Parktronic vs Taurus Plastic Bumper Reversing Aid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swl

My husband took delivery of his new W203 C180 saloon last Sat. He has never owned a Benz until now. For the past few years, he has driven a Nissan Primera hatchback. He's found parking the Benz a difficult chore. To quote his words "I can't see the back properly". I have looked at past threads and wondered if I can have some comments/feedback on the usefulness of the above aids ie. is it worth spending so much money (Parktronic) on an entry level car. Or is it a matter of practice makes perfect .

Regards,
swl

PS. I hope you don't mind me posting the question on behalf of my husband. His English is not very good. (English is not our first language)

For a C class it should just be a matter of getting used to it as its not a huge car, but there are plenty of parking aids out there which are quite inexpensive.

I have parktronic and it is very good, I'm so pleased I got it but its not cheap. I've heard very good reviews about the Quanan system which you can buy with either flush sensors which require drilling the bumper or 'stick on' sensors.

For more information see http://home.freeuk.com/cleargate/index.htm

Another option are the microwave type which are completely hidden behind the bumper but the problems with those is you have to be close to the object before they are picked up.

Last edited:
Firstly welcome and it doesn't matter if your Benz is an entry level model as at the end of the day you have a Benz and should be proud as I'm sure you are to drive such a quality marque.

I have a 202 model C Class, and I find it difficult to reverse too. I more than often open the door and look out so I don't leave too much space behind me, or as my wife says " Is this space for 2 cars"??
I was thinking of the parking sensors but have not really looked into it much. I think they are a very good idea, I've been in many BMW's that have had them fitted and although the beeping can get a bit annoying, they are generally very helpful.
I do think as Richard says it is a matter of practice makes perfect, but the sensors will make it allot easier...

Good Luck

Will you accept advice on parking from a lowly "H" reg owner, lol.
When you park on a main street near shops, try to use the reflection from the windows to see the gap behind you.
Works for me, lol

Hi Richard

I couldnt get the link to work ???:confused:

Don't know why the links in my post weren't working sorry! I know of at least 5 people that have installed them and been very happy.

My husband had gone to the dealership to collect the alloy pedals. Since he was there, he thought he will ask about the price for parktronic. The parts guy said (I think) £250 for the part and £500 for labour + you need to leave the car here for a few days. He then added "Don't buy it. It's too expensive. (I agree!) Just put your mistress in the car boot. When you need to reverse park, just ask her to watch the space. It's cheaper. (Hum..Not too sure about the expense and the suggestion!!)

Regards,
swl

Ive never really had a problem parking my C classes . If you think the c class is bad to park in a tight space , try an E class estate !!

swl,

hehe, I'd say that keeping a mistress is probably more expensive than gettting the Parktronic. IT's good to see that some MB employees still have their sense of humour intact.

As for reverse parking... alot of the recent MB's have a design where the sides of the car 'sweep inwards' towards the back of the car that makes judging exactly where the car ends a bit tricky. I suffer with this on my W202, I had it on my previous W201 (190E) and my dad has mentioned this aspect too in relation to his car, W124.

I think as your husband gets used to the car and drives it more, he'll find it easier and get more confident with his reverse parking. I also find I tend to over-estimate the length of a car, which is actually a good thing :D so hopefully there shouldn't be any prangs.

S.

Talk about over estimating I always find my nose is sticking out or I am divorced from the curb (you know avoiding scuffing them on kerbs).
Sad but true.
Cheers
Ian

Thank the lord my long wheelbase S class has parktronic.
Its impossible to judge without and so so easy with.

Originally posted by swl
My husband took delivery of his new W203 C180 saloon last Sat. He has never owned a Benz until now. For the past few years, he has driven a Nissan Primera hatchback. He's found parking the Benz a difficult chore. To quote his words "I can't see the back properly". I have looked at past threads and wondered if I can have some comments/feedback on the usefulness of the above aids ie. is it worth spending so much money (Parktronic) on an entry level car. Or is it a matter of practice makes perfect .

Regards,
swl

PS. I hope you don't mind me posting the question on behalf of my husband. His English is not very good. (English is not our first language)

Off topic I know, but ironically enough, the new Primera was being road tested on 5th Gear recently and it has a cool little camera mounted above the rear number plate linked to the screen mounted in the dash so you can park with ease!

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a good fitter in the Hampshire area that would be able to fit a 'Quanan Recess' parking device unit on my ML ?

I'm thinking about purchasing the unit with 3 sensors and just the beeping unit rather than the distance LCD unit that fits on the dashboard. Does anyone know if the beeping unit was fitted into the boot area would it be load enough to be heard from the front with music on ?

Thank you

Steve

They are apparently pretty easy to fit, I don't know how loud they are but I've seen people mount the display in some pretty neat places. You could always turn the music down when parking!

Thanx Sp!ke - Have you had any experience with these guys ?
The PP2 looks a good bet, no drilling into rear bumper etc.

Cheers

Steve

Nope 'fraid not but they have been around some time I believe.

Did you check the other stuff on the site?

Don't laugh but there is another way.

Cost £1.50
lens.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom