Parktronic fault (not sensor) FIXED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davycc

Car
2001 W203 C320 Elegance
Like a few others I was getting an error warning from my drivers side front parktronic system (really annoying) would go off as soon as I reduced speed enough to engage it,guaranteed to happen within a few hundred yards . It would happen in dry or wet conditions so today I decided to jump in and try to fix it. I removed the bumper trim housing the sensors good link here

Mercedes-Benz W203 Exterior Molding Replacement - (2001-2007) C230, C280, C350, C240, C320 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

I cleaned all 3 sensors and replaced them and refitted the trim, no joy.

Next I swapped the passenger side sensors one by one to find the faulty one if possible. After swapping all three the fault was still the same on the drivers side.

Assuming (dangerous I know) that it wasn't a sensor I had nosey around and saw rubbing marks on the metal bodywork behind the sensor housings where the loom had been rubbing. There's not a lot of play to check the loom but 2 of them were "flattened" slightly so I taped up the loom and taped over the metal bodywork as well, I would have used heat shrink but the sensor plugs prevented slipping the heat shrink over the loom.

Just back in from driving and stopping, slowing down etc and all is good in the world again.

I've attached a pics of the offenders.

Maybe worth checking out if you have the same issue before buying replacement sensors.

Davy

Attachments

• short.jpg
    short.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 118
  • 2017-04-23-PHOTO-00001458.jpg
    2017-04-23-PHOTO-00001458.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Good find, bet there's a lot out there like this or heading that way.

Back again

Well I started getting false readouts again on the nearside front parktronic sensor. I had her put on STAR and it showed the outer sensor as faulty (all others sitting at a steady 255 but the outer dropping out)

I came home and swapped the sensor with 3 different ones and still the same problem so I'm guessing shorting on the loom or the module failing.

Can anyone direct me to the location of the module please as I'm thinking if I can re route new wires and splice into the loom near the module as that may rule out a short somewhere.

Any other ideas really welcome.

PS frustrating thing is that even when it goes off in error as soon as I approach an object it drops straight down to one orange bar then works perfectly.

Ok

So it's got to the point I pulled the fuse for the Parktronic as it was doing my nut in. STAR pointed out the off side front sensor as faulty (replaced it no joy)

Can anyone tell me if the parktronic module in a 2001 S500 is the same as a 2001 C320 ?

When you say you replaced the sensor, was this with a genuine MB one? The reason I ask is I encountered the same problem and it turned out the sensor was the wrong one.

Sorry I meant to ask what is the MB part no for your sensors? I have a couple here which might (stress might) do.

Sorry I meant to ask what is the MB part no for your sensors? I have a couple here which might (stress might) do.

Hi thanks for the reply. I swapped the faulty sensor with each of the 3 nearside ones and always got the same fault (offside) all the nearside worked ok each time.

I'm thinking either the module or a break / short in the wiring is the issue. I can get access to a 2001 S500 module if I need it to rule that out firs befor tackling the wiring.

Finally found it

Well I finally tracked the module down.

For future ref in case anyone having parking sensor issues (quite common) the module is located behind the foot well on the passenger side.

Pull back the carpet and you'll see foam sound insulation, slip it out of the holding clips on the bottm and you'll see a metal plate.

There are 3 plastic nuts, one top left and 2 on the bottom, remove these and the panel can be lifted out.

Typical I find it on a Sunday evening, too late to start anything.

Finally found it

Well I finally tracked the module down.

For future ref in case anyone having parking sensor issues (quite common) the module is located behind the foot well on the passenger side.

Pull back the carpet and you'll see foam sound insulation, slip it out of the holding clips on the bottm and you'll see a metal plate.

There are 3 plastic nuts, one top left and 2 on the bottom, remove these and the panel can be lifted out.

Typical I find it on a Sunday evening, too late to start anything.
What exactly did you mean by behind the footwell, I have a problem too with Parktronic I just get an initial beep and just the 4 red leds on.

Ok I have fixed my problem. I listened to the sensors which normally tick, one did not tick. I swapped it
with another in a different position and the same sensor continued to not tick. Bought a new
one, fitted it and Bob's your uncle, all singing and beeping again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom