Parking Ticket Madness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ahh ok, I see where you are coming from but in this instance I suspect it is council land and they are not allowed to charge for parking on Sundays. So the more bays they could charge for the rest of the week means they maximise profits.

Like Spike, I was in two minds over this; but then I thought about it.

It was your decision to "purchase" parking there (free or not, it's a service provided). The rules of doing so are you park in a single-space, within the lines. You broke those rules. (and I'm fairly sure they will have a sign somewhere, if not a line on the ticket saying "T&C apply".)

When I'm worried about my car, I'll park in a far off corner, near a bollard and away from other cars. Surely if the parking lot was empty on that floor finding a space where there are no cars on either side shouldn't be hard. People tend to park leaving an empty bay between cars if possible.

If they don't leave an empty bay between cars, then the lot has become full, and your parking over 2 bays is selfish and is inconveniencing others (even more so as it's free).

No sympathy from here I'm afraid.

M.

Like Spike, I was in two minds over this; but then I thought about it.

It was your decision to "purchase" parking there (free or not, it's a service provided). The rules of doing so are you park in a single-space, within the lines. You broke those rules. (and I'm fairly sure they will have a sign somewhere, if not a line on the ticket saying "T&C apply".)

When I'm worried about my car, I'll park in a far off corner, near a bollard and away from other cars. Surely if the parking lot was empty on that floor finding a space where there are no cars on either side shouldn't be hard. People tend to park leaving an empty bay between cars if possible.

If they don't leave an empty bay between cars, then the lot has become full, and your parking over 2 bays is selfish and is inconveniencing others (even more so as it's free).

No sympathy from here I'm afraid.

M.

Of course, the other course of action is........ if you don't want your car damaged, go into town using other means!!! Bus, taxi etc etc....

Wow. Didnt expect that many replies in such a small space in time!!

I am somewhat upset and annoyed at being called selfish!! I completely disagree that i acted in a selfish manner, and as stated, the car park level i parked on was practically empty when i entered, and was in the same condition when i left.

Again to defend myself, i chose to do this out of my own better judgement, to avoid the said previous damages etc. I know it is out of context and could be argued to have nothing to do with this, but when parking at a large northern airport last year (in my previous car), i had adhered to the parking space restrictions and came back to find that some inconsiderate (possibly selfish??!?) individual had decided to drag an airport trolley with all their luggage past my (black) car, and leave a number of massive, deep scratches and a crack in the rear o/s section and rear bumper.

So considering this, and taking into account the mixed views expressed to my original post, should i have:

a) parked lower down in the car park; in a space next to 2 other cars, and risked having my car potentially scratched/dented, and then have to pay to have it fixed etc.

b) Parked on the upper levels where there were fewer cars and therefore less risk, but parked over 2 bays to ensure no one came and parked next to me and did as described in a)??

I accept that it would have been totally selfish and inconsiderate to do this in a busy car park and i can promise you i am not that type of guy. But in a 'free' car park, out side of the town centre, on a practically empty level, for half and hour.......come on .....seriously!! The punishment simply doesnt seem to fit the crime (if indeed there was one!)

the car park level i parked on was practically empty when i entered, and was in the same condition when i left.

So actually there was no need to use 2 spaces :confused:

Nowdays tactical as well as technical parking skills are required. Watch out for the "extra wide" spaces that are in some places limited to use by cars with child seats and those with a disabled badge (yet are not Disabled spaces) nor carry obvious warnings to that effect.

Expected to clock a single notice on the way in that said "Bays painted Blue on floors X and Y are restricted to use by......" Grrrr! :mad:[/QUOTE]

Our baby stays in her seat when we leave the car as it clip straight into the push chair, so how would this work? another great idea...

...i am going into GMP next march...

Am i right in what i am saying? Where do you think i stand with my appeal to the council? Or should i just shut up and be a law-abiding 'sheep' and pay the fine??

I just want to know if your opinion changes after you've worked for the GMP for a few months....

:D

Wow. Didnt expect that many replies in such a small space in time!!

should i have:

a) parked lower down in the car park; in a space next to 2 other cars, and risked having my car potentially scratched/dented, and then have to pay to have it fixed etc.

b) Parked on the upper levels where there were fewer cars and therefore less risk, but parked over 2 bays to ensure no one came and parked next to me and did as described in a)??
Obviously touched nerve with plenty of us. :D

Actually people not parking properly in bays is one of my pet hates - I used to have a 175K miles Astra and I would always park that in the middle of the bay no matter what (well as long I didn't physically touch the car next door). Included a few instances when the owner would turn up and have to shuffle across from the passenger side.

When I'm in a car I care about more I alway go for the widest spaces and away from others as mush as possible. At work I park on the end of a row next to a wall every day and as far over in the space as I can get.

In answer to your question - c) park on the quiet floor, at the end of a row and to one side of the space. But given your recent experience I can understand why you did what you did.

I got a similar ticket a good few years ago for "not parking in marked bay" where everyone used to park. But yes strictly it wasn't a proper bay, just a peice of spare tarmac - suddenly the council decided this rule applied to it.

The problem is surely that most parking spaces are too small - and they're getting smaller. I'm hoping that some day soon someone will successfully sue a car park provider for making spaces too small and thus causing the owner's car to be damaged.

One council car park I use (rarely) has spaces so small that some perfectly ordinary cars simply can't fit in the space. (At least two tyres - or all four - will be on the dividing lines.) It is therefore impossible to get out of the car without hitting the adjacent car (gently). :mad:

I think you will find it's the cars getting larger.:rolleyes:

True. The current Polo is the size of a MK1 Golf. What surpised me most was following a 190E and the Yaris that overtook me looked broader and larger than a 90's executive saloon.

However if the spaces were free then how can you be fined for parking in both. If the car park was so empty, then how was it selfish of the OP to take 2 spaces, he just wanted to ensure his car remained safe from being dented.

I had a large SUV and frequently had to take 2 spaces due to its width - However I felt I was entitled to do so @ every occasion (in the free parking in Helensburgh) due to the amount of tax on my fuel and extra VED I was paying, so why shouldn't my larger car get extra prividges afforded to it?

@ Times when you have to pay for parking surely if you pay for 2 spaces can you not park in 2 spaces.

Any excuse to make money, thats what I think.

Standard space dimensions are a set minimum of 2.4x4.8m IIRC

I always park away from others if possible simply because the CE doors are huge and getting into the back with Junior B is tricky in less than 2 foot of space. Often return to my car left in acres of space to find someone parked right next to it....

The problem with society is other people ;)

Ade

I can't say I've ever parked across two bays widthwise. However, with an SEL being 17 feet and one inch long, you can't help but have the nose or boot overhanging the space. A personal gripe of mine is when you see a car parked in a parent & child bay with the "child" in question being a 6 foot something teenager.......Grrrrrrrrrrrr.....

So actually there was no need to use 2 spaces :confused:
Does it matter, he wasn't to know it would still be the same when he returned. It was free parking, if it was not on a Sunday ,he could have bought 2 tickets, how many time has someone came back to the car and found a carpark dent and no note with the name and telephone no of the person who did it.

Spaces are getting smaller and cars are getting bigger, I would do the same or park next to a Bentley,Roller or an other Mercedes, not a Metro or Astra.

Alan

I completely disagree that i acted in a selfish manner, and as stated, the car park level i parked on was practically empty when i entered, and was in the same condition when i left.
So, assuming you are inferring that the parking lot was empty throughout - then parking in a distant corner away from other cars woudl have meant no-one parked next to you...

So considering this, and taking into account the mixed views expressed to my original post, should i have:

c?
c) Parked on the upper levels where there were fewer cars and therefore less risk, park on a single bay, but far away from other cars. Hence, if the parking lot doesn't fill up, your car is still distant from other cars.

(and if the parking lot does fill up, and someone does park next to you - well then that's life. Had you parked over two bays, it would have been selfish as in this scenario, the parking lot is full and someone else could have used that bay).

I have been known to park my older motorbike (very) close to cars parked over 2 bays... Not great I know - but if the driver is only using half of that bay, I'll use the other half!

Pay the fine and be happy you didn't get clamped...

M.

Last edited:
I can't say I've ever parked across two bays widthwise. However, with an SEL being 17 feet and one inch long, you can't help but have the nose or boot overhanging the space. A personal gripe of mine is when you see a car parked in a parent & child bay with the "child" in question being a 6 foot something teenager.......Grrrrrrrrrrrr.....

I park in the parent and child spaces. (only when there are plenty left)

I am the parent. My car is my child.:D

Thanks for your replies. Whilst i understand that it may annoy people when others park over 2 spaces, as i said in the original post, i did it as the upper level was practically empty and i was sick of getting my car scratched and dented. I am not an inconsiderate/selfish person and am to my knowledge, fully law abiding. Which was were my main gripe was. As there was no signage to indicate it was an offence to park over 2 bays, how did i know i was breaking the law, and equally so, why then should i be fined (and why so much?). I accept what people are saying about parking away from everone, and in the corner, but again, in an empty level, why should i park way away from the c/p exit. As people have also stated, i had no idea of the condition the car park was going to be in on my return, and in turn, why shouldnt i park over 2 spaces if there was no one there, and therfore i wasnt affecting or inconviencing anyone.

I fully intend to contest this fine. I think that it is completly unproportionate to the offence (?) commited, and in the light of it being a sunday and therfore a day where no payment for parking was required, and due to the complete lack of signage, i believe it is a truly unjustified fine. I shall let you know how i get on!

i did it as the upper level was practically empty and i was sick of getting my car scratched and dented.
We ain't getting through, are we? If it's empty, why the need for 2 spaces?

I am not an inconsiderate/selfish person and am to my knowledge, fully law abiding.
None of us is that perfect.

how did i know i was breaking the law
Not law, contract conditions. If you intend to join GMP, learn the difference between civil & criminal law.

why then should i be fined (and why so much?).
You accepted the contract terms by parking the car. Why so much? Because they can & because they want to dissuade folks from doing what you did (low penalties don't do that).

in an empty level, why should i park way away from the c/p exit
Because those that park near it will be well away from you.

i had no idea of the condition the car park was going to be in on my return............why shouldnt i park over 2 spaces if there was no one there, and therfore i wasnt affecting or inconviencing anyone.
If you didn't know it would be empty, how could you know you wouldn't be in the way? You can't have it both ways.

I fully intend to contest this fine.
Good luck. What grounds do you intend to use?

I think that it is completly unproportionate to the offence (?) commited
So why did you do it? Did you not check the rules before parking? If not, do you have any right to protest at not knowing the rules?

due to the complete lack of signage
If 'T&C applies' on the ticket machine then you'll lose. If you haven't seen the signage, how do you know it's free on Sundays? It will be assumed by your parking there that you've accepted all the rules, not just the one where it's free on Sundays.

i believe it is a truly unjustified fine.
But the man who wrote the rules doesn't.

RH

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom