PARKTRONIC false positives (E-class 2012)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robaa

Car
E220CDI (S212)
Newbie alert! :)

My 2012 (212) E-class has a problem with the PARKTRONIC, the front end (usually just the driver's side, sometimes both sides) gives false positives. It started out as an intermittent problem, mainly in wet weather, but has gradually got worse and is now pretty much constant, so much so that I have to switch the system off almost every time I drive.

My local MB dealer as well as an indy both quoted me about £150 just to diagnose the problem, apparently figuring out which of the sensors is faulty (if any, or if all, or if it's something else) is time consuming and generally a hassle. Although the dealer did say that if I then get it repaired there, they'll credit me half the cost of the diagnosis, so I guess that's not too bad.

Anyway, before I start shelling out my hard-earned money I thought I'd ask if anyone has any words of wisdom to share? I realise it's difficult to remote-diagnose over the internet, but any thoughts on what it could be, eg. is there a known issue with this model? All pointers welcome, thanks in advance!

Check sensor faces for stone chips.

Should only take 30min using STAR to diagnose the system and report on which sensor is causing errors, possible there's a connection issue but still should point in the right direction.

Whereabouts are you located?

Thanks. The sensors look okay superficially at least, I've also wiped them clean but to no avail.

I guess 30 min on STAR is the £150 they're talking about...? ;)

I'm in Oxfordshire.

robaa- I had exactly the problem you described on my 2012 Mercedes E200 for about 30 minutes yesterday. It then went back to normal. I noticed when it was happening that the car was within the correct slow speed range but the blue P parktronics light on the speedometer display did not come on. When back to working normally it did come on. I sort of interpreted this that it was some sort of computer software error. I'll keep an eye out to see if it happens again. How did you solve the problem as a matter of interest?

I can't fathom out how the parktronic sytem works ....is there a REAL idiot's guide that someone can direct me to please?

Can't always fully trust the parktronic - especially when some car parks try to catch you out.

This car park had a concrete protrusion at the level of the top of the boot lid, the parktronic was monitoring the lower half and I reversed quite close to the concrete protrusion.

Luckily I did not pay too much attention to the parktronic.

attachment.php

Attachments

• carpark.jpg
    carpark.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 85
Get yourself an Icarsoft i980 and diagnose it yourself. Mine goes into all the modules, even measures distance on individual sensors. They're around £90, IMO money very well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom