Part refund query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
Here goes;

Basically there was an electronic part that goes into the back of the steering wheel on the Honda that governs the airbag/horn and the CVT gear change buttons that failed a few months back.

Now, my dad went to the dealer bought a brand new part and i fitted it in. 2 months afterwards it failed again.

So he goes back to the dealer and they said they'll need to charge him the £60 to diagnose the fault and it does turn out to be the part then they'll change it for him.

It did turn out to be at fault, so they ordered in a new part and fitted it. They then proceeded to tell us how the older part had broken connectors or something but this can't be because I fitted it myself and I know for a FACT that I didn't break anything upon fitting it.

So as a result of this 'broken connector' they said that honda might reject the claim, and in the meantime they will charge us for the work until the warranty goes through.

Now before I say what I think about it, what does the panel think about this?

Yeah, I see where you stand on this but the problem you have here is the part being DIY fitted.

It's left the dealership, failed and been brought back.

Determining what's been done, how it was handled/fitted whilst outside of the dealerships hands is giving them "wiggle room".

This is a tough one and I'd expect a compromise not an outright rejection, but that's more to do with it being Honda than being a reasonable outcome. Honda is all about customer service.

If this was Mercedes they'd deny the part existed at all and it must be a figment of your imagination before going down the "you broke it guv" route.

Last edited:
Were you given the chance to inspect the faulty part? Of course a broken connector may have been damaged by their own technicians, but still it would have been interesting to see if this was actually the cause of it malfunctioning.

It was DIY fitted, im afraid you have no legs.

True, but if the part isn't actually physically broken.... this is why I suggested for the OP to see it himself.

Well I kind've do have legs, they don't actually care where I've fitted it, they say that the part has slight damage to the connector and that's why they were worried that they wouldn't get their warranty money otherwise they wouldn't have charged us at all, according to the service manager.

But whats annoyed me is they carried out the work on the car and didn't tell us this til it was too late and my dad had to pay, personally if i was there i would have told them to remove it and leave the car in the condition it was in.

Also, for all i know, this 'damage' could have taken place while they were in the car, not me. The part worked perfectly for months and decided to fail randomly, it clearly has nothing to do with the 'damage'.

My experience of Honda dealers is they bend over backwards to help the client. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

If it was Mercedes you'd be billed for the part, labour and some other work they did without telling you first.
Honda, on the other hand will err on your side and probably send someone round your house to do the dishes and mow your lawn while you wait for it to be fixed.

Dealer's don't like self -fit guys. :ban: It deprives them of income on labour either from the customer or from Honda UK if its warranty. There is also the distinct possibility of incorrect fitment of course . :doh: Sometimes however they decide off their own bat to teach the customer " a little lesson" so the customer will "mend their ways" in the future. :devil: It might pay you to let slip you are so disappointed with the whole affair that you are thinking of writing to Honda UK detailing exactly what happened- not that you are blaming them--- the poor guys caught in the middle of course. You may find they will have a change of heart?:rolleyes:

Here goes;

Basically there was an electronic part that goes into the back of the steering wheel on the Honda that governs the airbag/horn and the CVT gear change buttons that failed a few months back.

Now, my dad went to the dealer bought a brand new part and i fitted it in. 2 months afterwards it failed again.

So he goes back to the dealer and they said they'll need to charge him the £60 to diagnose the fault and it does turn out to be the part then they'll change it for him.

It did turn out to be at fault, so they ordered in a new part and fitted it. They then proceeded to tell us how the older part had broken connectors or something but this can't be because I fitted it myself and I know for a FACT that I didn't break anything upon fitting it.

So as a result of this 'broken connector' they said that honda might reject the claim, and in the meantime they will charge us for the work until the warranty goes through.

Now before I say what I think about it, what does the panel think about this?

In writing:
1) Remind them of the Sales of Goods Act
2) Ask for evidence of damage
3) Attach your paperwork (invoices etc)
4) Escalate to Honda UK if you're convinced they're still wrong in their response to you.

Hi,

I have bought 7 new Honda's over the past 12 years from jazz to crv. My experience is that as stated up to about 3 years ago Honda where all about customer service & satisfaction and one of the reason for buying them but more recently noticed that customer service is taking second best to Honda & dealer profits and they have started the usual other manufacturer / dealer tricks in trying to rip off its customers which might be good for them in short term but in the long term will seriously impact on their future profits as alot of Honda customers are repeat customers due to past service. For example cost wise it costed more for a first service on my wife's crv than my BMW's 335i msport coupe first service, and the dealers where virtually next door to each other and they even tried charging my wife extra for adjusting handbrake when just paid £220 for basically an oil change. Don't think they will be getting my loyalty again unless attitudes changes back to what they were.

Last edited:
My CLK split the EGR downpipe so I bought one from my local dealers in late August this year. It was a 5 minute job to fit.

4 weeks later, going up a small hill from stationery, there was a small bang with loss of power and lots of black smoke. I pulled over and had a look and it was said pipe. It had popped off at the bottom. To fit it incorrectly would have taken a special effort and it looked as if it had come apart at the bottom anyway so I immediately took my now sick car back to the dealers.

Bear in mind that this is only a £55 part and I had spent c£450 with them on the day I bought it. (new lower joints and track rods)
Would they look at it - No.
Would they give me a new one - No.

They insisted that I had to book the car in for one of their mechanics to look at it. First available slot was 5 days hence so I had to take my sick car home. The engine management light came on on the way there. I had previously effected a repair with Gorilla tape to my old pipe so when I got home I swapped them over and the car was good again. The engine light even extinguished itself. The ring on the new pipe had simply disintegrated.

The following Tuesday I took the car round to them. I strenuously pointed out that under no circumstances would I be paying them that day - but that really confused them. They could not understand why someone would book their car in and not want to pay them.
I explained to them in great detail what I had done and what the symptons were. I also gave them the new faulty downpipe. The mechanic took one look under the engine and pointed to the Gorilla tape and said - that's your problem there ....aaagh. So I explained again.

One hour later I got my car back, washed, with a new downpipe and no charge.

All that for a £55 part that I had the audacity to fit myself. I wonder how much they would have charged to diagnose the split pipe, fit a new faulty one and then possibly charge again if I were not mechanically aware.

Just incase anyone was wondering... they did give me a full refund

If the connectors were broken why did it work for 2 months?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom