Parking Ticket - wrong registration!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tim.100

Car
202&463
One of the local apes misread my registration when he left me my first ever parking ticket. Should I even bother to respond to this ticket?

They mistook a I for a 1.

1t could happen to anyone.

how do you know it's not you who is misreading the ticket.

I'd say you were on very dodgy ground ignoring that one

Andy

andy_k said:
how do you know it's not you who is misreading the ticket.

I'd say you were on very dodgy ground ignoring that one

Andy

I was thinking the same thing :confused:

Do you have an "interesting" number plate at all?

'Well punk do you feel lucky?' you could wait and see if they trace you, by your number plate. But by that time the charge would have doubled. So I ask you again 'do you feel lucky?'

tim.mcd said:
One of the local apes misread my registration when he left me my first ever parking ticket

They speak highly of you too. Tell me Tim - have you never ever misread something both at work and in your personal life? Never ever?

And before anybody starts on Parking Attendants, maybe they do not want to do the job but merely providing for family in the best way they know how? Of course, he/she may well be a natural dictator, but do we know that?

Not directed at you personally BTW - but rather a expression of frustration at how this board seems to be going the way of other forums with it's immediate negativity. "Apes" , "Muppets", "Stealers" If these were meant in an endearing way it would be sorta acceptable - but the impression I get is that in some areas the terms are used with venom.

To steal from one of our more (in)famous members

Steve the dismayed

In anticipation of flame hell....

pammy said:
I was thinking the same thing :confused:

Do you have an "interesting" number plate at all?

Its definitely a 1 character - the seriffs are plain to see in the font they've used on the ticket.

Pammy - its a Northern Irish plate used in the family for nearly 30 years. Maybe '1's are normally excluded from UK plates but not NI plates. I'll hunt around the DVLA web site later.

Furthermore it is a fully DVLA compliant plate made by the local VW dealer.

How about those Irish plates that everyone mistakes for proper personal plates ?

Like these ..

http://www.newreg.co.uk/search/sear...inyHomeGfx/listing/none/none/DIG/1/irish.html

EDIT :- Tim posted before me ....

If it's definately a 'one' and not an 'aye' I would ignore it. If they do have someone working there who cares ( unlikely) and puts their detective hat on (very unlikely) and tries different combinations of numbers and they finally do come after you , just say , I was never there , sorry .... my registration is different to the one you have issued the ticket with , so it's obviously not my car .

Last edited:
tim.mcd said:
Its definitely a 1 character - the seriffs are plain to see in the font they've used on the ticket.

Pammy - its a Northern Irish plate used in the family for nearly 30 years. Maybe '1's are normally excluded from UK plates but not NI plates. I'll hunt around the DVLA web site later.

Furthermore it is a fully DVLA compliant plate made by the local VW dealer.

Now I'm confused (not difficult at this time of the day by all accounts).

The parking attendant wrote your number plate down incorrectly substituting a '1' for an 'I'?

1's are definitely allowed on UK plates, but I's are perhaps not. Do you have an 'I' on your plate or a '1'?

Gollom said:
They speak highly of you too. Tell me Tim - have you never ever misread something both at work and in your personal life? Never ever?

And before anybody starts on Parking Attendants, maybe they do not want to do the job but merely providing for family in the best way they know how? Of course, he/she may well be a natural dictator, but do we know that?

Not directed at you personally BTW - but rather a expression of frustration at how this board seems to be going the way of other forums with it's immediate negativity. "Apes" , "Muppets", "Stealers" If these were meant in an endearing way it would be sorta acceptable - but the impression I get is that in some areas the terms are used with venom.

To steal from one of our more (in)famous members

Steve the dismayed

In anticipation of flame hell....

I broadly agree with you here Steve. There is definitely too much negativity around here at times and there seem to be a few members who seemingly contribute nothing but! :)

However, that said... I think parking wardens, along with with inland revenue tax inspectors, and council tax officials need to be reminded that they are merely vultures feeding off the carcass of society, and if they want a job where people are generally nice to them they should investigate different careers. ;)

Rose Chap said:
I think parking wardens, along with with inland revenue tax inspectors, and council tax officials need to be reminded that they are merely vultures feeding off the carcass of society, and if they want a job where people are generally nice to them they should investigate different careers. ;)

Broadly agree with you too. However...

I'd not do a job like that because I have skills that enable me to make a choice. But let's accept that some people do not neccesarily have what it takes to make a choice. Which leads to the £1M question:

Do I take care of my family by doing a job that I do not like but that brings in what I need or
Do I stay on benefits

Becomes a tough call then doesn't it?

Rose Chap said:
Now I'm confused (not difficult at this time of the day by all accounts).

The parking attendant wrote your number plate down incorrectly substituting a '1' for an 'I'?

1's are definitely allowed on UK plates, but I's are perhaps not. Do you have an 'I' on your plate or a '1'?

I think it's clear - he has an "I" on his plate which the attendant seems to have written as a "1" on the ticket. The plate is an Irish plate, Northern Ireland so still UK.

I'd be interested in seeing an image of the ticket, although Tim says it is clearly a "1" that has been written from the serif style of writing.:confused:

I think it could be a tricky one to argue without seeing the evidence tbh.

Tim - like others I don't like the derogatory reference to the person who issued the ticket - but nevertheless, if you are confident that it is a "1" then the ticket is incorrect and you could refuse to pay - but you would have to be so sure of your grounds on that one. Personally I wouldn't risk it - I'd just pay up. If it was the wrong date or car then it would be different - but arguinign if someone has written a 1 or an I - wouldn't like to risk that one.

Plus, an awful lot of them (in Richmond particularly) seem to take a perverse pleasure in being completely inflexible.... Thats the thing Steve, they seem to enjoy what they are doing .....

Perhaps it's a power trip , knowing they are hassling someone who makes more money than them or whatever , but there are situations where common sense should prevail, ok , people may have broken the law by parking there, but they need to look at the bigger picture. ...

If a 'proper' policeman is happy to give you a little warning for travelling at 90mph on the motorway , why can't the 'parking Nazis' of Richmond give a little leeway here and there....

I've no sympathy for them i'm afraid, they knew what they were getting into when they took the job. What do they expect ? people to say ' Oh , thank you for my ticket, let me give you a kiss ' ....

If they're stupid enough to write the wrong number down on a ticket, then you should sieze the opportunity to have one over on them ....

Howard said:
Plus, an awful lot of them (in Richmond particularly) seem to take a perverse pleasure in being completely inflexible....

Perhaps it's a power trip , ................I've no sympathy for them i'm afraid, they knew what they were getting into when they took the job. What do they expect ? people to say ' Oh , thank you for my ticket, let me give you a kiss ' ....

If they're stupid enough to write the wrong number down on a ticket, then you should sieze the opportunity to have one over on them ....

My job has entailed working directly with the public for a number of years. I used to pay benefits out of benefits offices etc and the abuse that the staff got then and still get now for simply doing the job is unbeleivable. There are always those that do go too far granted - I've come across a few in my time - but often the abuse is unprovoked and totally wrong.

If we didn't break the rules then we wouldn't need parking attendants etc. Yet we seem to think it's OK to abuse people simply doing their job. Tax inspectors don't make the rules!

Sorry this is going off topic but I get sick of hearing people whinge about the public sector. We are all people simply doing a job to earn a crust to put food on the table. I wish people would stop attacking others when in fact it's their own shortcomings that have got them in the position they are in.

And I reiterate I know there are those who are over zealous and need reminding what the job actually is and how humanity can go such a long way;) .

I remember a post I made recently praising Parcel Force. It was ripped to pieces as heaven forbid a positive message was given - no lets rip the organisations and their staff apart instead and be constantly negative - it's so much more productive and healthy after all.:mad:

Rant over!

I work for the government too Pammy ..... remember .....

I deal with the public every single day , and yet I don't seem to get any abuse or grief, because I treat them as human beings .... part of my remit involves the licensing of boats, speed enforcement , stuff like that .....

It all revolves around having common sense, which so many people nowadays don't seem to possess , they stick to their rule book by the letter....

We have a lock-keeper like that a few locks upriver, he has earned himself the nickname ' Clipboard ' because he's always on the lockside with his clipboard handing out tickets and stuff ... not for me thanks ....

No problems for me because I know when to give a warning or have a chat if you like .... which is why I am popular on the river and treated with courtesy by the public (to my face ;) )....

Gollom said:
....... "Apes" , "Muppets", "Stealers" If these were meant in an endearing way it would be sorta acceptable - but the impression I get is that in some areas the terms are used with venom.....

After the recent ‘dealer or stealer’ thread I fully see your point.

However I feel that most traffic wardens deserve most criticism directed at them. I have witnessed them deliberately block the passage of prams down the pavement, step backwards into the roadway in front of a cyclist (me!) and loiter in doorways, waiting to penalise someone before they buy their ticket.

So I have option of self-censoring my post, but do not feel the need.

pammy said:
If it was the wrong date or car then it would be different - but arguinign if someone has written a 1 or an I - wouldn't like to risk that one.

It was issued on a computerised ticket - so there is no doubt that it is a 1.

Howard, do the Richmond wardens routinely photograph cars? It would help them spot the error that they have made. If so I may pay up, because of the risks of not doing so.

At the moment I reckon a 70% chance of them not identifying me; to be weighed against a 30% chance that they do, and issue a demand for £80.

I shall put the 'savings' into the vandalism repair fund - new star and bonnet respray required.

Regards

Tim

tim.mcd said:
One of the local apes misread my registration...

Having read the first line of this post as above, I couldn't be bothered to give my professional viewpoint in this subject. I'm also heartened by some of the other comments (you know who you are) in "defence" of those who undertake this job and its enforcement activities.

Having read through now, and let my annoyance settle, there is a distinct option you can follow with this PCN, which will allow you to avoid paying. However, I'm curious - what was it issued for?

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom