Parking ticket - wrong date.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
Got a ticket yesterday (single yellow, couldnt find anywhere big enough for the Nav' )

BUT - the muppet put 11/01/06

So - what can I do?

According to the blurb, I can:-

pay within 28 days (cant do that - as I cant pay within 28 days of last year)

Apply for a court hearing. BUT I must do this within 28 days from the date of the notice. I must also tick one of two boxes - a) I was the driver at the time (Um - bit difficult, as in jan 06 it was still being built in Spain) or b) "I am the person reported by the police officer who recorded my name and address) - which Im not - I didnt see anyone - and noone took my name / address.

It also says (several times) "correspondance will not be entered into"

So what do I do?

I phoned the take yer money line - adn asked them. He asked me for the number across the top - and he said you must either pay or write to the court. I replied that I can't - as I cant write within 28 days, as that would mean febuary 2006....
He said 'I presume you know that that is supposed to be 2007' -

i said "is it? It says, clearly, 2006 on here"

- "well, its still valid, just because the date is wrong, doesnt mean the ticket is invalid :crazy: "

- "oh - ok - so if the street is wrong, is it still valid? The colour is wrong too - it says my car is blue, when its black - very black... " -

"well - just because the issuing officer might be colour blind, doesnt invalidate the ticket"

"are you serious? So the ticket date is wrong, the colour is wrong, but you expect me to believe that the rest is right? I can't write to the court in time, as Im over my 28 days, and I cant pay as Im also over the 28 days.... what am I supposed to do?"

"You know the ticket was issued yesterday dont you?"

"No I dont - I just havent noticed it - my car wasnt built when the ticket was issued - the only explanation I have is that someone went over to Spain and stuck this on the production line"

"We are not in the habit of issuing tickets in Spain, Sir."

etc etc - miserable sod - I was trying to be jolly about it - and the guy was getting more and more irate - until I said to him - lighten up!

Last edited:
Parking Tickets :mad:
My mate got one right outside his house at 2 in the morning:crazy: they even had the car wrong on the ticket It was a Pulsar, that doesn't matter you still have to pay it they said, it was a WPC :rolleyes:

Did you pay it or are you going to contest it?

I don't think I'd pay a parking ticket with incorrect details on it whether I was parked legitimately or not! If all the dates are wrong then fight the thing.

Yes, don't pay it Guy ......

Everything about the ticket is wrong , colour, date , everything .....

We are very lucky to having a member that MIGHT be able to enlighten us all.

Are you out there Robert?
Regards,
John

Around Woking the parking attendants take several photos of the vehicles they issue tickets to including a picture of the tax disk.

I think you'll find that if they have photos they can prove your car was there at some point in time that day.

Might be worth appealing though;)

I'm sure Robert will give a definitive answer, but in the meantime...

...my Dad was issued a parking ticket with an incorrect date about 20 years ago on the first day of our holiday*. It was only a day out IIRC, and so he contacted the appropriate body immediately and they dropped it immediately.

That was 20 years ago though...

* IIRC we were about 3 minutes late. The ticket was timed at 1 minute after the ticket expired, but we couldn't see the warden anywhere on the car park? Hmmm. Just as well he got the date wrong then!!

Alfie said:
I think you'll find that if they have photos they can prove your car was there at some point in time that day.
The photos simply prove that the car was there on a different day to the date stated on the ticket! :)

I would love to have been in on that phone call ... sounds fun.

I suspect that the notice is invalid because of incorrect information (same if they put the wrong registration).

Therefore I'd fight it - but do it properly via legal advice route. On the other hand - weigh up if you can be bothered to go through the hassle and time versus just paying the ticket in the first place.

Frankly I've always just paid it - easy life.

is it worth the hassle of going to court for £30? just write a letter your car was not there on jan 06 and state your car is black not blue, if you get let off fine if not just pay it, surely an afternoon in court will cost you more then £30 worth!

so the issuiung officer is colourblind and doesn't know what day it is... what hope has he got of reading the time and doing some simple arithmetic and writing it down properly. No point asking for his name - I assume he got that wrong too.

Appeal if you think it's worth while...I appealed one back in November when I got a ticket on my Sprinter, wrong time, wrong vehicle reg, and wrong vehicle colour...even wrong vehicle make! My appeal was upheld.

Silestanix said:
Appeal if you think it's worth while...I appealed one back in November when I got a ticket on my Sprinter, wrong time, wrong vehicle reg, and wrong vehicle colour...even wrong vehicle make! My appeal was upheld.
Sounds like someone else's ticket to me - I wouldn't have appealed, would've ignored it lol ;)

Will

Try this one too -

http://www.appealnow.com/

Cost is (I think) £7.99. Heard good reports about them, and, no, I have no connection with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom