part ex options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuart O

Car
C 250cdi est.
Looking to sell on my 05 ML 270 - nothing wrong with it I just fancy a nice comfy E 220/280/320 diesel estate.

I have been following John Weirs site local to me in Inverness and noticed a recent clearout of 1/2 yr old stock - either they've traded or moved around to their other sites..

Heard a lot about prices dropping / great deals to be had in the south, prices up here appear tio be more expensive - would it be worth travelling and are there PCP deals to be had on a 1 /2 year old cars in your experience ??

Heard a lot about prices dropping / great deals to be had in the south, prices up here appear tio be more expensive - would it be worth travelling and are there PCP deals to be had on a 1 /2 year old cars in your experience ??

Yes. There are some good PCP deals, if thats how you wish to finance your car, on the W211 diesels.

Given your location, I'd advise you look on the MB website and conduct a national search and find a car you like, then travel to get it. I never get why folk will only buy a car if its local to them, when the right car may only be 6hrs a way, for the "right car" travelling is worth the effort.

Tough when your local dealer is the furthest Northerly outpost of MB in the UK. Still if you found another car you were really interested in buying in one of the other J R Weir outlets further South they might arrange a viewing/demo at their Inverness branch. Most dealers are desperate to move stock so maybe worth asking. You might want to establish whether they would take back your ML in part exchange altho if there's a geographical market for 4x4s in the present climate I would think the Highlands would be it.;)

just as a warning so you are not shocked when you get prices.. expect around £2K to be knocked off the trade price due to the colour of your ML...

Looking to sell on my 05 ML 270 - nothing wrong with it I just fancy a nice comfy E 220/280/320 diesel estate.

I have been following John Weirs site local to me in Inverness and noticed a recent clearout of 1/2 yr old stock - either they've traded or moved around to their other sites..

I was down at MB Giffnock yesterday.....i had a coffe and during the small-talk, the salesman mentioned it has been thier busiest January on record!! - also, when outside, the parts guy said things have been 'picking-up'
i thought, ...maybe thier trying to save face - but did get the impression that they being syncere:)

if there's a geographical market for 4x4s in the present climate I would think the Highlands would be it.;)

Trouble is the population density. The dealers don't get that much throughput on new cars. Wage rates (and cost of living) are generally lower. There are a lot of well used 4x4s up there. Turnove is low.

A family member who lives up that way has bought his last RRs in Perth and Newcastle to get what he wanted

used car sales are extremely busy at the moment... dont expect to use the credit crunch line anymore to get huge discounts...

I found prices better the further North you go - in England anyway. MB Wakefield had the E class estate I wanted and was many thousands less than a similar nearly new one in the South. Good part ex values too.

Some tasty PCP's on new E's from MB dealers and at excellent APR's with good GFV's. Subsidised by MB UK. But the moment you want nearly new, or a year or two old, the APR's go up a lot in my experience.

The MB website has an excellent search engine for approved used which will give you a good idea of dealer prices around the country.

I was down at MB Giffnock yesterday.....i had a coffe and during the small-talk, the salesman mentioned it has been thier busiest January on record!! - also, when outside, the parts guy said things have been 'picking-up'
i thought, ...maybe thier trying to save face - but did get the impression that they being syncere:)

That contrasts starkly with a chat I had with the salesman (MB of Glasgow - milton St) that sold me my car. He told me that several staff had been laid off, and that sales were down a lot (both new and used).

I enquired re trade prices from mine as I don't have a permanent contract @ work and he said the credit crunch has knocked value of my car. He took me round various cars on sale and told me if it weren't for the times they'd be a "great deal more expensive" and that margins are very low.

part ex

just as a warning so you are not shocked when you get prices.. expect around £2K to be knocked off the trade price due to the colour of your ML...

whats the deal with the colour ? - most of the people I know really like it :confused:

part ex

whats the deal with the colour - dont tell me I've bought an un-sellable one, I thought the only colour to avoid is the silver /gold effect ( forgot actual colour name :eek: )

I found prices better the further North you go - in England anyway. MB Wakefield had the E class estate I wanted and was many thousands less than a similar nearly new one in the South. Good part ex values too.

When I was looking to buy my car there was quite a gap in terms of price and selection between central Scotland and anywhere north of Stirling. Prices started to rise again south of Manchester too.

Once you get to Inverness the population density and economics shift considerably. Even though Inverness has had a bit of a population boom it's really a moderate sized town well away from any major cities. Aberdeen is the nearest proper city and is over a 100 miles away and there isn't much between.

whats the deal with the colour - dont tell me I've bought an un-sellable one, I thought the only colour to avoid is the silver /gold effect ( forgot actual colour name :eek: )

I think that you mean bronze, as the dodgy colour.

I actually quite like the red, but certainly when I was looking to buy mine, the reds were definitely cheaper and seemed to hang around longer.:crazy:

Anything red/maroon is not going to be popular, especially on an ML. Green is the next worst on the list.

The colour you refer to is cubanite silver which is actually not too bad. A lot of people like the colour..

If you want residuals stick to silver or black... and blue.

If you want any other colour then dont think about residuals!

When we looked at Cayennes, the sales man told us of a father and son who both bought Cayennes. One in burgandy with standard wheels, and one in black with huuuge wheels.

He said that both were repeat customers, and so they advised that the colour would affect residuals to the tune of £2-3k on the burgandy car. The dad said he wasn't concerned as it was the colour he wanted.

Of course on the upside, if you can find someone who is actively seeking a car in that colour you may actually be able to get more for it, as it will be relatively rare. A waiting game though, which a dealer/trader won't be interested in because of the affect on cash flow.

When we looked at Cayennes, the sales man told us of a father and son who both bought Cayennes. One in burgandy with standard wheels, and one in black with huuuge wheels.

He said that both were repeat customers, and so they advised that the colour would affect residuals to the tune of £2-3k on the burgandy car. The dad said he wasn't concerned as it was the colour he wanted.

Of course on the upside, if you can find someone who is actively seeking a car in that colour you may actually be able to get more for it, as it will be relatively rare. A waiting game though, which a dealer/trader won't be interested in because of the affect on cash flow.

The cayenne looks really good in that burgandy colour tho , with those silver handles and roof bars :) superb!

The cayenne looks really good in that burgandy colour tho , with those silver handles and roof bars :) superb!

I agree - looks great - on ML too actually.

Probably wouldn't actually buy one in that colour though.

Or..if you are prepared to accept red, you will save some money if you buy ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom