was meant to be on the back of the right hand section. That says "see reverse for details" - what is on the back?

There's a thought. Nothing on the back of that part except the Sainsbury logo

One on the right says 'not valid for displaying in vehicle'?

But you did display the part not valid and it does tell you not to on it!

Don't you take in the refund part of your ticket on your next visit to then get your refunded amount then not laying yourself open to a fine?

Or, live up here where I do and in all Sainsbury parking is Free for 3 hours:D

Unfortunately you're slightly at the whim of how officious the council wants to be. - Clearly they are slightly officious to have issued a fine when you clearly paid.

You should just have to produce the other half to prove that you did pay for parking.

Often it's more trouble than it's worth for the council to argue with someone about fines like this; if enough people just pay up, they're happy.

As printed, the ticket is clearly illogical. Out of sync, as said.

Ask them how has this helped you 'live well for less'?

I feel your pain, Roger.

However, I think you'll be p!ssing in the wind mate.
Councils are all the same - skint and full of people who's job it is to make money out of Joe Public and derive enjoyment from telling you that the fine still stands.

IIRC, the only excuses you can put forward that might make them consider waiving the penalty are:
That you were bursting for the loo (tell them that you actually didn't make it :eek:).
That you had returned to the shop to check if you had left you lost wallet there earlier.

Good luck. :thumb:

You don't get this at Aldi.....!
I'd definatley dispute this, there is no arguing you have paid to park. Even if they knock you back you had a go....
Good luck Roger

I feel your pain, Roger.

However, I think you'll be p!ssing in the wind mate.
Councils are all the same - skint and full of people who's job it is to make money out of Joe Public and derive enjoyment from telling you that the fine still stands.

IIRC, the only excuses you can put forward that might make them consider waiving the penalty are:
That you were bursting for the loo (tell them that you actually didn't make it :eek:).
That you had returned to the shop to check if you had left you lost wallet there earlier.

Good luck. :thumb:

Sheffield council were very fair with me - I did write my letter saying brother worker quite alot and addressed it to the President of the Republic of South Yorkshire (Parking Division) though....

One on the right says 'not valid for displaying in vehicle'?

It does, and I own up to not even looking at that part.

Most of the car parks attached to supermarkets around here have this kind of offer. Spend £5, get your car parking fee refunded.
I just turned the ticket over, saw the part saying "Hand this portion of the ticket to the cashier......", tore that off and put the remaining portion on the dash without looking at it.

My fault, but I think understandable?

Just write to Mr Sainsbury , and ask him who is in charge of HIS car park : him or the council ?

Most supermarkets hereabouts own their car parks - and don't charge customers to use them !

In fact , even going into Glasgow , and counting some of the retail parks where the car parks are shared , I can't think of any that charge ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom