Part worn Winter tyres for spare rims?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
In my search for Winter tyres the prices seem to be going up daily,

That is for a make I have heared of.

Given I will use these for an upcoming trip to France and then hardly use the car over winter whats people thoughts on a part worn set for my spare orginal alloys?

The alloys will take 225/55/16

and I've seen these.

One central puncture repair

4X *WINTER* 225 55 R 16 VREDESTEIN 22555R16 225/55/R16 2255516 225 55 16 G20-21 | eBay

or these (or basically lots similar)

WINTER TYRES X4 225 55 16 CONTINENTAL SET | eBay

I already have the standard wheels that the car came with so for the holiday trip and just leaving on over winter whats the verdict?

I appreciate that they are not new, but 4.5mm / 5mm still pleanty of life? and if you bought a second hand car you would have no idea how many punctures etc.

Given the time of year I will be using these and the nature of what they going to be used for I thought not a bad idea..

Yes / No ? / why?

General view is that winter tyres are spent at 4mm tread depth, so these really don't have much life left in them. I would avoid.

In my search for Winter tyres the prices seem to be going up daily,

That is for a make I have heared of.

Given I will use these for an upcoming trip to France and then hardly use the car over winter whats people thoughts on a part worn set for my spare orginal alloys?

The alloys will take 225/55/16

and I've seen these.

One central puncture repair

4X *WINTER* 225 55 R 16 VREDESTEIN 22555R16 225/55/R16 2255516 225 55 16 G20-21 | eBay

or these (or basically lots similar)

WINTER TYRES X4 225 55 16 CONTINENTAL SET | eBay

I already have the standard wheels that the car came with so for the holiday trip and just leaving on over winter whats the verdict?

I appreciate that they are not new, but 4.5mm / 5mm still pleanty of life? and if you bought a second hand car you would have no idea how many punctures etc.

Given the time of year I will be using these and the nature of what they going to be used for I thought not a bad idea..

Yes / No ? / why?

Why not? if the price is right......I think I heard that in Austria winter tyres must have a minimum of 4mm. tread.....that could be used as a guide to effectiveness......wear the last couple of mms. down in the summer.

Mic

Probably a difficult one to answer... but how quickly do winter tyres wear compared to all season / summer tyres?

Assuming you're not planning on driving like the car has been stolen, do these wear more or less quickly than ordinary tyres.

I guess if you're driving on snow the wear would be a lot less than if you're driving on tarmac? :dk:

Would you get more miles out of 4mm on winter tyres as opposed to all season tyres?

I guess if you can answer that question you'll know whether they are a good buy or not.

(I'd be interested to know too ;))

As an aside reference used tyres......I bought a spare set of wheels from a member of the MBO Forum and they came c/w used (summer) tyres.......nothing wrong with the tyres and I am running the ''free'' rubber which was probably worth more than I paid for the wheels.....Michelin Pilots.

As a point of interest if a tyre was driven permanently on snow what would cause it to wear?

I've done around 5000 miles in my car this year and on the journey to France it's pretty much motorways all the way.

I didn't know 4mm on winters is low? Even more amazed they are the price they are.

I may take a punt on some as my current tyres are

245/40/18 and 265/35/18 almost new tyres but probably useless in bad weather (snow)

4mm is worn out on snow. Ok for summer use only.

I have done almost 40k miles on a set of Nokians and they still have 6mm left.

So is 4mm or 5mm snow tyres worse than using my almost new current summer tyres?

I thought new tyres were 8 or 9mm so you would like to think at 4 / 5mm they have 'life' left?

OK so now I'm searching this 4mm idea...

These do look pretty grippy at 5mm

VREDESTEIN22555R16.jpg

VREDESTEIN 22555R16

well i have got a set of nokians with 4.5mm for £160 and im pretty happy i will get through to feb/march in a safer fashion than i would with my 6mm "summer" falkens..... guess its each to their own

For used winters it is very important for the tyre to not be older then 3 years.After that rubber is loosing its abilities to grip in snow like it should.Had a set of used ones before it was like driving on summers.....a bit more grip

For used winters it is very important for the tyre to not be older then 3 years.After that rubber is loosing its abilities to grip in snow like it should.Had a set of used ones before it was like driving on summers.....a bit more grip

That is interesting......but.....if an average user covers 10k miles/year and say 4k miles of those are on winter tyres, say from mid November to the end of March......and the life of the tyres is, say, 20k miles that means that they will be expected to serve five winters.
Three years does not seem to be an adequate life span for a winter only tyre.

Mic

The fuss with these winter tyres seems worse if buying new also

only 3 years out of them (or 3 winters) only 4mm then throw away

then in Costco for my current rims they are over £200 a corner even with the discount...

I'm looking at part worns I think, they have to be better than summer ones just for my trip.

How many people really change then in 3 years and at 4mm ?

last year i got a set of part worn winter tyres for both the alfa (just sold these actually) and a set for the mercedes.

both at around 5mm of tread.

the difference between the all-seasons and the winters is huge. well worth buying and as you say there are great savings to be had against cost of new.

go for it.

Derek

I got a set of good winter tyres part worn in the summer.
It was a set of 4 Michelin 235/45/17 cost me £159.95 and they are all around 4.5mm.

Thanks all I'm going to get some part worns.

I see no point in changing my almost new 18" tyres over then swapping to change over again in winter. Even more so as I have the original 16" sat doing nothing.

Will post back when sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom