Part-ex value against private sale value

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
My 3 year PCP is up on my Lexus and the dealer I am buying my new car from has offered me £13,500 part-ex. If I sold it privately for £13,500 would this be really worth more than the dealer part-ex ie negotiate on screen price of the new car etc ?

depends on the real value of your car on second hand market.

I generally aim for >10% discount buying new with cash. Certainly possible on many up market marques.

It's simply down to the price to change?

Is it worth £13.5k privately? Would someone pay that turning up to your door rather than at a dealers? Do you have the time to sell privately?

If you sell privately is the new car not going to be discounted as much.

If your happy with the figures and look on piston heads / autotrader for values of your car then I have to say for ease of everything selling to dealer, picking up new car and driving home is easy :) also if you have a private plate getting them to sort all that Is worth a bit extra in hassle / time to you.

Yes they will probably make a little more but that makes the world go round.....

Why don't you just ask the dealer?
If he'll give you a discount without the PX then you can advertise the car yourself if the numbers stack up. Cost to change is the only important number (plus the agro of selling it yourself, being without a car for a while etc)

Play smart. Call round the lexus main dealers and ask if they are looking to buy your car for cash and see what you get offered.

Going in with no trade in will put you in a very strong position. Buying another lexus id make sure you were getting a good whack off it. Pitty you have just missed this quarter. Have you looked at infiniti cars? If you like lexus IMHO they are the same styling but just feel to be more modern and better.

I'm getting a Jaguar XF. 10 reg or 60 reg. Not buying new. Unless I win lotto not making that mistake again. Thought about the E350 CDI - that's nice but it costs loads extra for kit you get standard on XF.

How much are the dealers selling the same age / spec car for?

I'm getting a Jaguar XF. 10 reg or 60 reg. Not buying new. Unless I win lotto not making that mistake again. Thought about the E350 CDI - that's nice but it costs loads extra for kit you get standard on XF.

An interesting observation might be to see how the XF stacks up against its MB equivalent in resale value in say, 4 years time.
I would be fairly confident in guessing that the MB would retain a greater percentage of its value against the Jag.

Seeing more and more XF's around, I must say they are losing the "wow" factor. But of thats only my personal opinion of course.
MB cars seem to retain their appeal for longer - but then again, perhaps I am slightly biased! :eek:

Last edited:
Doesn't the PCP plan give you the option to just hand it back? If so what is the "cash" price for the jag? Then go work out what is best..

My cousin has an XF... i find that it's a thing of beauty; absolutely gorgeous and loads of toys!... but you look at it closely and cant help but find the mercs (comparing to my e class) are much better put together!
I think you'll find thats evident in their residuals; buy a jag then you'd best buy cheap and plan to keep till you run it into the ground!
... thats my take on it anyways :)

What is the mileage/ year etc of the Lexus? I can get you a trade price then you know what you are up against

What is the mileage/ year etc of the Lexus? I can get you a trade price then you know what you are up against

Hi, Cheers. It's an 08 reg Lexus IS250 SE-L Multimedia (auto). Silver. 38k.

I might punt it on eBay classified for £14500.

Hi, Cheers. It's an 08 reg Lexus IS250 SE-L Multimedia (auto). Silver. 38k.

I might punt it on eBay classified for £14500.
As a part-exchange you should expect to achieve nearer £14-14.5k if it is in excellent condition. :thumb:

If you can p/ex it for the price you were going to advertise it at then do it the easy way.
I wish had p/ex'd the q7 and taken the drop. Fed up of total t*ssers now :(

If you can p/ex it for the price you were going to advertise it at then do it the easy way.
I wish had p/ex'd the q7 and taken the drop. Fed up of total t*ssers now :(
Yes, trying to sell a big price car as a private person can be problems indeed.

Car dealers realy clean up on both sides of the deal with big price motors.

As for "WBAC" and similar, various stories of price offered on the internet offer/phone call offer is not like the cash you will get when you bring car to them.

Can anyone tell any numbers of offer price V's cash given for car when dropped off at WBAC or similar ????

I know of an 04 Renault Megane (big rse variety) last year which was rated at £1400 online and the final offer price at site was £750 - and declined obviously.

I understand they went over the car and it seemed like they had '-50' programmed into a calculator memory button and kept adding that to the total each time they 'spotted something else'.

There was nothing much wrong with it apart from a clonk which sounded like a ball joint at the front.

As a part-exchange you should expect to achieve nearer £14-14.5k if it is in excellent condition. :thumb:

It has a small dimple dent, a small scratch over rear wheel arch and bit of scuffing on alloys. A few little nicks and stone-chips here and there.

Possible could get £14k but if dealer offers £13.5k may just take it.

Also it's due MOT end April. Tax runs out end Apr. Needs service at 40k. Rear tyres are on 2mls.

Trade it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom