Part Number for C Class gearknob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
Can anyone with access to EPC look up the part number for the latest 2012 c class gearknob please. I have a 2008 but the plastic silver gearknob has faded where I tend to rest my hand and I like the leather trimmed one better.

I think the latest model has a black gearknob trimmed with leather. I have looked at the Russian site but I think its outdated, plus there were numerous part numbers for this part, probably for different colours?

Im looking for the black/silver leather trimmed gearknob in black.

Also, if anyones knows if its definately compatible with an 08 model and how to remove the existing gearknob, that would be handy. Is it a case of yanking it off or is there more to it?

Thanks for the help.

I have one of the standard plastic ones spare as i have a brabus one, and might have a leather one in a week or so if your interested, these would be from a 203 series C class, drop me a pm if you want with your no. and i'll give you a call.

as for removing it, if i remember correctly on my 203, and i'd assume the 204 is not too different, you remove the gator from the gate surround trim, then fold it up over teh shifter knob, kind of inside out, then there is a small section at the bottom of the knob that slides up the shaft and pushes + clips onto the lower section of the knob and traps the top of the gator, as well as closing up the bottom of the knob to the shaft.

I'll try and get a picture of it later tonight and post it up, hopefully it will be similar to yours

Last edited:
EPC needs a VIN number to search, or at least the long model number with the engine code e.g. 204.302

Right, bear in mind that these photo's are from the knob already removed (and btw, it's harder to get apart without the gator fitted !!)

ok then......

This is what the bottom of the knob looks like, the gator fits between the silver and black parts

The first thing to do, is as i said before, fold the gator back up, sort of turning it inside out, then take the black plastic part at the bottom and twist it clockwise, it fastens much like a lightbulb bayonet type fitting, this will then allow it to slide down the shaft and off the knob, like so.....

this should now allow the shifter knob to be drawn off the metal shaft. (if it doesn't then read below and see if you can release the next section first - although i suspect it will lift off at this stage)

the next part is slightly tricky, take note at this stage at the positioning of the remaining black plastic collar, this has areas/slots in the face that grips the leather to ensure the stitching and joint does not bulge when fitted together.

now, this is the tricky part, and almost impossible without the gator fitted !! look at the bottom and you will see it has 4 sections,

these can move inwards a small amount, just enough to release the collar, like so......

....push one in too far and the ones to each side wont move enough to release the collar, use the gator to apply a pulling force to the collar as you ease in the clip tabs, not too much, but a constant pressure, and then move from one to another, easing them in until the collar releases.....

Once it is apart, you can get a better idea of how it fits together, so study your replacement carefully before stripping the one in the car.... unless of course you go for a Brabus one or similar, which have a completely different fitting methodology.

Hope this is of some help

How did you get on with this? I got quoted £165 for one at Teesside Mercedes, i'm after one also

Result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom