Parktronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mizzat

Car
Mercedes S320
Advice needed please.

On a visit to my MB dealership (MB of Prseton), I enquired about the feasibility of retro fitting "parktronic" on my W220 (1999). To my dismay, I'm told it could be done but it is a very difficult job and is likely to cost "thousands". Those were the service managers's exact words. Is he wright?

Steve

Originally posted by mizzat
Advice needed please.

On a visit to my MB dealership (MB of Prseton), I enquired about the feasibility of retro fitting "parktronic" on my W220 (1999). To my dismay, I'm told it could be done but it is a very difficult job and is likely to cost "thousands". Those were the service managers's exact words. Is he wright?

Steve

Probably not. Probably talking tosh like most people at dealerships.

I fitted MB 'quickpark' to my CLK cabriolet - this is the rear only system. It was easy to fit, the only frightening bit is cutting holes in your bumper and rear trim panel. The system works perfectly and is excellent for cars like mine with very limited rear visibility. The system cost (from stealer) about £250 (I think) - it's so good that I have even considered buying a second system for the front bumper.

Paul G

hey paul.. what's MB quickpark... and how does it differ from Parktronic ? MB= Mercedes Benz OEM - right ?

If you look in an MB accessories booklet (at least, it's in the 'old' CLK accessories booklet) you will find 'quickpark'. It's a retrofit system made by MB (OEM by Bosch actually) that would fit any sort of car. It comprises four sensors, a template, various adaptors for different bumper shapes, a wiring loom, and an indicator panel. The indicator panel is designed to mount in the rear nearside door trim - I couldn't at first work out why it was designed to mount there but I now realise that when you are reversing with your head 'screwed round' you can see the indicator clearly.
The indicator unit has a circle of LED's, starting green, then orange, then red. As you reverse and get nearer to an object, more lights come on and the thing starts bleeping. The closer you get, the faster the bleeps until at about 10" away all of the lights are on and the thing gives a continuous tone. Hey presto.

Now that I have got it, I can't imagine not having it. My rear window is tiny, rear visibility is hopeless. I don't even have to look now (not much anyway).

Buy it. You know you want it......

Paul G

PS, the stealer said it could only be retrofitted by themselves. What planet are they on?

Cheers Paul - good info. I will investigate further! Don't suppose you have got any pics ?

Do the sensors look OK - do you know if its possible to have them painted in body colour ?

I painted mine myself (very easy - the exposed faces of the sensors are only about 17mm diameter) - I will take some pics but someone will have to provide an e-mail address for me to send them to for posting.
I think the sensors look fine - the mounting bezels are supplied in black which matched my bumber colour. If your bumper is a different colour then it may be best to paint the bezels also.
If you are interested I will also take a photo of the internal display unit.

Paul G

Paul

yes - pics please ! inside & out.

Have PM'd you my mail address, so send to me and I will post them.

Thanks.

Got some info in the post about an aftermarket version today suitable for any car, will find out more.

There was a same discussion a while ago. There are many after market products available and I've heard very good reviews of the Quanan system. You can also get microwave type which don't require drilling of the bumper but you have to be very close to an object for it to be picked up.

Originally posted by Paul Grainger
If you look in an MB accessories booklet (at least, it's in the 'old' CLK accessories booklet) you will find 'quickpark'. It's a retrofit system made by MB (OEM by Bosch actually) that would fit any sort of car.
the B6* part number would be appreciated please :)

Originally posted by Paul Grainger
The indicator unit has a circle of LED's, starting green, then orange, then red. As you reverse and get nearer to an object, more lights come on and the thing starts bleeping. The closer you get, the faster the bleeps until at about 10" away all of the lights are on and the thing gives a continuous tone. Hey presto.

Was getting interested for a while there. Do you really mean 10 inches?

It's something than can acuratley guide me from about 10 inches down to 1/2 and inch that would be usefull, otherewise it's a bit of a Grandad aid no?

I'm pretty sure most systems will guide you closer than 10" Graham - agree it would need to be more accurate than that to be useful for me.

My Parktronic gives a continues beep and red lights at about 6 inches. At first I thought this wasn't very accurate but I've got used to it. I now know I can reverse until it says stop and then think about stopping!

Originally posted by RichardM
My Parktronic gives a continues beep and red lights at about 6 inches. At first I thought this wasn't very accurate but I've got used to it. I now know I can reverse until it says stop and then think about stopping!

Look out for overhangs and bushes as Parktronic won't pick them up. Normal commonsense then applies.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have been very carefull but so far it has picked up everything. It seems very sensitive to bushes etc, and when I'm pulling up to a curb head on that always seems to set it off even though its a low curb.

Originally posted by RichardM
I have been very carefull but so far it has picked up everything. It seems very sensitive to bushes etc, and when I'm pulling up to a curb head on that always seems to set it off even though its a low curb.

I was in a new Mondeo Estate the other month with Parktronic and the driver was showing off the system. He backed up to a wall, and stopped when the bleeper told him to. Unfortunately the wall had a bush growing over it and the top of the rear hatch was well into the bush. Also as we had to empty the boot he had to pull forward anyway.:D :D

For continuity and predictability, I give you my usual offering. The £2.50 option.
lens.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom