Part warrant returns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Just back from Spain and Portugal where some of you may remember the flasher unit failed. This was bought from Mercedes on May 11th this year.
The fault only develops when the car is hot. Not hot as in engine heat but hot as in Spanish heat.
Mercedes will not honour any part under warranty unless they can test and prove the part to be faulty. This means them taking my car for a morning. And anyway, they're not likely to duplicate the fault in Scottish heat.
So basically they're saying they won't take my word that the unit is faulty and they won't replace it without a positive test. So I'm going to be £101 out of pocket for another new one.
The problem I have is that this is company policy enforced by the dealer. I dont want to get on the wrong side of the dealer by issuing threats vis-a-vis consumer protection etc but where do I go from here?

You have to buy a repalcment part and request a Parts warranty return form and fill in the information and return to dealer with the old part and await Mercedes-Benz desscion on wether they regard it as warranty

Its prefable and easier if all transactions are with the same dealer.
but im sure the above system will work if supplied by another dealer.

Use the Sale of Goods Act - the part has to be of merchantable quality and do what it was intended to do, which it obviously doesnt!! It's lasted barely four months so you have this Act on your side.

Kick up a stink. Get on the wrong side of the Dealer? They don't give a damn, let's face it!! £100 to them is nothing, to us of course it's quite a lot for a small part!

^ Understood. But I really don't want to get on the wrong side of the parts dept who give me fantastic service other than this. This nonsense is Company policy but it's the wee guy in the parts dept who has to enforce it and who bears the brunt of the customers ire and whom I get on with really well.

Last edited:
You have to buy a repalcment part and request a Parts warranty return form and fill in the information and return to dealer with the old part and await Mercedes-Benz desscion on wether they regard it as warranty

Its prefable and easier if all transactions are with the same dealer.
but im sure the above system will work if supplied by another dealer.
What ive stated is the warranty procedure we adhire to in a Mercedes-Benz Commercial dealer in Kent
should be the same all id imagine

Whatever you do, do NOT try putting 240v through the pins as this is very dangerous!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Druk, you`ll prob find the part the dealer fitted is supplied\invoiced to the workshop by their own parts department anyway, just take the easy route wit hthe parts swap, im sure you wont upset the parts guys!

I was a cash purchase and fitted by me. Part of the 'flooding' insurance claim so I'm dealing direct with parts dept.

I was a cash purchase and fitted by me. Part of the 'flooding' insurance claim so I'm dealing direct with parts dept.
and as i stated abov ein instances as this you will need to by a repalcment fill in a Parts Warranty form and give that and the part to the dealer who will put in a warranty claim to Mercedes-Benz

Car booked in tomorrow at 1100 for them to 'test' the faulty part.

Watch this space.

Them testing wont grantee warranty it will jus make easier to prove its Mercedes-Benz that make the decsion not the dealer

Any dealer around the world will be able to check the part regardless of which dealer it was bought from. Every dealer will want to test it, as its and electrical part and ive lost count the number of times the old part gets returned by "mistake". Good luck though!

Any dealer around the world will be able to check the part regardless of which dealer it was bought from. Every dealer will want to test it, as its and electrical part and ive lost count the number of times the old part gets returned by "mistake". Good luck though!
it all depend on the circumstances of the purchese of the part.

i supplied and fitted by the dealer yes.

if supplied and fitted by the customer no.
We would just take the part from the customer hand his form to the warranty claims department who will try and claim on the parts warranty with Mercedes-Benz.

Mechanic took one look at it and said....."that's faulty that is".

New one on the way. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom