Parking Ticket? Give this Guy a Medal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
LINK. :D

This aside, I spoke with someone earlier today who's brother works for a council highway maintenance dept. They are exempt from parking tickets but were given one whilst carrying out repairs. When asked why he issued the ticket (that would be automatically cancelled after contacting the correct dept) the Traffic Warden said "I have a target of issuing 40 tickets a day and that's all that matters to me." :crazy:

I don't get it?

He still paid and it's cost him a lot of time and effort, the council still got their £25?

He's lost on more than the £25?

I do not think that either party came out of this well!

Don't believe it, that amount of small change does not count as tender and would not be accepted as payment by any council.
Ask me how I know.

The council would have been within their rights to refuse payment as this wouldnt be considered legal tender.

I can understand his irritation, but the penalty is effectively for failing to DISPLAY the ticket, not failing to purchase one. I'd just have paid the £25, chalked it up to experience, and resolved to make sure future tickets were securely on the dashboard.

And I, too, thought that much in coppers was not legal tender.

Last edited:
Found out the other day that the parking attendants (red band round their hat, not pukka Traffic Warden yellow) are allowed to park their car on yellow lines, while carrying out their duty, or so it said on their windscreen sticker. (In Tring we don't have "our own", they turn up in pairs and "do" the town).

Dilemma:

I saw two of them arrive, park on a yellow line, then go into the sandwich shop/cafe for their breakfast. Does their meal break, to which I suppose they are entitled, qualify for carrying out their duties?:devil:

Was it really worth the hassle?. I had a similar thing a few years ago when my ticket dropped off the screen. The penalty was cancelled on appeal but was reminded by the local authority that the terms of parking were pay and display.

I hate when people advise to suck it up and count it as experience. If everyone had that mindset, criminality by the authorities will be the order of the day.

I hate when people advise to suck it up and count it as experience. If everyone had that mindset, criminality by the authorities will be the order of the day.

I have to suck it up beacuase I'm usually guilty as can be!

Don't believe it, that amount of small change does not count as tender and would not be accepted as payment by any council.
Ask me how I know.

The council would have been within their rights to refuse payment as this wouldnt be considered legal tender.

Go on then, im intrigued? As far as I know the guy could have paid in stamps if he so wished as even those are considered legal tender.

There is a myth that over a certain amount coins are no longer legal tender.

If true it will be largely unenforcable. I suppose that the receiver could invoke some kind of policy of their own to prevent the burden of accepting, and banking, large amounts of coin.

Yes...thats my point, the council don't have to accept payment in coppers if the value is over 20p.

There you go

What coins can you pay with:
1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
5p - for any amount not exceeding £5
10p - for any amount not exceeding £5
20p - for any amount not exceeding £10
50p - for any amount not exceeding £10
£1 - for any amount
£2 - for any amount

The facts, according to the article:
1. He bought a valid ticket
2. The ticket landed on the floor after it fell off the dashboard

Bad PR move on the council's behalf.

Question: What's the maximum number of coins he could pay with, that they would have to accept according to the table above?

Answer: 238

Coin Qty Amount
£0.01 20 £0.20
£0.02 10 £0.20
£0.05 100 £5.00
£0.10 50 £5.00
£0.20 48 £9.60
£0.50 10 £5.00

Total 238 £25.00

Legal, but still annoying for Council jobsworths to collect ;)

Last edited:
20 x 1p
10 x 2p
100 x 5p
50 x 10p
47 x 20p
10 x 50p

Total 237 coins

Giving the collector 238 coins would be hilarious to see the council employee's face screw up with indignation as they discover they've been tangoed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom