Parktronic Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wistles

Car
2012 C63 Estate
Hello all,

Nice forum here,I have recently come back to Mercedes having purchased a 2012 C63 estate. I was wondering if anyone can help me understand how the Parktronic works?

I don’t need to use it but would like to try it once! I get the “P” come up on the dash but don’t know what to do next? Does it do the steering also?

I looked in the manual but there is nothing there relating to it. I took it rushed on the day from the dealer so they weren’t able to perform a proper handover.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Hello and welcome to you. Not very good with links, however, I just typed " Mercedes parktronic " into Google. There are several tutorial videos available. Hope this helps.:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

The manual is pretty poor to be fair!

The "P" pops up when it's looking for a space (when you're travelling slowly). It 'looks' by measuring the distance between two parked cars (it only appears to work when there's a single parking bay free, if there's two adjacent ones it doesn't seem to work).

One it finds a suitable space (it can be hit and miss) you'll get a white arrow next to the 'P' pointing in the direction of the space. If you want to park in that space, stop the car, select reverse and on your dash display it will ask if you want to use the Active Park Assist function. Select 'OK', and start reversing. The car will steer for you. Note you'll have to manage the gears (selecting drive and reverse as directed), and also keep an eye on your speed and braking, but it works quite well.

It's certainly slower than parking yourself, but it does do a good job, and is quite nice to show off!

Hope that helps!

When you're stationary and the 'P' symbol appears, don't you select reverse then Parktronic activates?

Hello all,

Nice forum here,I have recently come back to Mercedes having purchased a 2012 C63 estate. I was wondering if anyone can help me understand how the Parktronic works?

I don’t need to use it but would like to try it once! I get the “P” come up on the dash but don’t know what to do next? Does it do the steering also?

I looked in the manual but there is nothing there relating to it. I took it rushed on the day from the dealer so they weren’t able to perform a proper handover.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Welcome.:D

Might be an idea to ask the dealer if you can drop in and have a proper demonstration? that way you can ask questions and take notes, in the meantime here is the link that I think Woody was referring to:Mercedes-Benz PARKTRONIC - Active Parking Assist Tutorial Video - YouTube

I'd recommend having a cruise around a car park, looking for the white arrow to show up for pendicular parking and getting a feel for where the car wants you to place it so that it has a shot of getting into a space. Do the same for parallel parking. If a space is on the driver's side, you need to put the right indicator on to tell it you are looking on that side.

Once you've had a practice finding spaces, it's time to dip you bread, push the OK button and let it park. You might feel a trifle uncomfortable with parallel parking because it seems to take a rather unusual line with more wheel twirling than I would normally need but it all works fine in the end.

Annoyingly, it parks about six inches from the kerb, which after 30-odd years of doing the job myself I would consider a bit sloppy, but there you have it. No scuffed alloys. I'm sure the next version will be better and will also watch out for parking next to white vans and 4x4's with those ridiculous chunky tyres plus any car that has been parked by someone wearing a hat. It won't completely eliminate car park rash, but that would be a very good start.

Overall, I've used it maybe half a dozen times and never found a suitable perpendicular space with it, but it would happily have a go at a space so narrow I doubt I'd be able to open the door and wriggle out. My wife is scared stiff and won't entertain using it, so if it wasn't "free" standard equipment I'd never have specced it.

Thanks a lot all, can't watch the youtube asI am at work.

Will give it a go later. Loving the C63 though!

John, I am assuming that your Commanding Officer does not read your posts here?:D

Ah, there is obviously a fault with the forum, it missed half of my post, the half that said " or so I have been told ":)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

I must be doing something wrong as when I go to use this the and select Reverse. the Blue "P" promptly disappears and I'm left blocking the road like a 6 month novice and here's me in my 47 th year of driving.... so what's the secret..?

Approach to Parallel Park Small white arrow appears on side chosen to park L.or R indicator on... Select reverse... P disappears!

I have done it once and had it demo'ed by a 'young slip of a girl' at the main dealers but memory is suffering these days and I can't recall how I ( or She) did it! Advice please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom