Parts department speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Yesterday my drivers side Window motor packed up (with the window fully open :( ). Obviously I didnt fancy having the glass gaffer taped up for too long so I wanted a new motor *FAST*.

Rang Greenoaks in Slough and they said that assuming there was stock in the UK, they could get me one in two days @ £130. Not being happy with this, I rang around a few other dealerships and was met with a similar response.

In desperation, I rang Eurocarparts who said that they could only supply a genuine part for the coupe as it was different than on the saloon models. Although they said they had no stock, they said if it was urgent, they could pull some strings and with a bit of luck they could get it to the Reading branch within two hours!! Sure enough, when I went to their parts desk, low and behold, still in its original MB packaging with the holographic seal intact; sat my new window motor. (interesting that it was a W129 part number)

What I dont understand is how the H#ll Eurocarparts could get the parts quicker than all the MB dealers that I contacted? Not to mention the fact that it was 20% cheaper than from the dealer.

Anybody out there comprehend how this could be?

Last edited:
It is indeed unfortunate.

When I go out to Eurocarparts or speak to them on the phone, they bend over backwards (and probably forwards if you ask) to help no matter how strange the enquiry.

My guess is that dealers figure they have it sewn up, so they perform only to the metrics set up my the DaimlerChrysler group.

Where *necessary* I'll visit a dealer. For everything else, there's Eurocarparts.

They actually feel the need to earn their money.

Could be that MB are lean when storing stock? I find this sometimes in my area of work. Phone up the original manufacturer of an instrument for a replacement part or a replacement unit and they'll quote weeks for delivery time. Yet on the same day call up an authorised distributor or reseller and they can supply what you're after in half the time and usually at a better discount.

I agree Sp!ke, it does seem daft at times.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom