Parts Department Epic Fail = Good Friday 10pm Finish for Me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
One of the lads little Hyundai I10 snaps it's clutch cable on Monday.
When I go to check, cable snapped and the bracket that holds the pedal has snapped 2 studded bolts.
Quick check and the cable is a dealer only part. :(
Off I trot to local dealer on Monday with cable and bracket (with part no. on it) in hand.
£110 for cable, delivery Wednesday and £30 for bracket delivery "by" Friday.

I call Thursday, "no bracket still not here, we will call you as soon as it arrives Friday".

By 2pm Friday no call from dealer, call them and low and behold "yes it is here".

So off I trot again to said dealer and I get handed a clutch cable (looks same) and a bracket that looks nothing like the one I took in.
When I ask what it is I'm told "it's the one you asked us to order", hang on I say and I nip and get the one I took in first time and point out this is what you were to order.

We then go round the "don't know if this part is available etc. etc." and eventually arrive at it is, it's now £96 and earliest delivery would be Wednesday.

So with the car possibly off the road now for 10 days and costing nearly £70 more in parts we get the bracket on the bench and weld and grind this back into shape, couple of hours later and it's ready to go for fitment.

I arrive just as it's getting dark and have to fumble around with torches eventually getting this in, then the cable adjusted then everything else back together.

And just for the icing I skinned my knuckles adjusting the cable.

Hardly surprising I no longer use my nearest Mercedes dealer as thay are owned by the same group.

That's my rant for the day then........:)

What year and engine was the i10 bud out of interest?

What year and engine was the i10 bud out of interest?

2010 1.2 petrol, I tried all our local factors for cable but no one could supply.

Apparently the cable rusting and becoming extra heavy is a common problem which is what has caused bracket damage.

£110.00 for a clutch cable is an awful lot of cash, how do they justify that? The bracket £90? Even at £30.00 I would have thought you could have bettered a factory part with your own fabrication, as you ended up doing. Top marks on that, nothing like a wee saving !
Sadly, we are in an age of the lack of lubrication nipples to keep cables smooth and the clutch action light. Pre- greased cables never seem to last long, just a smear of grease, that gets easily baked off in an engine compartment. Last time I fitted a clutch cable, I filled a balloon with oil, wrapped the end over the cable and squeezed oil down the cable, as you would do, lubricating motorcycle cables. Clutch cables just seem a disposable part these days.

Steve.

£110.00 for a clutch cable is an awful lot of cash, how do they justify that?

Probably because they know they can get it being the only supplier and they know the cars have a problem with the cable rusting up and snapping.

The bracket £90? Even at £30.00 I would have thought you could have bettered a factory part with your own fabrication, as you ended up doing. Top marks on that, nothing like a wee saving

That's what we ended up with in the end, a much stronger bracket due to the extra metal we put in it.

I think you will find if you price parts for Hyundai and Kia , you will find many are very expensive. And I mean expensive.

I think you will find if you price parts for Hyundai and Kia , you will find many are very expensive. And I mean expensive.

They certainly are, I won't be rushing back to that parts dept. any time soon (hopefully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom