parktonic bumpers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scruffy

Car
W209 CLK 320
anyone know the difference between a non pts bumper and one with pts i.e is it a completely different shape or is it just mounting hole differences.

Have been offered a bumper without pts and want to retro my kit into it.

thanks

s

Same bumper - just no holes, as far as I know. Some "regular" bumpers even have the template on the inside for drilling the holes.

S.

In newer cars it is the impact strips that have the parking sensors in I think, they are fairly easy to replace I imagine.

the 202 has a different part number for sport / elegance /with / without pts...

I cant see them making a completely new mould (tens of thousands of pounds) just to add / remove the pts mounting.

cant you see it / check it? If its an ebay item, ask for a photo of the inside of the bumper to see if the mounting doofers are there...

sorry, should've been clearer, its an amg rear bumper for a 209, I think its the same moulding for either a standard impact strip or pts strip but not 100% sure.

Can't be viewed without a few hours drive.

s

Ok, well there are 8 different rear bumpers, depending on options.

772 (AMG)
220 (Parktronic)
494 (California)
550 (towbar)

These are the items that LOOK like they might be the impact strips (see diagram):

30: A2098850521 : RAIL (L) : EUR 17.92
30: A2098850621 : RAIL (R) : EUR 17.92

40: A2098850021 : RAIL (C) : EUR 17.92

I have no idea what they are though! Each is listed as "GARNISH MOULDING". They have no options listed against them, so I suppose if you DO have PTS they might have to modify the impact strips if they are replaced.

Might have to call a stealership parts dept, I guess they're the experts in the end!

Here is the diagram anyway:

Attachments

• w209rearbumper.jpg
    w209rearbumper.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 126
cheers for the info, think the strips are a chrome detail and the prices would also suggest something like that. I'm looking at the thicker wrap round section 2/3 up from the bottom, the dealers weren't much help so will looks like a trip over the hills to check it out properly.

thanks a lot

s

scruffy said:
cheers for the info, think the strips are a chrome detail and the prices would also suggest something like that. I'm looking at the thicker wrap round section 2/3 up from the bottom, the dealers weren't much help so will looks like a trip over the hills to check it out properly.
I know which parts you're after, but I just don't see them in the catalogue. The W209 is only available in Elegance and Avantgarde, so whichever model you get the chrome parts are already on it, right? I don't understand why anyone would need to order the chrome separately. Whatever you find out please let us all know :)

my car is the avantgarde and has the chrome 'garnish' strips fitted to the wrap round, not sure about the elegance. The strip seems purely decorative and assume you would only need to re-order if you damaged one.

Steve mbenznl sells front bumper inserts (the wide moulding) as he calls them on his site for a 203 so naturally assumed they are available for a 209 and would be removable, however having had a good squint at my car it looks like the strip is moulded into the bumper which may explain why a) theres so many different bumpers and b) you couldn't see the parts as they're not available.
The holes for the PTS sensors are recessed so its not as simple as drilling a few holes to fit the sensors in so it might be a dead duck.

Will post any more info as I get it, might be jammy and bumper is a PTS one.

cheers

s

scruffy said:
however having had a good squint at my car it looks like the strip is moulded into the bumper which may explain why a) theres so many different bumpers and b) you couldn't see the parts as they're not available.
The holes for the PTS sensors are recessed so its not as simple as drilling a few holes to fit the sensors in so it might be a dead duck.
There are 17 different front bumpers! The options are the same, minus the towbar but plus headlamp wash and some other code I couldn't work out, it sits among the other codes for the deletion of badges :confused: .

It makes me mad that they have impact-strips that are literally just moulded into the bumper, makes them pointless! Some of the R170 SLK bumpers are the same! If someone scrapes your car in the carpark you can't just swap the plastic moulding you have to get the whole bumper done! :mad:
scruffy said:
Will post any more info as I get it, might be jammy and bumper is a PTS one.
Cheers! Good luck with that! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom