Parrot and my N95

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadie

Hi all, i've recently had a Parrot MKi9100 connected to my N95 installed which connects fine and makes and receives calls ok but... the problem i'm getting is that only 50% of my phone contacts load up. My N95 is on the latest firmware version, as is the Parrot and all contacts are on Sim card but still no joy. I've tried wiping, refreshing I also the Nokia contacts downloader software running in the back ground but still no joy. The shop that installed it are shrugging their shoulders which is now starting to annoy me after i've just spent a fair ammount of money and other equipment. Apparantly Parrot don't take phone calls and will only reply to emails but so far they've not responded after several days.
Any suggestions?

Yep, bin it and buy a Bury cc9060 see this thread.

www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62362&highlight=bury+9060

The new Parrot i9000 series have serious software glitches still, including the one you describe Parrot are hopeless at customer service and do not respond. It only takes a symbol that the Parrot does not recognise when loading up the contacts and it stops it dead and loads nothing after that. You need to organise your contacts exactly the same for each one, a mammoth task on its own but its the only way you'll get them accross.

Oh great that's annoying, thanks for the response though Flanaia1. Now i'm going to have the uphill battle with the installer trying to persuade them to remove and refund.

Anybody know how I stand legally with this problem?

Oh great that's annoying, thanks for the response though Flanaia1. Now i'm going to have the uphill battle with the installer trying to persuade them to remove and refund.

If you can prove the unit is not fit for purpose then you should be able to get a full refund. Not sure legally if proof would need a manufacturers statement or if it could be the opinion of users. If you google Parrot and look at some of the AV forums you'll read some real horror stories. I have had 2 parrot units a CK3000 which was hopeless and then a 3200 which they gave as recompese for the first faulty unit, this was hopeless too. Just got my new car and it will be a Bury 9060 for me, would appear they are not toally problem free and have some minor niggles but I think that is down to handset compatibility more than anything.

It's also worth noting that Nokia don't use the true bluetooth protocol its their own version on a theme, this sometimes causes compatibility problems on its own as connection with true bluetooth devices lacks some of the advanced features.

Hope someone can advise on the legal position and you get it sorted.

With the Bury you will have to download an applet for the N95, easy to do from the bury website. Otherwise it will no work properly, but it is definatelythe one to go for!

I think you may be disappointed to find that the problem is most likely the Nokia N95.
I have had no end of problems with getting mine to pair with my car kit and I now have to manually pair it every time I get in the car!
If you search the web there seem to be endless threads on various forums complaining about issues with the N95's bluetooth compatibility.

I think you may be disappointed to find that the problem is most likely the Nokia N95.
I have had no end of problems with getting mine to pair with my car kit and I now have to manually pair it every time I get in the car!
If you search the web there seem to be endless threads on various forums complaining about issues with the N95's bluetooth compatibility.

I believe the N95 compatibility is about the phone book download issue. You really have to have something wrong on your phone, some crippled operator branded SW or just old SW (I think you mentioned previously that the SW is up-to-date). I have only tested my son's N95 and had no problems with automatic connection.

Some may complain that the phone does not connect to Comand but no phone is supposed to connect to Comand (UHI BT) in HF mode.

Have you visited some service point with your phone? Does it auto-connect to your laptop or any other device? I guess the issue is not at the car, I believe you did test it with another phone.

I have tried other phones and they all connect automatically with no problems at all.
The N95 is the only Nokia unit that I have tried.
I read somewhere that not all bluetooth units are compatible with each other which makes a bit of a mockery of the whole idea.

It's also worth noting that Nokia don't use the true bluetooth protocol its their own version on a theme, this sometimes causes compatibility problems on its own as connection with true bluetooth devices lacks some of the advanced features.quote]

As posted earlier Nokia are well known for Bluetooth conflicts

It's also worth noting that Nokia don't use the true bluetooth protocol its their own version on a theme, this sometimes causes compatibility problems on its own as connection with true bluetooth devices lacks some of the advanced features.quote]

As posted earlier Nokia are well known for Bluetooth conflicts

This is not right at all. They are part of the BTSIG group and certainly following the open standards.

You must be confused with the fact that some of the Nokia products do not support all of the necessary BT profiles. Like for phonebook download several options exist. I don't know the details but it appears that some products have discontinued AT-level support for phone book download and replaced that with a more modern, specific BT profile (I don't remember the name). Unfortunately the older MB BT implementations do not support this new BT protocol (I understand NTG4 and later would do).

Note that there are no standards on which profiles should be supported.

Things may look like you interpret but this is not the case, although it does not help a lot why things work like they do if some functionality is missing.

This is not right at all. They are part of the BTSIG group and certainly following the open standards.

You must be confused with the fact that some of the Nokia products do not support all of the necessary BT profiles. Like for phonebook download several options exist. I don't know the details but it appears that some products have discontinued AT-level support for phone book download and replaced that with a more modern, specific BT profile (I don't remember the name). Unfortunately the older MB BT implementations do not support this new BT protocol (I understand NTG4 and later would do).

Note that there are no standards on which profiles should be supported.

Things may look like you interpret but this is not the case, although it does not help a lot why things work like they do if some functionality is missing.

I have just spoken to one of the UK Marketing Managers for Nokia who confirms that some Nokia products do not use the trademarked Bluetooth protocol it is Nokias own version of bluetooth, that is why you will never see the trademarked Bluetooth Logo on these products and how you can tell they are not true bluetooth.

This dates back to the battle between Nokia & Ericcson when they were developing Bluetooth a battle which Ericcson won, however not to be defeated Nokia carried on with their own version of bluetooth which still exists in some of their products today, It's a bit like the Betamax VHS battle and HDDVD Vs Blu Ray

If you look at some of the telecoms forums its well documented and the system differences explained, if you want a good reliable bluetooth connection then its a Sony Ericcson, Nokia are hopeless

Last edited:
My N95 Works fantastically on the Bury Car kit, Bury addressed the problem with the applet, they oviously care about their customers!

I have just spoken to one of the UK Marketing Managers for Nokia who confirms that some Nokia products do not use the trademarked Bluetooth protocol it is Nokias own version of bluetooth, that is why you will never see the trademarked Bluetooth Logo on these products and how you can tell they are not true bluetooth.

This dates back to the battle between Nokia & Ericcson when they were developing Bluetooth a battle which Ericcson won, however not to be defeated Nokia carried on with their own version of bluetooth which still exists in some of their products today, It's a bit like the Betamax VHS battle and HDDVD Vs Blu Ray

If you look at some of the telecoms forums its well documented and the system differences explained, if you want a good reliable bluetooth connection then its a Sony Ericcson, Nokia are hopeless

Can you give me a name (PM if you wish) and I'll talk to my friends and ask them to fire this guy. You don't have to be more than an ordinary engineer to figure out the marketing bull****. Odd as companies usually do not use effort for negative marketing for their products like this.

Also talking about connectivity issues, I'm not claiming Nokia would be any better than average but if you follow this forum, you find posts about Sony-Ericsson products loosing the BT connection. I find it a lot worse if you get disconnected than a missing phone-book download feature (although I don't consider issues with phone-book acceptable either).

Do you actually have a N95 when you don't want to bring it to service while you do spend time talking with their marketing managers? :confused:

Since you do not seem to be interested taking care of your phone and this discussions is turning political and not MB related, I'll stop posting on this issue now.

This shows that Bury care about thier customers but Nokia couldn't give a rats...

Unfortunately this is typical for big companies, they want the car kits being adapted to their selection of features (this is possible) while smaller companies have to adapt their products to what bigger ones have made.

ViseeO seems like a similar example, you can see how they solved issues Apple brought to their iPhones (while MB has not been able to adapt similarly at all).

My N95 Works fantastically on the Bury Car kit, Bury addressed the problem with the applet, they oviously care about their customers!

Can you explain how this applet works. Is it limited to Bury only? One could have expected MB to provide a similar applet once a smartphone is this flexible but of course we would accept one equally from Nokia, what about some open source project?

I dont know if it would work with other applications, in fact I dont know how it works at all!
When I looked on the Bury website it told me that the N95 needed the applet to work with the Bury kit. So I downloaded it and installed it.
It cant do any harm installing in on the N95 anyway and trying it with the MB kit. Although I would assume it is a Bury fix not a general one.

Can you give me a name (PM if you wish) and I'll talk to my friends and ask them to fire this guy. You don't have to be more than an ordinary engineer to figure out the marketing bull****. Odd as companies usually do not use effort for negative marketing for their products like this.

Also talking about connectivity issues, I'm not claiming Nokia would be any better than average but if you follow this forum, you find posts about Sony-Ericsson products loosing the BT connection. I find it a lot worse if you get disconnected than a missing phone-book download feature (although I don't consider issues with phone-book acceptable either).

Do you actually have a N95 when you don't want to bring it to service while you do spend time talking with their marketing managers? :confused:

Since you do not seem to be interested taking care of your phone and this discussions is turning political and not MB related, I'll stop posting on this issue now.

A little confused by your post but I assure you there is no political side to mine, The guy I know gave me an honest Industry opinion which I already knew he just confirmed it. They obviously don't promote the fact they are not true bluetooth as that would be commercial suicide.

I would not have a Nokia phone if my life depended on it they are complete rubbish and got left well behind in the technology development the only reason I talk to one of their marketing managers is he is a friend of mine.

All I am saying as pointed out by others is Parrott Kits and Nokias do not work well together that is a fact. Why not is a matter of personal opinion but mine is the Parrot still has software glitches and the Nokia BT is C**P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom