Parktronic confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercv8

Can someone advise please.

My wife a 2006 A class Turbo (cracking little car), but i noticed when parktronic is active, is sometime skips a a couple of amber coloured bars and goes into red.

So for example <><><><><><> two blank lights in the middle do not illuminate sometimes. They are not blown as sometime they will show up.

Whats the steal?

I take it any faults with the system will be under warranty? Which i have till 2010 september.

Cheers.

Warranty will cover it.

Could be a faulty sensor or even PTS module - just take it to MB.

Warranty will cover it.

Could be a faulty sensor or even PTS module - just take it to MB.

The reason I said driver or display was that if it was a sensor it would only happen once 1 in 6 times when that sensor was active in picking up an object, and sensors cant really behave like that

The reason I said driver or display was that if it was a sensor it would only happen once 1 in 6 times when that sensor was active in picking up an object, and sensors cant really behave like that

You know far more than me anyway. :)

Ok lads cheers.

Shall i get the stealers to do it while they do a service on my car or have them do it on a seperate occasion?

Cos i want them to check the central locking aswell as sometimes it doesnt want to lock when you drive off. Its sometimes locks and unlocks rapidly.

But i was wondering if they might skimp on servicing the car if i had them try and do it all in one go?

Wot you boys reckon?

Faulty sensors will show as red (well on mine it did!)

I can't think of any reason why they should skimp the service at all. Easier to do in one go for you?

I personally would get all the warranty work done first ASAP and then the service when it is due.

From experience the bigger the scope of the work is the more likely mistakes get made and things go wrong and get forgotten - especially if an apprentice is working on the car...:rolleyes: :D

As an aside, I find there's a significant lag in Parktronic (compared to the VW and Honda systems I've had before). You need to reverse pretty slowly so it can keep up.

Although I'm a fan of OEM which is why I specced it on my Vito, I personally think a simple audio system (where the frequency of beeps increases the closer you get, then goes continuous at x cm) is the best. I prefer to be looking at the view in the mirror rather than watching LEDs.

If the sensor plays up it goes to red/alarm straight away, as if you were up against a wall. So it is definitely the display that is faulty, and a warranty job.

Moved to electronics section.

Last edited:
As an aside, I find there's a significant lag in Parktronic (compared to the VW and Honda systems I've had before). You need to reverse pretty slowly so it can keep up.

Although I'm a fan of OEM which is why I specced it on my Vito, I personally think a simple audio system (where the frequency of beeps increases the closer you get, then goes continuous at x cm) is the best. I prefer to be looking at the view in the mirror rather than watching LEDs.

The PTS on my cars is OEM/factory fitted and is fantatsic and I cannot fault it.

Is there any way to test a faulty sensor?

I suspect one or mine has went faulty, problem is without Star how do i find out what one it is?

Is there any way to test a faulty sensor?

I suspect one or mine has went faulty, problem is without Star how do i find out what one it is?

You could do a simple test with an Ω meter, but not easy to get an accurate answer, but a go or no go should be easy to detect by comparing with another one.

You should expect to get the same reading from them all, the snag is that one short turn will not show up when you have several hudred turns of wire.

These things run in the 21khz -22khz band

Look for one open circuit or closed circuit.

You can test them by using a stick with a board on the end, that you can hold on each sensor in turn

Tip: Sensors on W203s,W211s,W220s etc. are very easy to pinch! ;) :devil:

Tip: Sensors on W203s,W211s,W220s etc. are very easy to pinch! ;) :devil:

Imagine coming out to your car and someone was off with one of your sensors!

I was going to lead onto how you remove them, surely the trim requires to come off?

Trim piece easily clips off and then it will only take a few more seconds to complete the job - I would say "Gone in 30 Seconds" :)

Disclaimer: Do not try this on anyone elses car apart from your own! :devil: :D

Trim piece easily clips off and then it will only take a few more seconds to complete the job - I would say "Gone in 30 Seconds" :)

Disclaimer: Do not try this on anyone elses car apart from your own! :devil: :D

Time to start trawling ASDA car parks! :D Only joking!

Thanks Flash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom